The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] full dumperoo

[proposal] full dumperoo   

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Just a couple of thoughts.................

#1...you title conjures up many thoughts.............lol

its just a nod to Alfie, he's got a good sense of humour 

1 hour ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

#2...I think LA is our answer, whether it is Durzi or not....they have young RHD, all of which can not stay....Clarke,(19) Durz(23)i, Spence(21), Faber(19), Grans(20)...........that is not including Doughty ( 5 more years) , Roy (27 years old), Walker (27 years old) or Strand (25 years old) or UFA  Stecher(28)

Ultimately, LA only has spots for 2 of its 5 prospects, 1 if you include Durzi as a roster player that he is.....I would also imagine Clarke is up in a year, so even if they carry 4, that is still 2prospects that are available, so something has to give there eventually.........within a year, IMO

My understanding is they really like Garland, because of his play and contract....thoughts?

LA is interesting, I wonder how willing they are to make us better tho? could be a hard sell, and with Bergevin there now I can see a pretty strong anti-Vancouver sentiment there.

I see Vegas as part of the answer, maybe via the threat of an offer sheet. Nick Roy and Hague go a long way to upgrading our size and needs at C and D. Vegas can't afford to keep both. 

What if we move Brock for the cap space, picks and prospects, and take on Dadonov, Roy and Hague for Rathbone and Hoglander? 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, JM_ said:

its just a nod to Alfie, he's got a good sense of humour 

LA is interesting, I wonder how willing they are to make us better tho? could be a hard sell, and with Bergevin there now I can see a pretty strong anti-Vancouver sentiment there.

I see Vegas as part of the answer, maybe via the threat of an offer sheet. Nick Roy and Hague go a long way to upgrading our size and needs at C and D. Vegas can't afford to keep both. 

What if we move Brock for the cap space, picks and prospects, and take on Dadonov, Roy and Hague for Rathbone and Hoglander? 

I was good until you said Rathbone.............no trading Rathbone!!!!

• Haha 1

On 5/11/2022 at 8:20 AM, JM_ said:

So this is inspired by our friend @Alflives but it might be a sentiment shared by a lot of the fanbase? 

If we assume this roster has too many problems to be fixed within 2 years, should it just be blown up? full teardown/tank. 

Are OEL's contract, risk of Millers decline, lack of prospect depth just too much to expect Rutherford to fix?

Trading away Demko, Hughes, Petey, Bo, Miller, Myers likely nets the team all the 1sts and prospects needed for a full rebuild. 

Would you accept that decision by Rutherford? 

EDIT: also this is meant to have fun with, not get angry over. 

Blowing it all up doesnt really make sense to me, i dont think theres any unfixable problems on the roster. After next year, Virtanen and Holtby's combined 2.4m drops off.
We'd also have 1 year left on dickinson, so buyout would be cheap. Poolman if healthy could be moved with a very small salary retention (third pairing RHD going rate should be about 1.5m). 

I think the cap isnt really a consideration as to whether we should blow it up or not. The big question is will our franchise players BE franchise players. Will Petey become the 40 goal/100 point superstar he can be? I think we all agree Hughes is going to become a franchise player. 

Its really all on Petey. 

20 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Blowing it all up doesnt really make sense to me, i dont think theres any unfixable problems on the roster. After next year, Virtanen and Holtby's combined 2.4m drops off.
We'd also have 1 year left on dickinson, so buyout would be cheap. Poolman if healthy could be moved with a very small salary retention (third pairing RHD going rate should be about 1.5m). 

I think the cap isnt really a consideration as to whether we should blow it up or not. The big question is will our franchise players BE franchise players. Will Petey become the 40 goal/100 point superstar he can be? I think we all agree Hughes is going to become a franchise player. 

Its really all on Petey. 

it makes some sense to me if mgmt makes the determination that Bo doesn't fit the window, or Miller (and Miller wants too much $). At that point, we're potentially in a rebuild anyway so maybe then full nuke makes sense? gather up 5-6 extra 1st rounders and try to align the ages of the players better?

its risky for sure. I'd like to see them make it work with this core before something like that happens. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

it makes some sense to me if mgmt makes the determination that Bo doesn't fit the window, or Miller (and Miller wants too much $). At that point, we're potentially in a rebuild anyway so maybe then full nuke makes sense? gather up 5-6 extra 1st rounders and try to align the ages of the players better?

its risky for sure. I'd like to see them make it work with this core before something like that happens. 

I think if Bo and Miller don't fit the window, we could still move both of them for younger options. Petey and Hughes are both significantly younger, and goaltenders hit their peak later than other players. 

