The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks trying to find a market for Oliver Ekman-Larsson

1 minute ago, kloubek said:

By all accounts he is a leader in the locker room, and he's still a serviceable player. Although he eats up too much cap space and his contract is obviously too long, I think it would be a better option to trade Myers who doesn't have trade protection until it kicks in July 1st. By doing this, we clear 6m from the cap immediately and it just so happens there is a guy with the last name of Manson who is going to be available. He will command noticeably less cap space, and is the defensive stalwart that we've needed since Tanev went to Calgary.

With that said, I think management would be negligent if they didn't at least see what was out there for trade options. While his contract might not look THAT bad right now, I'm sure by 2026 it's going to look considerably worse and it would be nice if that wasn't a factor going forward.

I think this team can afford one marginally overpaid guy like OEL - as long as its just one. If he was making 5.2 we'd happily keep him. 

If we can move Myers, and re-sign Miller to something reasonable we really will only have one overpaid contract costing us an extra 2 mil per year. I do think OEL can be very useful paired with a young RHD, so it at least has a chance of paying off in terms of solid mentorship, like Tanev did for Hughes. 

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I totally agree with this. 

Id say he's been solid for approx 85% of his games. He has the random stinkers but who doesn't. 

If an attacker was coming into our zone with the puck, I'd be most confident in OEL to stop him over any of our other D. I don't see him lose / miss his assignment very often and he's really good with his stick

To me, OEL, Hughes, Schenn and Burroughs are keepers on this D. I'm indifferent with Myers, Poolman, Dermott and wouldn't be too ehart broken if they were traded. If we trade Myers though we need to add a a mobile D with snarl. 

Poolman has to go, I'm hoping we can shed him to AZ for future considerations. Even with how hard it is to get right side d I'd definitely be looking to move Myers now too, in part because I do think he has value, and also we do need the cap space to be more efficient. 

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

OEL is not a problem per se, it's his cap hit.  They are probably looking at ways to be able to sign and keep Miller.  Contrary to popular belief, Miller isn't signing for $8 million.  He's probably looking at $9 million.  So moving OEL would free up almost $7.5 million to have the extra cash to sign Miller plus get a replacement for OEL in the $4-5 million range.

If it's Miller long term at 9m, I would rather trade him and keep OEL. 

I think Miller contract will age more poorly than OEL. 

OEL is a smooth skater who plays defense with his stick. Those guys have more longevity than a physical d man who gets old. 

13 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

OEL comes to a new team and is asked to play shutdown mins, willingly takes up the more conservative role with Myers-does it.

Hughes goes down and assumes PP1/more offensive role-does it.

If the Canucks didn’t have have QH on PP1/logging offensive mins he would fit very nicely.

I understand the reasoning of why tou would look at revamping the back end though.  

Add in Hunt on third pairing meant there was nobody else who could be trusted with the tough minutes.  Bring in a solid defensive guy for that pairing and OEL will score more.  Consider what Malhotra did for Kesler.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Loui would have been overpaid even at $1.5 million after his first couple of years.  OEL is not Loui.  Not even close.  He can actually contribute even into his mid 30's.  At $4.5-5 million there would be nothing wrong with keeping him at all for the duration of his contract.

I think this is a great point.  How much would we expect to pay a player to replace OEL's contribution?  $4.5 - $5 million. 

The question then becomes how much do we need to pay to gain $2.5-$3 million in cap space?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Poolman has to go, I'm hoping we can shed him to AZ for future considerations. Even with how hard it is to get right side d I'd definitely be looking to move Myers now too, in part because I do think he has value, and also we do need the cap space to be more efficient. 

Yeah Poolman situation is tough. 

I defended him prior to the season but it seems like we haven't really gotten a look at him due to injuries this season. 

Anything any player has done in the TG era should be thrown out. We should be judging them based on what we've seen under BB. 

What we've seen is that Schenn looks great for his contract. Burroughs is underutilized due to BB's love for Hunt. Poolman has yet to show anything so it's hard to judge whether he's poor value. The argument that go against him is that lesser paid players like Schenn and Burroughs look fine so do we need Poolman... 

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yeah Poolman situation is tough. 

I defended him prior to the season but it seems like we haven't really gotten a look at him due to injuries this season. 

Anything any player has done in the TG era should be thrown out. We should be judging them based on what we've seen under BB. 

What we've seen is that Schenn looks great for his contract. Burroughs is underutilized due to BB's love for Hunt. Poolman has yet to show anything so it's hard to judge whether he's poor value. The argument that go against him is that lesser paid players like Schenn and Burroughs look fine so do we need Poolman... 

it was just weird for Benning to sign both Hamonic AND Poolman, he didn't need to do that. 

