The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What would the OEL/Garland trade look like this summer instead of last summer (Discussion)

29 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

That OEL contract is a non-starter even with the $990,000 retained.  Let's face it, the contract is virtually unmoveable so the real elephant in the room on D is OEL.  

And to compensate for OEL’s contract we will need to move Myers.  Then replace Myers with a much cheaper player.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

And to compensate for OEL’s contract we will need to move Myers.  Then replace Myers with a much cheaper player.  

And when they've done that, they'll need to add a top 4 RHD

Seriously, both OEL and Myers are decent top 4 players, their salaries are both too high which is why you're not likely to move either without a lot of salary retained.  They're not as bad as Player Name was because they can play.  If Allvin can find a top 4 RHD who can partner up with Hughes, it pushes everyone down and tweeners like Hunt and Burroughs drop out of the top 6.  Guys like Myers will improve a lot under a structured system.  

Hughes XXXXXX

OEL Myers

Dermott Schenn

The D would still be $3-4M over priced but Myers will age out in 2 years.  I don't have an answer for OEL though.  Hence my elephant in the room comment.

15 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Well, you see, I do not see it as clearly as you...........

I see we would have had Guenther, which had an outstanding year in junior

We would have our 2nd this year

And we would have had, more likely a top 10 pick this year

Plus we would have had, approx. 12 million dollars this year

and if we do the trade this year, we do not have to spend as much on Garland and OEL

All of which collectively is worth a hell of alot more than our non-playoff run this year, and still probably would have resulted in a coaching change

But all I am really saying is that, waiting one year would have given us more for less

We would have been murdered, our younger budding super stars would have been run and our amazing goalie would have been meat without the money spent on OEL. 

What’s the point in winning the draft if you just mangle your stats like Edmonton did and Buffalo and Zona does.  

we missed by inches, it’s supposed to suck and I want those budding superstars to think about how it’s not as much fun watching the sport you live than playing the sport you love. 

love to Brock and his family.  

peace. 

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

We would have been murdered, our younger budding super stars would have been run and our amazing goalie would have been meat without the money spent on OEL. 

What’s the point in winning the draft if you just mangle your stats like Edmonton did and Buffalo and Zona does.  

we missed by inches, it’s supposed to suck and I want those budding superstars to think about how it’s not as much fun watching the sport you live than playing the sport you love. 

love to Brock and his family.  

peace. 

Here is the thing...........these players have not always won, in fact some come from loosing junior programs, but they still developed, they are still winners

Speaking of Edmonton, they are a  great example of a team, not finishing their rebuild, for what ever reason..........RNH, MCD, Drai, etc..but they for got their Dmen, and goalie, and it took a hell of alot long to do the rebuild because of that.

The fact is there are alot of ways to win a championship, but for certain, they are not weak on any position.....................

Just now, J.I.A.H.N said:

Here is the thing...........these players have not always won, in fact some come from loosing junior programs, but they still developed, they are still winners

Speaking of Edmonton, they are a  great example of a team, not finishing their rebuild, for what ever reason..........RNH, MCD, Drai, etc..but they for got their Dmen, and goalie, and it took a hell of alot long to do the rebuild because of that.

The fact is there are alot of ways to win a championship, but for certain, they are not weak on any position.....................and I think we are a long way from that!

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Was it Benning’s choice to go all in last summer, or was that a directive from above?  Benning himself, after that OEL Trade, said he hated giving up their first.  

Benning seemed to be trying to keep his job through that move.
I think if Rutherford/ Allvin had taken the reins they'd find ways to flip Beagle/ Roussel for 5th round picks to contenders (pending UFA's won't cost that much, and just see how we found a home for Hamonic), then we might just keep Loui for the year, and separately tried to get major retention for OEL (they had leverage with the news that he wanted to leave the Coyotes to either us or Boston, wonder if he would have sat out if his wishes weren't met?).  Garland we might've had to pony up assets to get which I would've be fine not doing (I think the reason we got him was that it was tethered and superglued to OEL's contract).  

• Cheers 1

On 5/8/2022 at 1:37 PM, Coconuts said:

In retrospect I'd rather we had not made that trade

Just ride it out with Rouss, Loui, and Beagle for one more year and we'd be home free with a whack of cap 

I like Garland, and I think OEL's got more to give if paired with someone more defensively minded, but I think Benning tried pushing too early 

I really pushed for that on this site all last year "just wait - all the cap is going to go away soon enough blah blah blah blah"....and said Pearson all year long was low hanging trade deadline bait.    Then JB did his thing and signed him to a better deal then i thought we'd get with him ... team friendly enough to make it ok.   I was fine with losing Guenther - but if Clarke slipped to us i'd have been pissed.   At the time what we dumped was worth a lot more (as in we should have paid more) then we actually did.    Wasn't a horrible trade .. without any context.  Of course things didn't work out.   Too much roster change and we lost 80% of our forward PKers. 

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

I really pushed for that on this site all last year "just wait - all the cap is going to go away soon enough blah blah blah blah"....and said Pearson all year long was low hanging trade deadline bait.    Then JB did his thing and signed him to a better deal then i thought we'd get with him ... team friendly enough to make it ok.   I was fine with losing Guenther - but if Clarke slipped to us i'd have been pissed.   At the time what we dumped was worth a lot more (as in we should have paid more) then we actually did.    Wasn't a horrible trade .. without any context.  Of course things didn't work out.   Too much roster change and we lost 80% of our forward PKers. 

I was okay with the trade at the time, not blown away but okay. I'd def take the cap flex now, and I still view both players as useful pieces. 

Not having PK forwards was a huge blow, win some of those games we get lit up and who knows.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I was okay with the trade at the time, not blown away but okay. I'd def take the cap flex now, and I still view both players as useful pieces. 

Not having PK forwards was a huge blow, win some of those games we get lit up and who knows.

We lost too many one goal (and empty net ones - so two goal games in some cases) because our PK was just downright terrible ... both special teams were actually.     It's unfortunate.    Part of that is just how massive of a roster chance we had, part of that is coaching, and part of that was, for whatever reason 2/3 of our young guys just didn't come in ready to play.    Amazing to think we were 20 games in and on the way to setting a record for the worst PK all-time lol.    

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

We lost too many one goal (and empty net ones - so two goal games in some cases) because our PK was just downright terrible ... both special teams were actually.     It's unfortunate.    Part of that is just how massive of a roster chance we had, part of that is coaching, and part of that was, for whatever reason 2/3 of our young guys just didn't come in ready to play.    Amazing to think we were 20 games in and on the way to setting a record for the worst PK all-time lol.    

It was a season to remember, for the bad as much as their trying to climb out of the hole

OEL was a good overall addition for us this year and was better than people give him credit for. All things being equal, I'd be leaning towards keeping him, but the simple fact is, he doesn't fit salary wise into where the team is now.

We need to reset our defense and we're too salary heavy on the left side. If we could move OEL, the need to move Myers diminishes.

Anytime Hughes was out of the lineup this season, OEL was effective at generating offense while still being reliable defensively. For a team that needs a little more leadership and structure on the left side, he should be an attractive piece to bring in.

Considering OEL was rumored to be receptive to Vancouver or Boston as a landing spot, and that we could use some beefing up on LW, and DeBrusk, it's widely believed has indicated he'd like out of Boston, maybe something like:

To Boston:

OEL with 750k retained (brings him down to 6.5 million)

To Vancouver:

DeBrusk, 2022 4th round pick

Boston could then turn around and flip one of their other LD for other assets to balance out the rest of their cap next year.