The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks may offer sheet an RFA this summer

2019, Montreal offer sheets Sebastian Aho. Carolina matches.

2021 Carolina offer sheets Jesperi Kotkaniemi and because Montreal was already maxed out, they had to let a former 3rd overall player walk. But hey they got a 1st and 3rd out of it right? 

So again. Why ask for retaliation? How about look at US colleges or Europe for players that don't need tactics like this? 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, mll said:

The team making the offer-sheet will be doing just that.  They too have a cap structure and will want to remain reasonable.  Can't see NYI being in the slightest concerned.

And they probably aren't (overly). Again, I was going off the other poster saying they were tight on cap. But teams don't like to overpay players either. Particularly teams looking to contend. And no, some teams can afford to pay more short term to acquire a player and could theoretically use their cap space as leverage, like Carolina did (though the Canucks are clearly not there yet). 

The Islanders may have cap space now but they also need some pretty sizeable improvements at F, guys with pending raises the next couple years (including Barzal) and urgency to make hay. And again, I'm merely suggesting it as a possible trade leverage tactic. I'm not suggesting it would be a successful offer sheet (or that we actually even make the offer sheet). The two are not exclusive.

Edited by aGENT

29 minutes ago, King Loui said:

How could we possibly go 3 straight years without a 1st round pick?   We need elite youth, we need ELC's.  Enough is enough 

Ahhh, and there's the rub. On the one hand, CDC is willing to give up draft picks to offer sheet another player, or to off load a pick to sweeten a deal to trade an unwanted. On the other hand, CDC also bemoans and chastised the lack of player development on the farm. Yet, management continuously traded away draft picks for the now, leaving very few quality players to develop. Ironically, CDC apparently wants to have both opposites at the same time. Goo figure.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Looking back, what was Benning thinking?  Passing on Tkachuk to take Juolevi. :picard:  Yep, expert scout

It wasn't because of injuries either, Juolevi just wasn't a top tier prospect.  His London stats were good but considering the teams he was on and the amount of goals those teams scored his stats should of been better.  Top tier defenceman who go in the first round playing on teams like that easily put up over a point per game, Juolevi wasn't even close.  His draft +1 there was little to no improvements, his stats were the exact same despite being a year older.  They were there scouting the London Knights, how could you pick Juolevi over the power-forward who broke into the NHL in his draft +1?  Absolutely brutal scouting.  

Edited by King Loui
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, King Loui said:

It wasn't because of injuries either, Juolevi just wasn't a top tier prospect.  His London stats were good but considering the teams he was on and the amount of goals those teams scored his stats should of been better.  Top tier defenceman who go in the first round playing on teams like that easily put up over a point per game, Juolevi wasn't even close.  His draft +1 there was little to no improvements, his stats were the exact same despite being a year older.  They were there scouting the London Knights, how could you pick Juolevi over the power-forward who broke into the NHL in his draft +1?  Absolutely brutal scouting.  

Benning should have kept his nose out of our scouts’ jobs.  Him going to watch a prospect for a few games and then believing he knew better than guys who put in years watching these players was beyond arrogant.  

19 hours ago, aGENT said:

Perhaps it's part of the trade negotiations in a potential Miller move...?

The threat of an offer sheet can be just as good (better?) than an actual successful offer sheet, in trade negotiation.

Miller for Dobson or we'll offer sheet him and &^@# your already tight cap situation scenario...

66D27C67-66B2-4A90-BD1B-0B4BFC5F3925.jpeg.d95e0ac8082f2c7a997943196188f866.jpeg.db5db333f330bdf04902b433061ecaac.jpeg

So I have noticed a lot of posters on here thinking we would give up this years 1st if we offer sheet someone... Here is the offseason

Draft Lottery - May 10th

Draft - July 7th

Free Agency - July 13th

Draft will already have happened before we are even capable of sending out an offer sheet so unless we trade our 1st on draft day, we are going to be drafting in the first round this year

23 hours ago, aGENT said:

And they probably aren't (overly). Again, I was going off the other poster saying they were tight on cap. But teams don't like to overpay players either. Particularly teams looking to contend. And no, some teams can afford to pay more short term to acquire a player and could theoretically use their cap space as leverage, like Carolina did (though the Canucks are clearly not there yet). 

The Islanders may have cap space now but they also need some pretty sizeable improvements at F, guys with pending raises the next couple years (including Barzal) and urgency to make hay. And again, I'm merely suggesting it as a possible trade leverage tactic. I'm not suggesting it would be a successful offer sheet (or that we actually even make the offer sheet). The two are not exclusive.