19 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Loui would have been overpaid even at $1.5 million after his first couple of years.  OEL is not Loui.  Not even close.  He can actually contribute even into his mid 30's.  At $4.5-5 million there would be nothing wrong with keeping him at all for the duration of his contract.

At $5 M I agree with you

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Josh Manson could replace Myers on the right side.  He brings a different element and  could partner with Hughes.  As for OEL, if we were to actually move him it would be to fit a puck moving RHD into the lineup.  John Marino could be an option for that.  And of course we have Rathbone who will be given every opportunity to make the club next year who can be the secondary puck mover on the left side.

Hughes       Manson

Hague         Marino

Rathbone    Schenn

This is a much more balanced defensive unit then what we have right now and we add alot of size as well with Manson and Hague.

Not sure if it's possible to move OEL and to get Hague, but this lineup is probably similar as to how JR wants to set up his Dmen.

As a UFA, Manson is probably the "easiest" to pencil in as an acquisition but I suspect he's going to be stupid expensive to sign.

I suppose Hague could be an offer sheet target.

The issue with dealing either or both OEL and Myers is that I can't imagine the Canucks will be in a position to request much of a return.  Even if we accept, let's say, that OEL and Myers are playing at a $4.5M level as compared to their actual AAVs, the difference in value is the equivalent of up to 1 or 2 other players.  I would love to see Manson, Hague and Marino added to the D core but that would presumably require some pretty significant deals involving other team assets.

It will be very interesting to see what management does this summer.  There could either be just a whole lot of talk this summer and into the season, or it could be quite an explosive off season. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Highstickin said:

That is a fairly heavy oversimplification of a player and contract. I think 7.26 mill is high for what we received from OEL this season but to just state a defensemen is worth his contract or not by $/point is shortsighted. With this thinking will we end up going full Coilers and only value offensive players that produce high $/points ratios while having infinite number of defensive liabilities? 

I think the tough part for skilled defensive players is that the stats are not as simple to measure and quantify so how do we know if we are over or under paying them based on their skills. If we over value offensive play we run the risk of relying even heavier on Demko, however if we over value perceived defensive skills (such as Dickinson) we could overpay for a player that is not really brining much value as either end of the ice. 

The canucks were 8th in the league in goals against, some things defensively were going right for that to happen. Yes we have Demko, but there were some good things happening in front of him too. 

Yes but also taking into account he is soon to be 31 and still has 5 years left.  You can find guys that are rock solid defensively and put up 30 points for less than 5 million, you earn big contracts like OEL if you put up points in the NHL, that is the main metric used. 

Scoring more goals and spending less time in the defending end can also help your goaltender

OEL is barely outscoring or isn't outscoring guys like Tanev, Parayko, Lindholm, Larsson, Pesce, Pelech, Ekholm who are all younger and better defensively and all make way less.

Travis Sanhiem, Michael Matheson, Alex Goligoski, Vladislav Gavrikov, Nate Schmidt, Ryan Suter and even Cody Ceci all outscored him.  That's a bad look.  

Edited by King Loui

8 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

As a UFA, Manson is probably the "easiest" to pencil in as an acquisition but I suspect he's going to be stupid expensive to sign.

I suppose Hague could be an offer sheet target.

The issue with dealing either or both OEL and Myers is that I can't imagine the Canucks will be in a position to request much of a return.  Even if we accept, let's say, that OEL and Myers are playing at a $4.5M level as compared to their actual AAVs, the difference in value is the equivalent of up to 1 or 2 other players.  I would love to see Manson, Hague and Marino added to the D core but that would presumably require some pretty significant deals involving other team assets.

It will be very interesting to see what management does this summer.  There could either be just a whole lot of talk this summer and into the season, or it could be quite an explosive off season. 

Manson is a UFA so no player compensation is required.  I think a Garland for Marino trade could be viable.  We would sign Kuzmenko as a free agent to replace Garland.

The tricky one would be Hague.  Vegas is in cap hell and can't re-sign both Roy and Hague without moving cap money out.  One option is to take on Dadonov's contract and include him in the deal.  I'm pretty sure Vancouver is not on his no-trade list.  He would be good for one year while Karlsson and Klimovich are in Abby learning the NHL game.

Myers could be traded for a 3rd round pick with no retention.   Trading OEL without retention would be the toughest part of all of this.  JR would be earning his salary if he could pull it off.

Hague and Dadonov (cap dump) for Hoglander and another prospect plus a 2nd round pick could work.  Kessel is a UFA.  I'd go after him on a 1 or 2 year deal to add some veteran presence.  JR has the history with Kessel.  Add Desluariers on the 4th line and we got ourselves a playoff team...

