The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks trying to find a market for Oliver Ekman-Larsson

OMG.... here we go again.... but he's our #1 D-man though.... aside from Hughes..... 

I doubt there are takes for OEL or Myers.... those teams that got tons of cap room just wanna remain cheap.... unless we throw in some hot prospects which we don't even have!!!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

One of OEL or Myers will be moved this summer.  Whichever costs us less to  dump.  

Myers would cost less to dump, but he's only got one year left so might as well ride it out.  Gotta get rid of OEL asap before his play completely falls off 

1 minute ago, King Loui said:

Myers would cost less to dump, but he's only got one year left so might as well ride it out.  Gotta get rid of OEL asap before his play completely falls off 

Isn't two years for Myers?  OEL has 5.  Both will cost us.  We don't have enough sugar to dumperoo OEL.

Just now, JM_ said:

does OEL need dumperooing? he's still a really good player, I get the fear that he'll decline but he's not there yet. 

I think with OEL it's about his cap cost and the allocation of so much of our cap to a second pair.  Myers and OEL draw over 13 mil.  Way too much.  So one needs to go.  I wouldn't be too shocked if one guy goes.

Just now, Alflives said:

I think with OEL it's about his cap cost and the allocation of so much of our cap to a second pair.  Myers and OEL draw over 13 mil.  Way too much.  So one needs to go.  I wouldn't be too shocked if one guy goes.

It is a lot, but OEL can carry a pair and a rookie d partner, and Myers can't so it should be Myers if we're dumping one of them I would think.

• Vintage 3

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

does OEL need dumperooing? he's still a really good player, I get the fear that he'll decline but he's not there yet. 

Unless they retain.  

Early in the season Drance talked to scouts/executives around the league.  They recognised that OEL was playing well but still consider his contract negative value because to them he's considerably overpaid.  Fwiw Dom's model has him worth 4.4M vs his 7.3M cap hit.  Shannon was talking about how Vancouver is integrating analytics and would guess that there is also some sort of market valuation model being developed.

OEL has a NMC, so a trade is very limited.  Nucks would have to retain ($1.2M) + a player (Hogs?).

People underrate Meyers.  A minute munching physical RD would not require a 'sweetener'.  Both Coyotes and

and Krakens are desperate for a mid-pairing RD. He does have a NTC that has a 10 team no trade clause

which may include these teams, but he might be agreeable with a Seattle move. Kraken certainly have the cap.

8 minutes ago, JM_ said:

That's the thing tho, He may be really good and had a pretty good year, but eventually the back end of that deal will come back to bite you. 

OEL showed he can still be a number 2 guy, which is why his value will never be higher. At some point you have to approach this as a cuthroat business and get the most you can rather than try to move him in 3 years and have to pay out the ass

7 minutes ago, JM_ said:

It is a lot, but OEL can carry a pair and a rookie d partner, and Myers can't so it should be Myers if we're dumping one of them I would think.

I think the term is the problem for OEL.  If the plan is to rebuild the RD with young players, then I would think

the smart move would be to keep OEL for the next 2-3 years.

• Vintage 1