The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New management worries me

Rate this topic

grandmaster

2 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

I agree the asset management was terrible in those cases and of course Miller makes us a better team next year and improves our chances at the playoffs, I’ve never said otherwise. I do think it’s unwise to sign him for 7 years at 8.5 million with some of the other terrible contracts we already have but solely as a player I love Miller. But if the Rangers offer Chytl, Schneider and a first then I think it’s best for the organization. We don’t have to agree on how we would build a team, but at the end of the day we both want the same thing, a Stanley cup

If you want that major haul from NYR for Miller you better cheer for Pitt to knock them out.  a poor playoff result for NYR means more likely they consider the trade you want.

I just think we should keep our powder dry and make smaller moves while making the playoffs each year..

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, fanfor42 said:

If you want that major haul from NYR for Miller you better cheer for Pitt to knock them out.  a poor playoff result for NYR means more likely they consider the trade you want.

I just think we should keep our powder dry and make smaller moves while making the playoffs each year..

I get where you’re coming from, I’m just worried more about our cap moving forward then you are. Different philosophies and that’s ok. 

35 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Kuzmenko - Miller - Kakko

Podkolzin - Pettersson - Boeser

Horvat to C the 3rd line

OEL - Severson

Hughes - Schenn

please

I am doubtful Kuzmenko is a 1st line caliber player. Top 3 players in the KHL (PPG) Gusev and Shipachyov aren't exactly world beaters. 

# PLAYER TEAM GP G A TP PPG PIM +/-
1. 9.png Vadim Shipachyov (C)logos Dynamo Moskva 48 24 43 67 1.40 47 11
2. 9.png Andrei Kuzmenko (LW)logos SKA St. Petersburg 45 20 33 53 1.18 10 15
3. 9.png Nikita Gusev (LW/RW)logos SKA St. Petersburg 31 10 25 35 1.13 4 8

I'm not against the signing per se just not expecting him to come in here and light it up like Kaprizov. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I am doubtful Kuzmenko is a 1st line caliber player. Top 3 players in the KHL (PPG) Gusev and Shipachyov aren't exactly world beaters. 

# PLAYER TEAM GP G A TP PPG PIM +/-
1. 9.png Vadim Shipachyov (C)logos Dynamo Moskva 48 24 43 67 1.40 47 11
2. 9.png Andrei Kuzmenko (LW)logos SKA St. Petersburg 45 20 33 53 1.18 10 15
3. 9.png Nikita Gusev (LW/RW)logos SKA St. Petersburg 31 10 25 35 1.13 4 8

I'm not against the signing per se just not expecting him to come in here and light it up like Kaprizov. 

I can’t imagine he’s a top line player either, but if he adds to one of the PP units and chips in 35-40 points it’s a win. He’s gotta sign a 1 year ELC so there’s no risk involved 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, fanfor42 said:

If Poolman stays on LTIR and Boeser signs for 6.25m or less there will be money for Miller and Horvat (as 4m in dead cap frees up in another year).  So yes it is possible.

Strategic moves not wholesale change is what I am saying. 

Boeser has zero reason to sign for 6.25 million when his qualifying offer is just over 7 million.  He also has arbitration rights.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Boeser has zero reason to sign for 6.25 million when his qualifying offer is just over 7 million.  He also has arbitration rights.

He had an off year and he loves it here.  He is the one guy who will sign a home town discount.  Watch it happen partner.

10 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I don't think arbitration would work in Brock's favour.  It's best that both sides avoid that situation.  Very inflammatory.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Trajectory of the team isn't upwards.  Not even close.

Jury is still out on this management team (although, we'll be able to assess them as early as the upcoming draft/free-agency) but they should absolutely be looking to make massive changes to this team.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, AV. said:

Trajectory of the team isn't upwards.  Not even close.

Jury is still out on this management team (although, we'll be able to assess them as early as the upcoming draft/free-agency) but they should absolutely be looking to make massive changes to this team.

Haha what you smoking partner?

Petey hughes Boes Garland Podz Hogz Demko Martin Rathbone are all trending up - they are all still getting better. And will keep improving for the next 2 to 3 years.

That is 9 starters out of 19. Half the team and these are mostly top players. All of whih are getting better. The definition of trending up.

Of course we are trending up. Of course we are.  32 - 15 - 10 under BB.  Heading into next year.

Add Miller Horvat and OEL as solid vets and even Myers as a heart and soul guy.

This is a playoff team on the rise that needs a couple of upgrades and does not need wholesale changes.

You smoking the bad bong partner.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, fanfor42 said:

Haha what you smoking partner?

Petey hughes Boes Garland Podz Hogz Demko Martin Rathbone are all trending up - they are all still getting better. And will keep improving for the next 2 to 3 years.

That is 9 starters out of 19. Half the team and these are mostly top players. All of whih are getting better. The definition of trending up.

Of course we are trending up. Of course we are.  32 - 15 - 10 under BB.  Heading into next year.

Add Miller Horvat and OEL as solid vets and even Myers as a heart and soul guy.

This is a playoff team on the rise that needs a couple of upgrades and does not need wholesale changes.

You smoking the bad bong partner.

Only players worth building around out of all those players are Pettersson, Hughes, and Demko.  Podkolzin, Hoglander, and Rathbone could be decent support players, but not building blocks.

Everybody else is either ageing, too expensive/will become too expensive upon extension, not good enough, or if you're Myers/OEL, somehow all three of those things.

