The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Islanders have fired head coach Barry Trotz

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

If I were the Canucks I'd be talking to Trotz at least, and I'd be giving Bruce a time frame on his decision if they haven't already 

If he wants to stay, great, but he can't leave us in limbo and we can't elect to stay there while other options are available 

He has until Jun 1 according to JR.  He deserves to take his time. Both parties are just agreeing to what they both signed last Dec. No hard feelings.  

Since nux already said they want him back for next yr, and Bruce said he wants to come back, the only reason it's not a done deal yet is terms. Perhaps his agent is negotiating on salary for the one yr too, or bonus clauses, who knows.  He's earned the right to take his time and do the best for him and his family. 

2 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

He has until Jun 1 according to JR.  He deserves to take his time. Both parties are just agreeing to what they both signed last Dec. No hard feelings.  

Since nux already said they want him back for next yr, and Bruce said he wants to come back, the only reason it's not a done deal yet is terms. Perhaps his agent is negotiating on salary for the one yr too, or bonus clauses, who knows.  He's earned the right to take his time and do the best for him and his family. 

Rutherford said they want him back on the terms he signed back in December - ie the 1-year option at apparently 2M.  

6 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Wouldn't Bruce's agent be talking to other teams too, and try to get extra term and more overall money on the contract?

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, mll said:

Rutherford said they want him back on the terms he signed back in December - ie the 1-year option at apparently 2M.  

Thanks. Haven't heard about the salary number. It's all negotiation now, since both parties are agreeing to next yr. Bruce knows he doesn't have many more chances at this. See what he decides to do and I wouldn't be bitter for his decision if he goes elsewhere. Done a terrific job with the team and made a dead season exciting and memorable. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Wouldn't Bruce's agent be talking to other teams too, and try to get extra term and more overall money on the contract?

Exactly.  Negotiations with perhaps with more than one team. He wouldn't be doing his job if he wasn't try to maximize things.

Hence that's why we haven't heard any confirmation yet.   More coaches may be fired after round 1. 

2 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Islanders overrate themselves. They dont have a very good team. Without Trotz, they'll be bottom feeders. Parise on 2nd line, that's lol. 

They may not be a very good team but they play a system that brought them some recent success. If Bruce walks I would really consider Trotz as the coach 

Trotz will end up in Detroit and become the winningest coach in HL history in 10 years or less.  At age 59 he has more than enough time and longevity to do it.  All he does is create structure and build teams that can win against anyone if given the right composition by the GM.

Edited by Warhippy

I wonder if Barry just takes next year off and pockets his 4 million while kicking back at his pad on Kalamalka Lake. He has been coaching a very long time and his resume will allow him many options the following year. I could see this happening. 

20 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Yes. JR playing a game of chicken here, but I can see both sides of this for sure. 

6 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

from JR/PA's exit interview.. it wasn't like they have the biggest praise for what Bruce have done.. they'd be ok if he decides to come back for 1 more year as i think the fans would be up in arms if they let him go after the success he had with the team for the 3/4 of the season.. but personally i feel like they prefer bruce not to be back.. i might be wrong maybe that's how JR talks but i didnt like the fact he specifically mentioned he did a terrific job BUT it wasn't a full season.. the tone would be different if he just say something like he did a terrific job and we'd love to have him back and see what he can do with a full training camp etc and then talk about contract situation.. at least it doesn't diminish what bruce have accomplished.

anyways i wouldn't mind taking a run for trotz if bruce doesn't come back.. i was always wondering if trotz was available due to the poor record this year with the islander but everyone here is saying there's no way trotz will be fired even if he doesn't make the playoff.. i mean when trotz took over the islander he turned one o the worse defensive team into a defensive juggernaut.. wouldn't mind seeing if he can turn EP into a future selke guy.. although he will need to work on his faceoff.

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

I agree Trotz is all defensive structure and systems..I really think Allvin and JR will be all over hiring Trotz..