Podkolzin         Pettersson    Kuzmenko

Dadonov          Miller             Boeser

Pearson           Horvat           Kessel

Deslauriers      Lammikko     Highmore

Hughes      Manson

Hague        Marino

Rathbone   Schenn

Demko    Martin

That is a strong playoff team and we fill all of our holes as well.  The cap numbers work too.  I would say a team like this could even be classified as a contender really...

4 hours ago, JM_ said:

does OEL need dumperooing? he's still a really good player, I get the fear that he'll decline but he's not there yet. 

As a fan, I feel as confident in him as I have in any defenseman that I have watched since becoming a fan in 1983.  I don't think OEL gets nearly enough credit for his play.  I don't think it is an accident that Hughes had a huge bounceback when OEL joined the team.

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, AV. said:

Yep.  As I've always said, OEL was finished.  Not only did we take on his awful contract, we PAID to do it.

Well and truly, it makes you wonder...

This is just absolutely asinine.

He's 31 years old, and just had a very solid season for us. Overpaid? Definitely.

But how can you sit from behind your keyboard and say the guy is "finished" at this stage in his career? I mean, even just physically the guy still looks very young. 

The absolute lack of respect. This is a former captain and all star player who chose to leave the only team he's ever played for to be in Vancouver. 

Try separating the salary cap from the player, for just a second. It's not his fault he got a big contract... having captained and even lead Arizona in scoring. 

Jet Black Jim definitely did not need to make the deal for OEL, but he knew he was getting a good player... and he got one.

19 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

As a fan, I feel as confident in him as I have in any defenseman that I have watched since becoming a fan in 1983.  I don't think OEL gets nearly enough credit for his play.  I don't think it is an accident that Hughes had a huge bounceback when OEL joined the team.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, JM_ said:

does OEL need dumperooing? he's still a really good player, I get the fear that he'll decline but he's not there yet. 

Oel is a keeper as far as I'm concerned. I bet he improves this coming year. 

People underestimate how hard it would be to replace him. 

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Gonna be a pretty tough task.

Five more seasons on a contract that is, less then appealing for any potential trade partner.

I don't see any scenario where we don't lose something of significant value.

2 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Oel is a keeper as far as I'm concerned. I bet he improves this coming year. 

People underestimate how hard it would be to replace him. 

So the reports of them trying to find a new home for him must be false?  Or what?  

26 minutes ago, nergish said:

This is just absolutely asinine.

He's 31 years old, and just had a very solid season for us. Overpaid? Definitely.

But how can you sit from behind your keyboard and say the guy is "finished" at this stage in his career? I mean, even just physically the guy still looks very young. 

The absolute lack of respect. This is a former captain and all star player who chose to leave the only team he's ever played for to be in Vancouver. 

Try separating the salary cap from the player, for just a second. It's not his fault he got a big contract... having captained and even lead Arizona in scoring. 

Jet Black Jim definitely did not need to make the deal for OEL, but he knew he was getting a good player... and he got one.

OEL was once a great player, in fact, one of my favourite players not on Vancouver, but he hasn't been that player for many seasons now.  Trust me on this.

Truth is, if 25 pts and marginal/replaceable defensive play is "solid" for him at 31, well, we're in massive trouble with him at 33, 34, etc.

But you are right the last part.  Benning had no reason to do this deal, in fact, the team would have been smooth sailing with 12M coming off the books this summer instead, but he did it anyways to save try to save his job, and left us an even more cap-&^@#ed team.

Life under Benning.  No survivors.

Edited by AV.
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, AV. said:

OEL was once a great player, in fact, one of my favourite players not on Vancouver, but he hasn't been that player for many seasons now.  Trust me on this.

Truth is, if 25 pts and marginally replaceable defensive play is "solid" for him at 31, well, we're in massive trouble with him at 33, 34, etc.

But you are right the last part.  Benning had no reason to do this deal, in fact, the team would have been smooth sailing with 12M coming off the books this summer instead, but he did it anyways to save try to save his job, and left us an even more cap-&^@#ed team.

Life under Benning.  No survivors.

I'm not exactly thrilled to be saddled with the contract, but your response still feels a bit disingenuous. He had 29 points, and was very solid defensively. 

But my point was more that he actually looks quite young and spry for 31 - he's a lean, agile guy. Again, absolutely overpaid but far from "finished".

He just can't play the same game he did when was a perennial all star, and I get that it's a bummer. But he's a very serviceable player and a great guy for our locker room.

You take the good with the bad, and you end up with a "Meh". 

Quinn Hughes put up nearly 70 points, OEL wasn't going to get a sniff of any real offensive time, and he played accordingly. 

I think we can move off of Myers and still make use of Oliver.

• Cheers 2