The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Islanders have fired head coach Barry Trotz

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Boudreau's contribution last season was great and obviously shouldn't be discounted, but I think a lot of this is going to depend on what's expected from him moving forward and what he expects for a contract. Therefore, one could argue that it's not a lack of appreciation but more wanting the team to be good moving forward. We also have had attachment issues the past decade, holding onto players and coaches much longer than what we probably should have done.

.600+ winning percentage isn’t good enough I guess.

50 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

no one said to get rid of bruce to bring in trotz but from the interview JR/PA gave they didn't seem to have a ringing endorsement for the work Boudreau have done... if bruce stays great.. if he doesn't wouldn't be surprising at all.

There could be a nuclear detonation in New York and Alvin would be as calm is a butterless toast.

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

.600+ winning percentage isn’t good enough I guess.

It's not about that though. It's great that that happened during the season under Boudreau. This isn't discounting that.

It's about what's best moving forward, especially long term. Boudreau's 72 years old. Trotz is 59 years old. If we got Trotz, we could literally have someone who is arguably the best coach in the league for years to come. With Boudreau we don't even know if he'll want to coach after the end of next year.

So it seems to me like you're focused on this season. You have an attachment to it which is understandable; however, Boudreau I believe is the oldest coach in the NHL (please correct me if I'm wrong as I tried to look it up and google derped at me) at the moment and that has to be considered here.

• Cheers 1

Just now, The Lock said:

It's not about that though. It's great that that happened during the season under Boudreau. This isn't discounting that.

It's about what's best moving forward, especially long term. Boudreau's 72 years old. Trotz is 59 years old. If we got Trotz, we could literally have someone who is arguably the best coach in the league for years to come. With Boudreau we don't even know if he'll want to coach after the end of next year.

So it seems to me like you're focused on this season. You have an attachment to it which is understandable; however, Boudreau I believe is the oldest coach in the NHL (please correct me if I'm wrong as I tried to look it up and google derped at me) at the moment and that has to be considered here.

You're assuming Trotz wants to come here though.  Literally every team with a coaching vacancy will want him and several teams would fire their coach in order to bring him in.  He's an upgrade over Bruce and can win with a variety of different types of teams. I'd say we probably would have about a 10% chance of getting him.

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Me_ said:

There could be a nuclear detonation in New York and Alvin would be as calm is a butterless toast.

I mean, if we're going for weird analogies, I feel like there could be a mouse stealing a crumb in Los Angeles and you'd be panicing as if the world was getting destroyed? lol

I admire your passion and conviction, but damn man, you need some fresh air. lol

Edited by The Lock

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

You're assuming Trotz wants to come here though.  Literally every team with a coaching vacancy will want him and several teams would fire their coach in order to bring him in.  He's an upgrade over Bruce and can win with a variety of different types of teams. I'd say we probably would have about a 10% chance of getting him.

I'm not even going to get into that to be honest. I'm not assuming anything here. I'm just giving thoughts and in no way am I claiming that Trotz would want to come here to begin with. I will however stand by what I'm saying about the long term.

I can even confrim that I wasn't assuming: I said "If we got Trotz"... that's not an assumption.

Edited by The Lock

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

I'm not even going to get into that to be honest. I'm not assuming anything here. I'm just giving thoughts and in no way am I claiming that Trotz would want to come here to begin with. I will however stand by what I'm saying about the long term.

That's fair, but it does need to be taken into account before letting Boudreau walk without replacement. 

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

That's fair, but it does need to be taken into account before letting Boudreau walk without replacement. 

Of course, and I actually like the idea of Boudreau coming back next year still. I'm just also open to other ideas. :)

• Cheers 1

Trotz is certainly a good coach; but glad if the grind-em-down, only defence approach is falling by the wayside. The way the Isles excelled the past 2 PO's can get rather boring. Then some teams are allowed to grind/muck games to a standstill, whilst squads like ours might get 15 penalties to Tyler Myers for grappling a bit.

Who knows if Barry Trotz would flourish in Van? Prob depend upon the mood of the league/reffs(that particular wk/series), & the rules du jour.

14 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Of course, and I actually like the idea of Boudreau coming back next year still. I'm just also open to other ideas. :)

Same.   Maurice would also be acceptable.  I'm just not thrilled at the idea of management letting a good coach go in exchange for magic beans.

7 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Trotz is certainly a good coach; but glad if the grind-em-down, only defence approach is falling by the wayside. The way the Isles excelled the past 2 PO's can get rather boring. Then some teams are allowed to grind/muck games to a standstill, whilst squads like ours might get 15 penalties to Tyler Myers for grappling a bit.

He won a Cup in Washington after people brought up this kind of concern.

Just now, King Heffy said:

Same.   Maurice would also be acceptable.  I'm just not thrilled at the idea of management letting a good coach go in exchange for magic beans.

I've seen PM mentioned a couple of times, but I got the impression that he might be done with coaching altogether.

I suppose it's possible that a different opportunity might get him interested again, but he struck me as a guy who's burned out on the coaching profession.

Maurice not interested per Dreger.  He got burned out in Winnipeg and Vancouver is such a pressured market.

He also talked Ovechkin into accepting less ice time and buying into the system. Pretty impressive, considering Ovie's status....

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

He also talked Ovechkin into accepting less ice time and buying into the system. Pretty impressive, considering Ovie's status....

Ovechkin was pretty good defensively during that Cup run.  I guarantee Miller would stop floating on his way back to the bench or his own zone.

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He sure did, & thank the puck Gods for that! Would've absolutely hated seeing the Lost Vegans buy Lord Stanley's gift to Canada. The margin for error was so fine, would say Holtby's miraculous save on Tuch likely swung that series-win.

So we go chasing that PO-'tender, yet wind up with turtle dung?! With our luck the same would happen if we pursued Trotz.

Would say we have to find someone like Woodcroft in Edm. Find/develop our own young, capable & strategic thinkers.