The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who's your Coaching choice now with Trotz on the market?

Rate this topic

Deets

Bruce Boudreau or Barry Trotz  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Given the choice, who would you pick to coach the Canucks moving forward?

• Bruce, there it (still) is!!
    • Trotz the 3rd most winningest coach in NHL history.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/13/2022 at 07:05 PM

With today's firing of Barry Trotz, the offseason coaching market is heating up. Last week we heard Rutherford praise Boudreau for the job he's done since he took over in December, but he did express some reservations.

JR has not yet committed to bringing Bruce back for next year and has stated there are options. One of the things Jim critiqued Boudreau on was his lack of defensive structure, saying the Canucks were league worst for D zone departures. Bruces winning record speaks for itself, but it's clear Rutherford wants some new systems to be implemented for next season. Do we give Bruce a full training camp to work in some of the changes JR says is lacking?

Barry Trotz won the Jack Adams only 3 years ago and comes with a playoff winning pedigree. He also brings the defensive structure that Rutherford says is missing and is 8 years younger than Bruce. I think at the very least the Canucks are kicking the tires on Trotz since the news dropped this morning. Do we offer Trotz a big 3-4 year deal to entice him up to Vancouver?

Edited by Deets

Just now, JM_ said:

just for clarification, isn't it now up to Bruce to come back? I thought he was offered the option year from our end and he has until June 1 to decide?

There is a mutual component where Bruce can opt out of coming back, but he has publicly stated he would like to stay here next year. It's only speculation, but I believe if Rutherford was on the Bruce train 100% we would have him signed up by now. It seems like JR was waiting for something to make his decision. Maybe he had some insider info on what just transpired in Long Island.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

BB is our guy.

His system clearly suits our personnel. 

Trotz is borderline Jacques Lemaire 2.0 - nothing wrong with that if you have the right personnel and the commitment from the entire team - but I don't see his system working with who we presently have under contract.  That's never been the style of play that ownership (or fans) out here prefer. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I wanted Benning to can Green the second Washington let Trotz go after their cup win. He's probably one of the few coaches I'd consider over BB.

At the very least, the fact that this option now exists showed that management was right to not extend right away and let the market play out.

My answer. Happy with either 

• Cheers 3

I'd go hard after TYrotz wante him for along time

40 minutes ago, Deets said:

With today's firing of Barry Trotz, the offseason coaching market is heating up. Last week we heard Rutherford praise Boudreau for the job he's done since he took over in December, but he did express some reservations.

JR has not yet committed to bringing Bruce back for next year and has stated there are options. One of the things Jim critiqued Boudreau on was his lack of defensive structure, saying the Canucks were league worst for D zone departures. Bruces winning record speaks for itself, but it's clear Rutherford wants some new systems to be implemented for next season. Do we give Bruce a full training camp to work in some of the changes JR says is lacking?

Barry Trotz won the Jack Adams only 3 years ago and comes with a playoff winning pedigree. He also brings the defensive structure that Rutherford says is missing and is 8 years younger than Bruce. I think at the very least the Canucks are kicking the tires on Trotz since the news dropped this morning. Do we offer Trotz a big 3-4 year deal to entice him up to Vancouver?

Love Trotz, would go after him hard if Bruce decides not to take this 1 yr deal

Personally, I would go with Trotz but I would not be disappointed with Boudreau staying.

Trotz just seems like one of those coaches who has the ability to implement systems that maximizes the output of whatever roster he has.  Yes, the Islanders were pretty bad this year, but IMHO they had been overachieving in previous years anyway.  As I said in another thread about Trotz, given management's emphasis on systems, I think Trotz is going to be draw keen interest from them unless they are committed to Boudreau (or are contractually bound to him).

Hoping BB comes back. I understand JR's reluctance to offer an extension until they see a full year of coaching performance. They are still paying Green, and doesn't want to pay 3 different coaches if something goes wrong next season.

It's fair to ask him to come back under the existing contract.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

BB is our guy.

His system clearly suits our personnel. 

Trotz is borderline Jacques Lemaire 2.0 - nothing wrong with that if you have the right personnel and the commitment from the entire team - but I don't see his system working with who we presently have under contract.  That's never been the style of play that ownership (or fans) out here prefer. 

I think Trotz has proven that he can adjust his style of play to accommodate a faster run and gun team like the Islanders, while keeping his defensive structure intact.

If it’s between Bruce and Trotz, I don’t think there’s a wrong choice. Both are elite and either coach would serve this team well. 

I do think Bruce proved enough that he deserves the chance to continue what he’s started, with a full season, starting from training camp, and an off-season where roster construction is geared toward building a team that best suits his playing style and supplementing the team with the type of player additions he feel he needs.

But if management wants to make a change, they’re unlikely to find a better option out there than Trotz, and it would make sense to make the shift now, so that they can use this off-season to acquire the pieces to support Trotz’s vision for this team.

Trotz over Boudreaux? Big no. We will be having those star players production discussions all over again next year once trotz takes over I am afraid. Keep the course and let Boudreau do his thing. 

For pure age, I like Trotz.  That's a coach with longevity.  I love Bruce but can not see him being here for more than another season or two.  At age 59 Trotz has 10-20 possible years left 

That being said.  I see Trotz ending up in Detroit for that exact reason.  Yzerman is no idiot and he knows that having a coach that will be around for 5-10 years with what he is building is a win.  He played under the winningest coach and will sign Trotz and see him become the winningest coach within 10 years or less.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 2

I am still an outlier for Quenneville no matter how much hate and heat this gets.

He holds the two highest winning percentage seasons of any coach in NHL history is #2 on the list and has done nothing but build winners.

I would like Trotz but would take the hate over coach Quenneville

It would be nice to have Trotz and he knows how to put a disciplined structured team and it might be what the Canucks need.  Maybe have BB and Trotz work together as a co-coach for one year then have Trotz take over.   I'm not sure if they are up for it as ego might clash but the idea of working together might lead to a cup champion is something they should consider the idea of having a co-head coach.  Having two heads is better than one.