The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Islanders have fired head coach Barry Trotz

Rate this topic

3 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

He sure did, & thank the puck Gods for that! Would've absolutely hated seeing the Lost Vegans buy Lord Stanley's gift to Canada. The margin for error was so fine, would say Holtby's miraculous save on Tuch likely swung that series-win.

So we go chasing that PO-'tender, yet wind up with turtle dung?! With our luck the same would happen if we pursued Trotz.

Would say we have to find someone like Woodcroft in Edm. Find/develop our own young, capable & strategic thinkers.

No more inexperienced coaches.  Trotz has been successful with three different teams now, each constructed differently.  He's the best coach in the league for my money, narrowly beating out Rod the Bod.

• Cheers 1

Just throwing this out there,.   But if Bruce is thinking of retiring in a “couple “ of years,. 
why not run with a tandem of Boudreau and Trotz ?

I don’t know if it’s ever happened in sports in general,. (2 coach system) , but of all the personalities that “could” work together,  those 2 might pull it off.??

Sports in general have evolved enough that this should not be considered as something that could not work out.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, D-Money said:

Trotz took the worst defensive team in the league, who just lost their best player, and turned them into the best defensive team in the league in one season. He then took that team to 2 consecutive Eastern Conference Finals, and nearly beat Tampa last year. And this is after winning the Cup with Washington, who haven’t won a single playoff round since he left.

Evidence strongly suggests that Trotz is the absolute best coach in the league. Anybody who doesn’t want him as their coach doesn’t know hockey. Especially if they prefer the ‘magic beans’ of an unproven new coach.

Not sure why Lou Lam did this, but guess he thought the team needed a fresh voice after a disastrous season. Sure wish Vancouver did the same rather than bring Green back, that grey cloud hung over everything until he left.

He's arguably the best coach in the league imo. His success speaks for itself.

15 hours ago, rekker said:

I wonder if Barry just takes next year off and pockets his 4 million while kicking back at his pad on Kalamalka Lake. He has been coaching a very long time and his resume will allow him many options the following year. I could see this happening. 

Maybe, but coaches typically wanna coach, I'll be surprised if he's not coaching again next season but I guess we'll see?

14 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

I dont recall him leading the Washington capitals to 2-1 game on nightly basis.. they were over 3 goals per game when he was there.. just coz he coaches a very structure defensive system in new york doesn't make him can only play 2-1 style games.. you take what you are given and work with it.. does the islander roster have players that can play the dynamic high score game? Other than barzal.. they have nothing that resembles legitimate scoring threat.

He was great for Washington, it's still baffling they didn't pay up. Could have won another.

14 hours ago, Me_ said:

Canucks are second in the league defensively 5 on 5. And that is despite Green having started the year.

We we’re running above .600 since Boudreau landed.

What is there to discuss in this thread outside of: no thanks?

Folks can simultaneously appreciate what Bruce has brought, be critical of aspects id what we've seen under Bruce, and view Trotz as a superior coach. His numbers, cup win, and history of getting the most put of a roster at both ends of the ice attest to that. He's arguably the best coach in the league.

It's uncommon a coach of his caliber becomes available, of course people are interested. 

Maybe Bruce comes back, maybe he chooses to go elsewhere. If management isn't exploring options they aren't doing their jobs.

12 hours ago, King Heffy said:

You're assuming Trotz wants to come here though.  Literally every team with a coaching vacancy will want him and several teams would fire their coach in order to bring him in.  He's an upgrade over Bruce and can win with a variety of different types of teams. I'd say we probably would have about a 10% chance of getting him.

Nothing ventured nothing gained. If Bruce elects to come back for a year that's up to him, if he chooses to explore his options we'll have a vacancy. I could see him being offered more years elsewhere, I don't see him being here long term if he re-signs.

• Cheers 1

Late to the party here, but this has to be up there with one of the stupidest reactionary moves by a GM ever. Trotz is one of the greatest coaches in NHL history and one bad year should not be enough to indict him. I'm a big Boudreau fan, but I would not at all be disappointed if we got Trotz instead if Boudreau didn't work out for whatever reason.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Late to the party here, but this has to be up there with one of the stupidest reactionary moves by a GM ever. Trotz is one of the greatest coaches in NHL history and one bad year should not be enough to indict him. I'm a big Boudreau fan, but I would not at all be disappointed if we got Trotz instead if Boudreau didn't work out for whatever reason.

Didn’t Trotz refuse a coaching job in Vancouver already? 

Would instantly make Winnipeg much better.

The Jets still have key holes they need to address with their roster, but if Trotz wants to be part of a mini rebuild I could see it working.

23 hours ago, Master Mind said:

He turned the Islanders from a terrible defensive team to one of the best.

Maybe he could do the same for the Flyers. They sure need some structure.

Id rather him go to the east then winnipeg.   Wherever trotz goes he builds a contender and i dont want winnipeg taking away our chances at the playoffs

23 hours ago, Master Mind said:

He turned the Islanders from a terrible defensive team to one of the best.

Maybe he could do the same for the Flyers. They sure need some structure.

Firing makes no sense.  Nyi wad so banged up for most of the year.  Barzal was never healthy.  Mistake by lou letting trotz go.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Id rather him go to the east then winnipeg.   Wherever trotz goes he builds a contender and i dont want winnipeg taking away our chances at the playoffs

Agreed I'd rather he stay in the east.

12 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Firing makes no sense.  Nyi wad so banged up for most of the year.  Barzal was never healthy.  Mistake by lou letting trotz go.

Lou has been making questionable moves lately. Maybe an act of desperation.

41 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Word is that the players' feedback led to the firing.  Trotz has such a rigid system that it took the fun out of the game. Players couldn't play by instinct.  Probably the hardest on creative players.