Lamoriello today said that his priority is to improve their defence offensively.  No different than what Trotz has been saying during the season - the Fs can't score if the Ds aren't efficient at moving the puck out.  

On 5/8/2022 at 12:45 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

2019, Montreal offer sheets Sebastian Aho. Carolina matches.

2021 Carolina offer sheets Jesperi Kotkaniemi and because Montreal was already maxed out, they had to let a former 3rd overall player walk. But hey they got a 1st and 3rd out of it right? 

So again. Why ask for retaliation? How about look at US colleges or Europe for players that don't need tactics like this? 

Could be many reasons why they want to leave this open.

Rutherford has said he wanted to weed out the rats in the organization. Perhaps this was some leaked "info" and see where it comes out from the media to pinpoint that.

It could be a threat to teams to pressure them to sign their guys more quickly and hurt their cap situations (although this would have longer effects on us signing RFAs to comparable deals).

Perhaps we are inviting retaliation in hopes someone offer sheets Boeser and we take the picks and run.

At the end of the day, I'd be surprised if we did offer sheet anyone as I don't really see many targets that are worth the trouble. Offer sheets are only effective (to actually want to get the player) if you overpay on top of giving up the picks. We aren't in a position to overpay.

5 hours ago, mll said:

Lamoriello today said that his priority is to improve their defence offensively.  No different than what Trotz has been saying during the season - the Fs can't score if the Ds aren't efficient at moving the puck out.  

60185780.jpg

8 hours ago, mll said:

So why are you suggesting that they would trade Dobson for Miller when they feel they need to add more Ds like him.  

I was just posting off the other poster's idea and that morphed in to a discussion about how offer sheets, or even the threat of them, can sometimes be used as trade negotiation catalyst (even for a different player than the one you're threatening to offer sheet). And again, in this theoretical scenario, the Islanders would theoretically need to respond to the offer sheet or even threat of one regardless. It has literally nothing to do with what they'd "like" or "feel" about their roster, or Dobson.

19 hours ago, mll said:

OEL!  

22 hours ago, CR7 said:

So I have noticed a lot of posters on here thinking we would give up this years 1st if we offer sheet someone... Here is the offseason

Draft Lottery - May 10th

Draft - July 7th

Free Agency - July 13th

Draft will already have happened before we are even capable of sending out an offer sheet so unless we trade our 1st on draft day, we are going to be drafting in the first round this year

Yep... the entire thing was speculation from Friedman based only on the fact we re-acquired our own pick for this year's draft.  The entire thing is meaningless since he was wrong about how it works and this year's draft has nothing to do with offer sheets.

It makes for an interesting discussion point since we don't have anything else meaningful to discuss until the end of the playoffs... but there is really nothing substantive behind it.

Edited by Provost

11 minutes ago, Provost said:

Yep... the entire thing was speculation from Friedman based only on the fact we re-acquired our own pick for this year's draft.  The entire thing is meaningless since he was wrong about how it works and this year's draft has nothing to do with offer sheets.

It makes for an interesting discussion point since we don't have anything else meaningful to discuss until the end of the playoffs... but there is really nothing substantive behind it.

Hmmm... I have an idea... hear me out on this one... what about discussing Miller?  Should we trade him?  Or should we re-sign him?  Should be an interesting topic of discussion.

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Hmmm... I have an idea... hear me out on this one... what about discussing Miller?  Should we trade him?  Or should we re-sign him?  Should be an interesting topic of discussion.

Arguments to be made on both sides of that one. Would I trade him, yes, but the return has to be good. If NYR decide he is the missing piece I would be looking for Lafreniere, Schneider and a 1st to start the convo, but this is being discussed in the Trade, Rumors and Signings thread

3 minutes ago, CR7 said:

Arguments to be made on both sides of that one. Would I trade him, yes, but the return has to be good. If NYR decide he is the missing piece I would be looking for Lafreniere, Schneider and a 1st to start the convo, but this is being discussed in the Trade, Rumors and Signings thread

WOOOOOSH!!! :lol:

• Cheers 1

Heard Shannon,   Around the 23:00 mark the conversation goes to

RFA Pierre Luc Dubois..  needs a QO of 6m.

98165633-27BF-44E5-810F-5F4836939FD8.thumb.jpeg.8cc5b5d0264b38fcd2114cdc4f6e342f.jpeg

I was hoping we could have grabbed him in the draft ,  lottery didn’t help much.

But maybe we’re in, or can be in the position make an offer .

Thoughts?