The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Horse Racing Thread

UnkNuk

Rich Strike, 80-1 Long Shot, Wins Kentucky Derby in Stunning Upset

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/05/07/sports/kentucky-derby-horse-race?campaign_id=60&emc=edit_na_20220507&instance_id=0&nl=breaking-news&ref=cta&regi_id=56405277&segment_id=91641&user_id=dc88543b79693b0f05322365a827e237

:shock:

Why do I even bother looking at the past performances???

Edited by UnkNuk
  • Vintage 1

It was a brilliant run! I thought my daughter had bet that horse but she hadn't.

This is where I watched the race from. Hastings was a great place to go after having COVID...outdoors, found a nice spot with no one around and had a great day. Dad bet Epicenter and it looked like a clear win...until the final surge in the stretch. What a race.

I almost always bet longshots but went for Happy Jack.

Rich Strike's trainer:

"I about fell down in the paddock when he hit the wire," winning trainer Eric Reed said. "I about passed out."

image.png

• Like 1

The Hastings program still had Rich Strike as an eligible/possibility only (along with Rattle N Roll, which is the horse my daughter was eyeing up). Printed before Ethereal Road was scratched late Friday (at the deadline) and Rich Strike got in late as entry #21.

It was the first derby for the jockey and trainer.

Both Leon, from Venezuela, and Reed were in their first Derby. Reed endured a tragedy five years ago when he lost nearly two dozen horses in a barn fire at his training center in Lexington.

He briefly considered the fire might be a signal for him to leave the sport.

"People I hadn't seen, people I haven't talked to in years, my best friends were there in the morning to pick me up," Reed recalled. "It let me know there's so much good out there, and then I just decided I wasn't going to let it take me out."

Leon regularly rides on some of the country's smallest circuits, where the horse flesh is inexpensive and the purse money modest. But he matched wits with such veteran riders as Joel Rosario, aboard Epicenter, and Mike Smith, aboard Messier.

Leon's rail ride was reminiscent of jockey Calvin Borel's stealth move aboard Mine That Bird in 2009. Mine That Bird sprang what was then the Derby's third-biggest upset, paying $103.20 to win.

Also...that was the highest win payout at the derby since 1913.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

And in the event you missed the race:

Incredible race! Rich Strike was such a long shot that the announcer never even mentions his name with all the ground he’s gaining. Still not even an afterthought when he pulls into third place. A beautiful race by the horse and a masterful ride by the jockey, maneuvering through the crowded field from so far back.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

image.png

Patience. Waited for a clear line through then that horse took off. Was really quite something to see on the overhead view. Would have NEVER imagined that this horse could've somehow found a way at this point here.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

It was really quite something to see that exact moment (here) when the jockey decided to get off the rail to split the two horses and steer his horse to the right. Brilliant move/ride, awesome horse.

This split second decision (well, and the ones leading up to it) really gave this horse the path to win the race.

image.pngimage.png

• Cheers 1

Interesting factoid about this year's KD.....one of the pre-race favorites (at 6-1) was a horse named "Messier" and yes, he was named after Mark Messier.

He ended up in 15th place, which is another reason for Canuck fans to feel good about this result....:towel:

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

Good analysis of what happened in the race here:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/explainer-81-shot-rich-strike-won-kentucky-derby-84577309

This doesn’t happen. Horses at odds of nearly 81-1 don’t win the Kentucky Derby. Jockeys who have never won any big stakes race of any kind don’t win the Kentucky Derby. Owners with fewer than 10 career wins don’t win the Kentucky Derby.

Rich Strike and his connections disagree with those sentiments.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Interesting factoid about this year's KD.....one of the pre-race favorites (at 6-1) was a horse named "Messier" and yes, he was named after Mark Messier.

He ended up in 15th place, which is another reason for Canuck fans to feel good about this result....:towel:

I was cheering HARD against that horse. (Truth)

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Good analysis of what happened in the race here:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/explainer-81-shot-rich-strike-won-kentucky-derby-84577309

This doesn’t happen. Horses at odds of nearly 81-1 don’t win the Kentucky Derby. Jockeys who have never won any big stakes race of any kind don’t win the Kentucky Derby. Owners with fewer than 10 career wins don’t win the Kentucky Derby.

Rich Strike and his connections disagree with those sentiments.

My favourite Hastings jockey (Mario Gutierrez) also proved that.

After Mario won the derby he came back to Hastings to race. I took this pic of him....I was thrilled that he actually posed for it!

His mentor, Glen Todd, recently passed and I hear it hit Mario very hard. He was instrumental in bringing him here and helping his racing career take off.

image.png

He was a regular in the Hasting's winner's circle.

image.png

image.png

This is a picture I took of Mario and Glen...

image.png

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Looks like Rich Strike won't be competing in the Preakness:

https://www.cbssports.com/general/news/2022-preakness-stakes-horses-contenders-odds-date-expert-who-called-kentucky-derby-double-makes-picks/

The horse racing calendar continues on Saturday, May 21 with the 2022 Preakness Stakes at Pimlico Racetrack. On Thursday, it was revealed that Rich Strike, who won the Kentucky Derby as an 80-1 long shot, will not compete in the 2022 Preakness Stakes field and will instead be pointed to the Belmont in June. That leaves Epicenter as the 3-1 favorite in the 2022 Preakness Stakes odds ahead of Monday's 2022 Preakness Stakes post draw at 4 p.m. ET. Secret Oath, who won the Kentucky Oaks, is 11-2 in the Preakness 2022 odds and looking to become the first filly to win since 2020.

• Vintage 1