The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Team Canada unveils 2022 IIHF World Championship roster

Rate this topic

4 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Didn't get to watch this one, had to do the weed whacking....(When you live in Prince Rupert and you have sunshine on a weekend, you don't waste it) Disappointing loss, but the resiliency of this team has really impressed me. Guys like Barzal, Dubois, Batherson and Cozens stepped up when they were really needed.

Another guy that I didn't know much about before this tournament who has really impressed me is Ryan Graves....

^It’s being replayed on Sportsnet.  

Canada scores a beauty PP goal in the 2nd, but the majority of the drama takes place in the 3rd.

^Watch that whole period, don’t miss it! 

Finland may have won this thing,  but, they (Team-Finland) know there should almost be a tip-your-hat asterisk beside it to this officiating crew, for not using technology to properly get things right.

IIHF on-ice officials & officiating gets transparently well-vetted to root-out bias & has generally been good, but during this particular game there were fails & a few unlucky moments for Canada, which made all the difference between winning & losing out there.

^It is what it is. Somethings just fatalistically happen. 

With Finland joining NATO, and receiving refugees from the Ukraine & political refugees from Russia, I’m glad that Finnish players, citizens, & hockey-fans got to have this feel-good moment on home soil.

Juho Lammikko (Vancouver Canuck) played great for Team-Finland, and I bet this Championship victory gives him even more confidence to do better when returning to VAN next season. 

Team-Canada took awhile to gel, just like in the last year’s World Championship tournament, but Finland was definitely the best team in this tournament start to “Finnish”! 

Edited by viking mama
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, viking mama said:

It’s being replayed - Canada scores a beauty PP goal in the 2nd, but the majority of the drama takes place in the 3rd.

^Watch that whole period, don’t miss it! 

Finland may have won this thing,  but, they (Team-Finland) know there should almost be a tip-your-hat asterisk beside of it to the officiating crew for not using technology properly to get things right & to the hockey-gods for their interferences.

IIHF refereeing is typically vetted to root-out bias & generally therefore has been good….but, in this particular game there were fails & a few unlucky moments for Canada, which made all the difference between winning & losing out there.

^It is what is. Somethings just fatalistically happen. 

With Finland joining NATO, and receiving refugees from the Ukraine & political refugees from Russia, I’m glad that Finnish players, citizens, & hockey-fans got to have this feel-good moment on home soil.

Finland was the best team in this tournament start to “Finnish”! 

Agreed. I tip my hat to them.

69A37162-CF94-4B1A-A1ED-2D073285EA48.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Playing “We Are the Champions” by Queen, instead of a Finnish song for their victory skates of the Cup around the ice, could have gone better.

Perhaps let each team pick a  “Championship Song” for their potential  victory-parade skates, just in case.  

Edited by viking mama
  • Cheers 1

Good on the Finns for capitalizing, but really, Canada got screwed.  Really surprised if there's no video review to overturn calls like the high stick and the OT penalty was due to the guy pinning Chabot's stick to himself with his arms.  Ah well, can't win them all.

18 hours ago, joe-max said:

That call in overtime was clearly a penalty. Chabot played it too aggressively, had the stick between the Finnish players legs, rubbing his balls. Not the refs fault here.

Agreed, that was the right call on the penalty.

Looks like most in this thread would rather blame the refs, rather than acknowledge that the Canadian players are capable of making mistakes.

10 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Agreed, that was the right call on the penalty.

Looks like most in this thread would rather blame the refs, rather than acknowledge that the Canadian players are capable of making mistakes.

Yep. Technically, he got the stick in there....

That being said, the referee in me (I've done hundreds of games) either lets that one go, because of the severity and the situation, or I call the dive as well.

Somebody said earlier, and I agree, you never want to put the ref into a situation where he has to make a split second decision like that......they just might make the call....

On 5/29/2022 at 12:13 PM, Muttley said:

Oh oh. Tied up...

Looks like as I expected this call generated a lot of conversation. Here’s my penny’s worth. This call was egregiously awful. Like absolutely the worst possible call I’ve seen in a very long time. Why this tournament doesn’t allow for referees to review video of a call they made in regards to a penalty is beyond me. Moving forward I think each bench in any hockey game should get 1 challenge on a goal and 1 challenge on a penalty. That would enable most game deciding wrong calls to be eliminated and the game to be more fair. I also think it’s important to have less European referees calling games. There were many questionable calls in tournament games when it came to the US and Canada playing against a European team. Without this terrible call Canada wins gold, it’s really that simple and I don’t think it’s arguable.

That said, the call in overtime was the proper one to make and I have no objections to it. There’re been other instances of awful calls effecting the outcome of games in past tournaments too. It’s important to remember that as passionate as we get about hockey, especially when it comes to our team Canada, it is only a game for entertainment purposes.

Next year we will come back with a vengeance to reclaim our throne and title.

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Muttley said:

Totally agree with you. There is absolutely no level of conformity among the various officials calling games so how can that not effect the outcomes. 

How can they not use the review method when it's obvious it works beneficially in the most successful league in the world and on a much larger scale.

Quite frankly, I doubt much changes. It could but voices must be heard. Not just from Canada and the US and maybe Sweden but from all the teams. Maybe then

it might open up a pathway to generate negotiations for officiating conformity which could end up generating as close to equal officiating as possible with different languages.

It’s not a problem solely occurring in this tournament either. The NHL could benefit from a rule change allowing a challenge on 1 call per game. I don’t want hockey to become like the NBA where the game starts and stops constantly, so I’m wary of too many challenges and timeouts, but I do feel there’s enough evidence we’ve seen to warrant 1 additional challenge for each team on a penalty call in any hockey game. Refs mess up, they’re human beings, we all make mistakes, but adding this to the game prevents glaringly obvious total misses from changing the outcome of a game.

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay
  • Vintage 1