The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Islanders have fired head coach Barry Trotz

Rate this topic

If I were the Canucks I'd be talking to Trotz at least, and I'd be giving Bruce a time frame on his decision if they haven't already 

If he wants to stay, great, but he can't leave us in limbo and we can't elect to stay there while other options are available 

13 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

If we aren't extending Bruce, we better be all over this.

I would hope so. He's going to have his pick of a few jobs out east tho if he wants to stay closer to home. 

Bruce by far has the better record as a coach. I wanna stick with Bruce.

I think management knows it would be a PR disaster to let Bruce walk. Especially since there is very limited risk with only having 1 year left on his contract. It's nearly a perfect situation I can't see them moving on from unless Bruce himself chooses to walk.

24 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

If I were the Canucks I'd be talking to Trotz at least, and I'd be giving Bruce a time frame on his decision if they haven't already 

My understanding is that Bruce's original contract stipulates he has until June to make a decision on coming back or not, I believe JR said that at his media availability. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Bruce by far has the better record as a coach. I wanna stick with Bruce.

I think management knows it would be a PR disaster to let Bruce walk. Especially since there is very limited risk with only having 1 year left on his contract. It's nearly a perfect situation I can't see them moving on from unless Bruce himself chooses to walk.

I wouldn't say that.  By win %, yes.  Actual wins?  Trotz is #3 all time.  Plus he has a cup ring.

Like I said in the other thread, I'd be all over having Trotz here as he gets the most out if any given roster 

I hope they've given Boudreau a deadline to make his decision as he can't leave us in limbo and we can't elect to stay there as other options become available 

4 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

My understanding is that Bruce's original contract stipulates he has until June to make a decision on coming back or not, I believe JR said that at his media availability. 

June will come quick, doubt Trotz will have signed on elsewhere by then

Honestly IMO the Canucks are more built for a Boudreau or Maurice style.

Saying that, if Rutherford believes in a highly structured system next year and is going to make the appropriate personnel (player) changes, no free agent coaches are going to top Barry F*kin' Trotz in that regard

17 minutes ago, stawns said:

He lives in Vernon in the off season

trotz_p3323137.jpg

A little more than a month ago, Barry Trotz was hoisting the Stanley Cup. 

The 55-year old coach of the Stanley cup champion Washington Capitals resigned 10 days later.

Now, he's grocery shopping in Vernon.

Trotz appeared relaxed as he grocery shopped at Vernon's Real Canadian Superstore over the weekend.

The champion coach maintains a summer residence in the Okanagan, as do many NHL players and executives.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/230889/Cup-champ-chills-out

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Given Bruce’s inclusion on the Kuzmenko interview I really doubt he’s going anywhere. Why do that if you’re thinking about leaving?

Professionalism, until you decide to opt out, you are still under contract to the Canucks.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Given Bruce’s inclusion on the Kuzmenko interview I really doubt he’s going anywhere. Why do that if you’re thinking about leaving?

because he's a professional and still the coach. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Holy!  Should we go for him?  

Is Lou Lam talking to Bruce Boudreau?

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Holy!  Should we go for him?  

Is Lou Lam talking to Bruce Boudreau?

Maybe Barzal can show his offensive skills now..Last 2 season..GP 55 - G 17 - PTS 45 / (  2021-22 -GP73 - G15 - PTS 59

Barzal should be GP 82 - G 25 - PTS 82 -

Trotz, oh please no no no... I could see new management group liking Trotz.. Petey, Hughes  offence would be affected with Trotz coaching....

• Vintage 1

Just now, StanleyCupOneDay said:

You make a good point. I still don’t think he’s going anywhere though.

I hope thats true. I still think its a bit of a mistake not offering at least one extra year, but it is what it is. It does send an accountability message from the top down, and there was some talk about some players not showing up ready to play. This could be part of changing that trend among some of the players. 

• Upvote 1