Boudreau should get a 3 yr offer from another team? I really don't think Bruce will be back with no extension offer..

Bruce is 67 with great winning percentage and the players love playing for him...

I say maybe Flyers or team getting knocked out in first round will make offer to Bruce....

Hey everyone look over there!!!!

WOAH!

Hey look over here!!!

WOHHH!!!

Now look there!!!!

WOAAAAHHHH!!!!!

Trotz is the antithesis of what the Canucks need. We are a dynamic high scoring team.

If you’re looking for 2-1 games where the fans go to games to sleep, he’s your guy.

Edited by Me_
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The timing of this just makes things that much more intriguing and interesting. 

Boudreau has to make the decision on coming back for one year, and then be replaced - or, decide to accept an offer (multi-year) from another team (PHI?).  He might actually decide to join another team, because they might offer more security.  Boudreau has to know management has intentions of molding their own team. 

I was listening to SN650 (Marek), and he mentioned VAN as a possible spot for Trotz (also WPG, etc).  Wouldn't that be like the stars aligning?  Getting Trotz as a coach was a big, impossible dream a couple of years ago, and now, VAN is in the conversation. 

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

I wouldn't say that.  By win %, yes.  Actual wins?  Trotz is #3 all time.  Plus he has a cup ring.

I am indeed going by win%. To me, that speaks better to the talent of the coach than it does the experience of the coach. I figure after the first 500 games, experience probably means less than actual ability. I'm also considering the placement of the teams coached, where Bruce coached most of his teams to 1st place finishes in their respective divisions, whereas Trotz was not quite as successful in that regard, with a lot of 2nd place finishes.

With that said, the quality of the teams themselves obviously also play a factor. Perhaps Bruce's teams have been overall just better teams than Trotz had - considering Trotz started with a very substandard expansion Nashville team.

Regardless, I don't think there is any reasonable ground to suggest Trotz is a *better* coach than Bruce. 

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

The timing of this just makes things that much more intriguing and interesting. 

Boudreau has to make the decision on coming back for one year, and then be replaced - or, decide to accept an offer (multi-year) from another team (PHI?).  He might actually decide to join another team, because they might offer more security.  Boudreau has to know management has intentions of molding their own team. 

I was listening to SN650 (Marek), and he mentioned VAN as a possible spot for Trotz (also WPG, etc).  Wouldn't that be like the stars aligning?  Getting Trotz as a coach was a big, impossible dream a couple of years ago, and now, VAN is in the conversation. 

I do think something to consider is the stability the team found under Bruce.

The way the momentum of the 19/20 team was derailed with the key departures, leading into last season & then Green losing the team this year, is something I wouldn't want to tempt again. 

The team is feeling good about themselves again for the first time in awhile, don't think I'd want to mess with that. 

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

Sure, but I'd be looking at contingencies very hard 

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I do think something to consider is the stability the team found under Bruce.

The way the momentum of the 19/20 team was derailed with the key departures, leading into last season & then Green losing the team this year, is something I wouldn't want to tempt again. 

The team is feeling good about themselves again for the first time in awhile, don't think I'd want to mess with that. 

I agree, Markstrom, Tanev, Stecher and Toffoli leaving was a gut-punch to the team, especially the young guys. But this is JR's team now and I don't think he's too worried about rocking the boat and changing things up. Those young guys have been through it, now realizing this is just a business, players come and go. 

Who knows what will happen. New management team. I think they play hardball more than Benning ever did. He gave away 1st/2nd/3rd round picks and prospects, like they didn't matter. I believe JR will make some changes, maybe some not too popular, but I'm optimistic with what they're going to build.

Regarding Markstrom - VAN made the right decision in keeping Thatcher over Jacob. Markstrom is older, but also too emotional for a goaltender. A bad couple of goals can set him off and he's complaining and angry.  Demko is so calm and cool with everything.  Mentally tough. 

A frustrated Markstrom, a whiney Gaudreau and a lunatic Thachuk,  CGY's going down in Flames.  

• Upvote 1