The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Senators "Will be open for business" surrounding 7th overall

2 minutes ago, Maverick84 said:

Garrioch is reporting that the Sens will be open to trading their 7th OA for "Current help"

We got them to give us a Pick for Hamonic, I wonder what our new GM could swing for 7....

https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators/garrioch-senators-retain-no-7-selection-in-the-lottery-but-dorion-will-be-open-for-business

Who, on our roster, is worth 7OA that we would trade and the Sens would want?  Clearly we aren't trading Petey, Demko, or Hughes.  And it's highly unlikely the Sens would want Miller.  So ...

Garland straight across for 7OA?

Boeser + 15 for 7OA?

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Who, on our roster, is worth 7OA that we would trade and the Sens would want?  Clearly we aren't trading Petey, Demko, or Hughes.  And it's highly unlikely the Sens would want Miller.  So ...

Garland straight across for 7OA?

Boeser + 15 for 7OA?

Boeser straight up for 7th if a contact extension is in place. Sign and trade

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

This kind of thing happens every single year at this time.  Nothing surprising here.  I also wouldn't be surprised if practically every team in the top 10 says the same thing.  Problem is nobody moves them (except the Canucks), because the price is stupid high.  In short, nothing to bother getting excited about.  

• Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Boeser straight up for 7th if a contact extension is in place. Sign and trade

If we sign Boeser to a contract that's attractive enough to get 7OA for him, why would we trade him away?  

Garland is signed for 4 more years.  It's hard for the Sens to attract good players via free agency.  So I could see them very much wanting Garland for his contract and because he's good too. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Pick 15 and Boeser (sign and trade) to the Sens for pick 7 and 39

Miller to the Devils for Pick 2, 37, Sharangovich/Bahl

Pick 7 pick 39 and Hoglander to the Sabres for picks 9 and 16

Canucks draft 2nd, 9th, 16th and 37th 

Man...I really gotta find things to do with my days

I don't think the Devil's do that deal, I sure as hell wouldn't trade a second overall pick for Miller let alone more, not at his age

They could get a better return on that sort of package imo, which isn't to diminish the season Miller had or the player he is

I've advocated trading Miller for a package including Kakko, but Kakko's been underwhelming as a second overall player thus far, I'd be banking on him developing better here 

I'd be interested in that Sens trade though, it'd clear up cap and nab us two blue chip prospects if not a close to NHL ready player at 7

1 hour ago, Maverick84 said:

Garrioch is reporting that the Sens will be open to trading their 7th OA for "Current help"

We got them to give us a Pick for Hamonic, I wonder what our new GM could swing for 7....

https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators/garrioch-senators-retain-no-7-selection-in-the-lottery-but-dorion-will-be-open-for-business

I think they were quite happy with Hamonic. A trade that seemed to work out for both parties. It’s nice that they have a working relationship. Maybe a signed Boeser or Garland for the 7th overall pick. Could be huge for us if we managed to pull off a trade like that while keeping the 15th overall. Get Jiricek at 7th and Mintyukov at 15th and our defence is set!

Garland and Hoglander for the 7th straight up?

One of them for swapping picks with them getting our #15?

Rathbone and Hoglander for the pick?

Several possible options... not sure any of them beat what other teams would offer, but that is certainly help "right now" in exchange for another prospect for them that won't be ready for a couple years at least.

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

Garland and Hoglander for the 7th straight up?

One of them for swapping picks with them getting our #15?

Rathbone and Hoglander for the pick?

Several possible options... not sure any of them beat what other teams would offer, but that is certainly help "right now" in exchange for another prospect for them that won't be ready for a couple years at least.

Garland is a pretty valuable asset.  A 50pt top 6 forward signed to a really cap friendly deal for several more years through much of his prime... not a common player to be available.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Pick 15 and Boeser (sign and trade) to the Sens for pick 7 and 39

Miller to the Devils for Pick 2, 37, Sharangovich/Bahl

Pick 7 pick 39 and Hoglander to the Sabres for picks 9 and 16

Canucks draft 2nd, 9th, 16th and 37th 

Man...I really gotta find things to do with my days

I don't think they should be trying to move up from 15, but adding to 15.  Boeser for #7 in a so so draft is a fair deal, imo.

Nothing gets done until pick #6 is announced...THEN if either Nemec or Jiricek (preferred) are available at 7 then we bid Myers and the 15 O/A adieu. Sens get a RHD + whatever they pickup for the 15th. Doubt they even sniff at that but hey, OTT is not exactly known for their trade prowess.

Realistically I see it being more of a fit for either NYR, DET or LAK to jump up...they have more assets to spare.

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I don't think the Devil's do that deal, I sure as hell wouldn't trade a second overall pick for Miller let alone more, not at his age

They could get a better return on that sort of package imo, which isn't to diminish the season Miller had or the player he is

I've advocated trading Miller for a package including Kakko, but Kakko's been underwhelming as a second overall player thus far, I'd be banking on him developing better here 

I'd be interested in that Sens trade though, it'd clear up cap and nab us two blue chip prospects if not a close to NHL ready player at 7

if they offer the Canucks the second OA, Hughes would be their only target

• Upvote 2