The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who's your Coaching choice now with Trotz on the market?

Rate this topic

Deets

Bruce Boudreau or Barry Trotz  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Given the choice, who would you pick to coach the Canucks moving forward?

• Bruce, there it (still) is!!
    • Trotz the 3rd most winningest coach in NHL history.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/13/2022 at 07:05 PM

6 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

What about "It's getting TROTZ in here (SO TROTZ!), so take off all your clothes..."

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

I don't know if we're gonna want to implement an Age limit to go to Canucks games.

12 minutes ago, Deets said:

I think Trotz has proven that he can adjust his style of play to accommodate a faster run and gun team like the Islanders, while keeping his defensive structure intact.

Maybe that's why Trotz was relieved of his duties - his team wasn't actually 'run and gun' - every single year he was in charge of the Islanders they finished in the bottom third of the entire league in overall scoring but were consistently one of the tightest defensive teams in the league (lowest GA).  If management wants a run and gun style team but they are not scoring there's a disconnect somewhere, no? 

I feel our chances of winning a cup are greater with Trotz than with BB, and that's what it all boils down to methinks. I'm a huge fan of BB, and he did a great job, but I'm even more so a fan of BT.

If the latter was available after Greener was punted, in all likelihood he would've been the choice over BB (younger, playoff success/cup winner, better defensive structure).

I could be wrong, but hey, that's just my opinion.

Edited by Sophomore Jinx

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I am still an outlier for Quenneville no matter how much hate and heat this gets.

He holds the two highest winning percentage seasons of any coach in NHL history is #2 on the list and has done nothing but build winners.

I would like Trotz but would take the hate over coach Quenneville

I'm sorry warhippy, there's no way I could support the hiring of an individual who knowingly allowed a sexual abuser to continue praying on young men by staying silent about it, not to mention allowed bullying and harassment to fester on a team he was ultimately in charge of so he could personally gain from it.  And yes, I understand no one gives an eff what I think in the end.  I'm almost 50yo and have been a supporter of this team from my earliest memories - but I would drop this team in a heartbeat if they went that route. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

BB is our guy.

His system clearly suits our personnel. 

Trotz is borderline Jacques Lemaire 2.0 - nothing wrong with that if you have the right personnel and the commitment from the entire team - but I don't see his system working with who we presently have under contract.  That's never been the style of play that ownership (or fans) out here prefer. 

and we wonder why we have never won a cup

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

"Barry, there it is" sounds stupid.

Barry, Barry, what you buggin'?

besides, canuck fans love ridiculous sidenotes

we could be the first team to employ Torts and Trotz

woot

1 hour ago, Muttley said:

Bruce Boudreau took an emotionally beat up team and turned it around in less then a week. Had it not been for injuries, we'd be watching our Canucks 

fighting in the first round right now. That's where it is.

Willie D did the same

how'd that work out?

I said this in another thread, but I don’t understand the grass is always greener mentality with the Media / a portion of this fan base! All you can ask for is a great coach that wins, which BB is / does! Nothing against BT, great coach! Even the best coaches have their good & bad / pros and cons, including BT. So, there’s is no point nit picking BB. Maybe you gain something in one area with a new / different coach, but you lose something in another area. Even the best coaches aren’t perfect, so pick your battles. That being said, that doesn’t mean BB can’t / won’t improve in some areas (eg. Structure). Sometimes making changes for the sake of making changes isn’t the best idea, perhaps even a bad idea. Now, if BT was interested in doing something different with a organization and wanted to join in a different capacity, then that’s different. 

The age argument is an important one.  If we want stability in the coaching department for 5+ years of hopefully an improvement each season building to a true contender.

But there's also the "grass is always greener" argument.  We have a genie in a bottle with Bruce right now.  Its working. Letting that one out and trying to stuff Trotz into it may not fit. What would this do to Miller's desire to re-sign here?  He's enjoying the more loose free-wheeling system under Bruce. 

But we desperately need a defensive structure. I've been b#$%ing for a few years now about the defensive zone exits.  And was happy that JR brought that up in his presser.  Then again I wonder how much it is the players themselves. Can Myers actually be taught new tricks at this point in his career? Like not pass the puck directly to the opposition in a panic?

But fans would have to give up "Bruce there it is" :unsure:

Back and forth.   Advantages and disadvantages either way.  TBH, I don't think we will even be in the running anyways.  Too many other teams will want him.  I think he'll land in Detroit.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

18 minutes ago, kilgore said:

The age argument is an important one.  If we want stability in the coaching department for 5+ years of hopefully an improvement each season building to a true contender.

But there's also the "grass is always greener" argument.  We have a genie in a bottle with Bruce right now.  Its working. Letting that one out and trying to stuff Trotz into it may not fit. What would this do to Miller's desire to re-sign here?  He's enjoying the more loose free-wheeling system under Bruce. 

But we desperately need a defensive structure. I've been b#$%ing for a few years now about the defensive zone exits.  And was happy that JR brought that up in his presser.  Then again I wonder how much it is the players themselves. Can Myers actually be taught new tricks at this point in his career? Like not pass the puck directly to the opposition in a panic?

But fans would have to give up "Bruce there it is" :unsure:

Back and forth.   Advantages and disadvantages either way.  TBH, I don't think we will even be in the running anyways.  Too many other teams will want him.  I think he'll land in Detroit.

I see we posted very similar thoughts…totally agree with this! Change shouldn’t made for the sake of change and no, the grass isn’t always greener. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Little early in the day for that level of comedy. :picard:. Can you even see anyone from that far out in left field?

the situation was nearly identical

and WIllie D had one good year then failed to replicate

there is a cliche that goes something like :

those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it

Trotz.   Guys a freaking defensive tactician.   I love Bruce and his big round head.   But have to go with no neck all shoulders Trotz on this one.   What he had to work with in NSH just wasn't enough and still did it (almost anyways - but did a way better job then the sum of their parts and made some really really good D's along the way)...  What he managed in NYI was even more impressive.   And of course he won a cup with a better lineup in WSH.    Loyalty to Bruce is understandable though. 

Edit:  BTW - Trotz came in the year Tavares was traded ... and took one of the worst defences in the entire league and made them one of the best ones.   Something like a plus 50 plus differential change WITHOUT Tavares.   Made Barzal a better player and really aside from him, they were nothing special.   Whatever happened this year happens to all coaches eventually.   Our D actually had more name presence now then theirs did back then.     I'm a huge fan and pick Trotz.   Nice thing too - that buy in means smaller cap hits because in that context it's usually just about points.   Trotz. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, lmm said:

the situation was nearly identical

and WIllie D had one good year then failed to replicate

there is a cliche that goes something like :

those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it

Willie was a newbie NHL coach, who has since had a temporary head coaching job in LA and (in the past

3 yrs), has been a head coach in the WHA.

Boudreau has boatloads of AHL and NHL coaching experience with a decent winning % throughout his

career.

I don't see the similarities.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1