I think the challenge with moving everyone for draftpicks is in the first round, you still only have a 20-30% chance of getting a good nhl player, and a much smaller chance of getting a great one. Benning drafted really well in the 1st round w/ Petey, Hughes, Bo, Brock, etc. But we could easily end up trading away our window for virtanens and juolevis. 

• Vintage 1

48 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

I think if Bo and Miller don't fit the window, we could still move both of them for younger options. Petey and Hughes are both significantly younger, and goaltenders hit their peak later than other players. 

I think the challenge with moving everyone for draftpicks is in the first round, you still only have a 20-30% chance of getting a good nhl player, and a much smaller chance of getting a great one. Benning drafted really well in the 1st round w/ Petey, Hughes, Bo, Brock, etc. But we could easily end up trading away our window for virtanens and juolevis. 

thats it, thats why I call it "magic beans." Sometimes it can work, like with Makar, but sometimes you get Buffalo or AZ. 

I really like this core group, and think some smart moves around bulking up the bottom 6 and some smart changes in the d group and we have something exciting here. 

39 minutes ago, JM_ said:

thats it, thats why I call it "magic beans." Sometimes it can work, like with Makar, but sometimes you get Buffalo or AZ. 

I really like this core group, and think some smart moves around bulking up the bottom 6 and some smart changes in the d group and we have something exciting here. 

I completely agree. I think the core is really solid, and of a great age mix. 

We would have been a fantastic team this year if we had decent penalty killing. A lot of work needs to be done to the third line and to the defense if we're going to get better there. 

I think bringing in Josh Manson (5m/year) and Colin Miller (2.5m/year) while shipping out Myers would do wonders for us. 
OEL-Manson
Hughes-Miller
Rathbone-Dermott
*Schenn

I like that a lot. 

• Cheers 1

@JM_    Well I am going to make you laugh.................total day dreamin, but I am wondering what you think of this one?

Miller, Boeser and Garland       to        Columbus

for

2022-6th OA and 2022-12th

If we can sign RW Andrai Kuzmenko

We clear between 17 Million and 20 million over the next 2 years contracts in Boeser's and Miller's new contracts, along with Garland's current contract

We sit at the 2022 draft with the 6th, 12th, and 15th OA picks...........we then move the 6th and 15th OA for the 2nd OA and pick RHD Nemec

and pick one of Kasper, McGroarty, Lambert with our 12 OA pick...............

This is totally a Burke move, but IMO, we secure a #1/2 RH Dman, who is of all-star pedigree, along with one of 3 very good Center prospects. 

It also, gives us alot of Cap to go after replacement players............not all, but some

Evander Kane RW/LW

Max Domi LW/C

Vlad Namestnikov LW/C/RW

Evin Rodregez RW/C

Anthony Deangelo RHD

Ilya Lyubushkin RHD

Kris Letang RHD

Eugene Malkin C

Or take a cap dump like Brendan Gallagher out of Montreal

The point is, any of the UFA's would be stop gaps until our younger guys mature

I mean, I know it is a hair brained scheme, that would never happen, but would that not have been said about Brian Burke's move to get the Sedin's?

8 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

@JM_    Well I am going to make you laugh.................total day dreamin, but I am wondering what you think of this one?

Miller, Boeser and Garland       to        Columbus

for

2022-6th OA and 2022-12th

If we can sign RW Andrai Kuzmenko

We clear between 17 Million and 20 million over the next 2 years contracts in Boeser's and Miller's new contracts, along with Garland's current contract

We sit at the 2022 draft with the 6th, 12th, and 15th OA picks...........we then move the 6th and 15th OA for the 2nd OA and pick RHD Nemec

and pick one of Kasper, McGroarty, Lambert with our 12 OA pick...............

This is totally a Burke move, but IMO, we secure a #1/2 RH Dman, who is of all-star pedigree, along with one of 3 very good Center prospects. 

It also, gives us alot of Cap to go after replacement players............not all, but some

Evander Kane RW/LW

Max Domi LW/C

Vlad Namestnikov LW/C/RW

Evin Rodregez RW/C

Anthony Deangelo RHD

Ilya Lyubushkin RHD

Kris Letang RHD

Eugene Malkin C

Or take a cap dump like Brendan Gallagher out of Montreal

The point is, any of the UFA's would be stop gaps until our younger guys mature

I mean, I know it is a hair brained scheme, that would never happen, but would that not have been said about Brian Burke's move to get the Sedin's?

I think if we do that, then lets go back to your original post and go full blow up, we end up with better assets. 

• Cheers 1