The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New management worries me

Rate this topic

grandmaster

7 hours ago, -DLC- said:

So you overlook:  Jovo, Brashear, Rypien, Bertuzzi, Walker, Bieksa, Hordichuk....

I overlooked more than just them

Who was there to take on Scott Thronton in 2011?

Bieksa?

Oreskovich?

I was not happy with the Rutherford hiring, not going to lie. Sure, he's got a good track record in terms of Cups but he's made some really bad trades in his time, and you could argue he "got luck" with those Cups having the stars of Pittsburgh given to him as such high picks. 

On the other side, he did add some nice depth pieces to those squads and is well known around the league by now. I think more of a positive is that he's not the GM and the only guy in charge, and I hope there'll be more of a committee-based approach to managing this team with all these assistant hirings. Allvin is still very fresh and has a pretty brutal drafting record, but I like the look of our assistants and management team as a whole.

Early signs are that they wanted to keep Boudreau (which is a win in my book) and the only moves they made were to acquire Dermott and trade Motte. These were both very minor trades but still, smart cap-wise. I think it shows us that they've got the cap in mind and won't make big splashes, they're much more conservative than JB and that's what this team needs right now - some stability.

With all the talk around all these star young forwards and trades, I don't think we're going to see one. We're not going to see a blockbuster Boeser/Miller trade. We're just going to see some minor ones to free up cap (eg. hopefully flip Dickinson/Poolman to whoever for late picks/nothing) and I think the management team are (hopefully) going to keep this team relatively stable.

Rutherford did keep mentioning that he hates our defence breakout which I thought was a bit harsh. I think we have good puck movers in Hughes, OEL, and Schenn's passing up ice has really improved after playing with Hughes. Dermott is pretty decent too and Myers has as well, but in his opinion we suck at it. I worry this might spell some big changes on defence in the off-season.

All I'll say is that this is a middle of the pack defence at best right now. We've got a 7th defenceman (Schenn) playing on our top unit - partly because he's fit in well but partly because we just don't have anyone good enough to play on the top pairing on the right side. OEL and Myers have been a very solid shutdown pair (albeit overpaid) and I think we've got some fantastic 3rd pairing pieces in Dermott, Rathbone (who really deserves a shot next year) and Burroughs (and even Hunt to be fair).

If we can just straight up acquire a top right defenceman, great, but I doubt that trade we all want (eg. Boeser/Miller for someone like Schneider) is going to happen - it's much too gutsy and JB-esque. Instead, we may well see Myers traded and a right handed defenceman acquired to play with Hughes, while Dermott/Schenn go down to play with OEL - essentially trading Myers for a cheaper, younger right handed defenceman.

On 5/8/2022 at 7:43 PM, grandmaster said:

The trajectory of this team is upwards, if we keep the main pieces intact.

Reasons why:

- the team has proven coaching was their biggest problem at the start of the season. The record speaks for itself once BB arrived. We just barely missed the playoff mark!

- QH is a top 10 NHL defender who has made great strides in his defensive side of the game. He is getting better and the sky is the limit for this guy. I see him getting a Norris trophy in the near future.

- Miller effect. One of the greatest leaders this team has seen. Plays well in all situations and puts his heart and soul out there. He will continue to be a top 10 NHL scoring leader & gets better every season he plays.

- Demko is a top 5 NHL goalie and will have a good back up next season. He won’t be so overplayed, making his game stronger all season.

The above 3 is what you need to win a Cup. The complimentary pieces in Bo, Brock and Petey are also nothing to sneeze at.

They seem so tight and truly care for each other (look at Brock’s press conference).

Our core is getting better and I have trust that with BB, we can not only make the playoffs next season, we can contend.

New management and their remarks so far scare me. I fear we will be taking a  step backwards when the team is destined to go further forward. It so obvious they are itching to make changes so they have their stamp on things. Let’s hope they are not bad decisions…..

I used to get a once in the life time kinda experience flying in and out of logging camps on the west coast in Beavers… if you don’t know what a flying beaver is… then you have to look that up..

it’s a float plane… 

so the best and or worst flights to get were the ones that others said, ‘Nope, I will take the boat… a three to four hour trip. 

that’s when the flight ceiling drops and the pilots fly in between the waves and the land marks, and ‘Island Hopping’ takes on the whole new meaning… 

i would sit in the front with the Pilot… thinking, better not to survive the crash, but enjoy the landing… 

others worried. 

guess what… none of us had any control but the pilot… 

so hope for a landing….