I admire your optimism about things, and I do agree that the great efforts were made to salvage the season under Boudreau, but making decisions off short sample sizes (among other things) is what has made the Canucks a perennial laughing stock among the NHL.  

Changes need to be made and the bigger picture needs to be prioritized.

• Cheers 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Watching playoffs, I'm not sure how far the Canucks would go, even with a somewhat healthy roster. Especially with Schenn as the only physical force.

The D isn't good enough and they talked about that. How they're relying way too much on Demko and having trouble clearing the zone. Improvements need to be made and they're trying to build a winner. 

If they could somehow ship out Myers, Dickinson, Pearson and possibly Garland,  and improve the D, this team could do something. I believe Poolman may be untradeable (health), but maybe he can chip in as a #7/8?

I think they would have plenty of offence with:

Miller

Horvat

Pettersson

Boeser

Podkolzin

Hoglander

Lockwood

It's a good start anyway.

I really feel for Boeser and his family situation, but do you think Boeser in playoff hockey would excel compared to Pearson, and even a much smaller Garland?  I dunno about that

Pearson has a serious grind to his game, been there before, and Garland doesnt back down.

And it looks like you see Miller on the roster going forward. Pearson is a very very good fit with him especially if you want to take advantage of Miller’s next three years. 

26 minutes ago, AV. said:

Only players worth building around out of all those players are Pettersson, Hughes, and Demko.  Podkolzin, Hoglander, and Rathbone could be decent support players, but not building blocks.

Everybody else is either ageing, too expensive/will become too expensive upon extension, not good enough, or if you're Myers/OEL, somehow all three of those things.

I admire your optimism about things, and I do agree that the great efforts were made to salvage the season under Boudreau, but making decisions off short sample sizes (among other things) is what has made the Canucks a perennial laughing stock among the NHL.  

Changes need to be made and the bigger picture needs to be prioritized.

This team has had a ton of change. They are starting to come up off the mat and right now need less change not more.  They need more optimism more BB and more support to complete a season and make the playoffs. Continuous change is the wrong thing right now.

Sorry but I can't buy what you are selling.

I just hope the new management isn't bent on what you say as the way to go or we could wind up with a mess.

I'm still in a wait and see mode with this regime. The talking points are exactly the same as the previous regime - speed, skill, younger, European and college gems, build from the net out, etc, etc.

I appreciate their honesty in the recent presser - even if I don't agree on some things. Don't spin and deflect like the previous regime. 

The problem is ... a lot of us were patient with Benning ... too patient obviously... for 7-8 seasons only to wind up here.

So, are we really going to give this regime another 7-8 years? Seriously? That's almost two decades FFS. I think it's ludicrous to ask this fanbase to be THAT patient again. 

JR came in and said we're a couple years away from consistently contending... that's reasonable.

And there's the benchmark fans should be giving this regime. OK, JR and Co. ... put your words into action... get us there ... after the 7-8 we just went through to wind up here. Get it done!

We're working with Demko's window and Hughes' contract. Looks to me like you guys really need to make a run sooner than later. Time is more now than asking fans for another 7-8 years. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

58 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Brock'll do what his agent tells him to.  if you're wanting empathy, an agent's office is probably the exact wrong place to look.

45 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I don't think arbitration would work in Brock's favour.  It's best that both sides avoid that situation.  Very inflammatory.

I recall the arbitration regarding Neved signing with St Louis.  At some point an unsatisfied Quinn chimed in with 'you don't swap a battleship for a tugboat (Janney).'

It worked.  Both teams agreed to trade him back for Brown, Hedican and LaFayette. 

Brock's agent will have to prove just how exactly Brock will earn his 7+.  I'd really like to hear that argument.

Yet, its entirely possible that Canucks' defence of a lowball offer will be quite inflammatory to Brock's camp.

Don't want that creeping into the room.

We'll see how management does in the long run. If there's one trend I've noticed is that new management typically will be not afraid to make harsh comments about mistakes made by the previous management. The real question I think is if they'll be willing to say the same things after a couple of years of moves. Right now, there's no attachment. There's not going to be, but in a couple of years, who knows.

So I'm cautiously optimistic. I'll believe things more when I see them but I do like the comments being made.

Edited by The Lock

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

How about the camp that neither see the team as "close" or "far"? 

I think regardless of any Miller move or not, this young core is good enough (that with subsequent moves), they'd be about as good as the bubble playoff team they are, with Miller. 

What they aren't, with our without him, is a contender. Too reliant on Demko, lack size, speed, grit and PK'ers, with a right side D that's a bit of a dog's breakfast and currently no succession plan for it.

There's certainly a solid base there, but it's needs an identity, support pieces and one or two key major upgrades.

Is it "far"? No. It's it that "close" though? Not presently. And it's going to take some moves to get there. Saying static isn't going to cut it.

Nobody is saying stay static.

But we are saying don't chuck out what is good in order to pronounce that new management are in charge.

They need to understand what this team and this fanbase had been through in the last 8 years and deal with this team accordingly.

There are good things here.  It is not a tear down. It needs smart changes that make sense. Changes that can be accepted by the core of the team. They need to be patient to figure it out not jump to conclusions based on the 6 monthe they have been at the helm.

Bottom line is they have to prove themselves worthy and prove to many of us that they know the path forward to success and are not going to F it up.