The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Team Canada unveils 2022 IIHF World Championship roster

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yet another reason to be disappointed at the Canucks missing the playoffs....it totally benefits Teams USA and Sweden.....<_<

Just looked up Team USA's roster...pretty much dumpster diving for players.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, wonder why?  Luke Hughes is there... surprised Quinn didn't go along with Jack.

Quinn really should go and take the opportunity to expand his skillset and gain valuable experience.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, GB5 said:

Quinn really should go and take the opportunity to expand his skillset and gain valuable experience.

To be honest, the league that Boeser plays in during the off-season is a higher level of competition.  I'd rather he goes hard in the gym and puts on some muscle.

• Vintage 1

21 hours ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, wonder why?  Luke Hughes is there... surprised Quinn didn't go along with Jack.

One player is not going to win the WC, it takes a team...Team USA is hot garbage. They have Seth and Caleb Jones on D as well as Nate Schmidt. Up front they've got Galchenyuk, Gaudette, Hayden and Watson (all depth players in the NHL)...the rest are AHL / press box commandos. Their goaltenders are backups.

I only hope that some additional players step up as they get eliminated from the playoffs, otherwise the USA program is gonna suffer some embarrassment...not that any other team is particularly strong, I just don't think a team of depth NHL'ers (save for the Jones' and Schmidt) plus a few AHL'ers will have the depth to beat Canada in the end. Based on their pool draw, I don't think USA even gets past Sweden or Finland in their own pool IMHO...they just got an unlucky draw, tougher path to Semis.

Again, my hope for each of the top tier teams (Canada, USA, Sweden & Finland) is that, since the players did not get the chance to rep their country at the Oly's, they will step up for the World's...we'll see...

I know the playoffs are on, but is no one else watching the Hockey World Championship?

Canada had an early scare against Italy in the 1st, but now 2-0 with a much better start then last year.

USA currently losing to Austria 2-1, 3rd period left to go. That would be a big shocker.

Other country’s hockey programs are catching up to the big ones.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

• -DLC- pinned this topic

USA ended up squeaking out a win against Austria in OT. They’re probably happy coming away with a point against the Americans.

Some of these games have been surprisingly close.

Finland beating Latvia by only a goal. France beating Kazakhstan by a goal.

A real shocker when Great Britain took Norway to a shootout after Norway was up 3-0 in the 3rd period. Norway pulled off the win, but it was a nail biter.

Much more entertaining hockey with these country’s teams getting better.

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

I know the playoffs are on, but is no one else watching the Hockey World Championship?

Canada had an early scare against Italy in the 1st, but now 2-0 with a much better start then last year.

USA currently losing to Austria 2-1, 3rd period left to go. That would be a big shocker.

I'm watching Canada only. Will watch the Sweden-Finland game to watch our prospects. As the field narrows it will get easier to find time. 

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Given that we haven’t seen proper playoffs in a long time, it is a hard sell to watch “world championship” hockey that is made up of average players at best.

Also, one of our arch nemesis countries in that tourney is expelled.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Given that we haven’t seen proper playoffs in a long time, it is a hard sell to watch “world championship” hockey that is made up of average players at best.

Also, one of our arch nemesis countries in that tourney is expelled.

If you watch the games you’ll see that statement isn’t true. They aren’t average, not anymore at least. It used to be Canada, US, Sweden and Finland as the teams that basically steam roll every other team in contention, but that’s changing as each year other country’s players and programs continue improving. It’s very entertaining hockey if you took the time to watch it. Definitely better then some of the playoff games we’ve already seen and I always enjoy watching Canada’s team in any sport.

Our arch nemesis is the US, always has been and always will be. Russia and Belarus being expelled was the right thing to do. They shouldn’t be allowed to compete in any sports until the insanity in invading Ukraine ends. I hope you’d feel similar.

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay
  • Like 1