The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Senators "Will be open for business" surrounding 7th overall

19 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I just wish he was more of a playmaker with all that elusiveness. I don't know maybe it's his line mates. He always seems to hang on to the puck for such long periods without accomplishing much. He's fun to watch though and I like him as a player so I digress. He's feisty and a gamer which is a good playoff mentality.

He's fantastic at drawing penalties because of his elusiveness in the offensive zone.  So I guess you could say he creates offensive opportunities that way? lol

• Upvote 1

On 5/14/2022 at 1:58 PM, Gollumpus said:

Conflicted. (rhetorical thought exercise for my benefit)

I'm looking forward to the Canucks drafting a (largish) RD, and they are all hanging out down at 18 - 20th OA aren't they (eg. Lamoureux, Rinzel)? For that objective, being at 15th is okay by me.

This being said, getting a LD at 7OA wouldn't be the end of the world, particularly if he turned out to be a Chycrun clone (maybe Korchinski?) .

What else would have to be given up to get that pick? Might the 7th OA be had without trading the 15th? A potential downside of moving Boeser, Garland etc are the ripples from those potential moves; do other core players lose patience, not wanting to be part of (another) re-build, and ask to be traded, or just opt to not re-sign here? 

Moving the 15th for "something" that would be useful right now could also be interesting. What team(s) would be willing to to exchange a young, mobile, RD with size and is also defensively responsible and plays a physical game, who can also chip in a reasonable amount of points, is team controlled for the next several years on a team friendly contract, and is a good team mate, and is very coachable, for the 15th OA? And maybe Rathbone?

regards,  G.

Islanders did just fire Trotz so they might be willing to do something else crazy like trading Dobson :bigblush:

21 minutes ago, HKSR said:

He's fantastic at drawing penalties because of his elusiveness in the offensive zone.  So I guess you could say he creates offensive opportunities that way? lol

That's, absolutely, a big part of his game and an important element to the team ........when their pp is clicking

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I just wish he was more of a playmaker with all that elusiveness. I don't know maybe it's his line mates. He always seems to hang on to the puck for such long periods without accomplishing much. He's fun to watch though and I like him as a player so I digress. He's feisty and a gamer which is a good playoff mentality.

That was definitely an issue through the middle part of his season and BB addressed that and he was much better down the stretch, imo.  It's definitely something that needs to be monitored 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Islanders did just fire Trotz so they might be willing to do something else crazy like trading Dobson :bigblush:

I would include Podkolzin or even #15OA in a trade if it meant landing Dobson.  He's exactly what the Canucks need in a long term RHD for Hughes.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

I would include Podkolzin or even #15OA in a trade if it meant landing Dobson.  He's exactly what the Canucks need in a long term RHD for Hughes.

:shock::frantic:

nyet to moving Podz. 

• Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Lol, for a 6'4" 50pt RHD that plays 20min+ a night and is only 21?  I'd do it.

I'd be willing to consider moving any players not named Pettersson or Demko if Dobson was coming our way.  He has the potential to be the next Hedman.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'd be willing to consider moving any players not named Pettersson or Demko if Dobson was coming our way.  He has the potential to be the next Hedman.

You'd move Hughes for Dobson?

24 minutes ago, HKSR said:

You'd move Hughes for Dobson?

There's not a huge offensive drop off and a large defensive upgrade, while we still have OEL and Rathbone for offense from the left side.  I think the two players are roughly equal value but we improve the balance of our group by doing so.  Fair hockey trade and have to give to get.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

There's not a huge offensive drop off and a large defensive upgrade, while we still have OEL and Rathbone for offense from the left side.  I think the two players are roughly equal value but we improve the balance of our group by doing so.  Fair hockey trade and have to give to get.

I'd have a really hard time with moving a player as dynamic and gamebreaking as Hughes for Dobson... but then again, that's probably what makes it a fair trade.  It shouldn't feel comfortable.

5 hours ago, stawns said:

I don't agree there, I don't think he gets hit anymore than anyone else.  IN fact, I think he evades hits more than most

i dunno the way he shifts and turns near the board and because he's so small and gets pretty low.. he's 1 awkward hit from being in the concussion protocol

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

That’s a tempting proposal. 

I’d probably do that if we could land a young RHD to play alongside Hughes for the next decade. 

13 hours ago, HKSR said:

Lol, for a 6'4" 50pt RHD that plays 20min+ a night and is only 21?  I'd do it.

If we could land a player like, if not, Dobson that would be perfect...

We may have to pay, sorry we will have to pay to get that, thus Podz may be in play... but isn't it a bit like robbing Peter to pay Paul?

We've been desperate for some size, who can actually play in the top 6... Its not as if we are drowning in big forwards? But yes Dobson would be a great addition.

On 5/11/2022 at 3:19 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Well, this is Pierre Dorion we're talking about, so the #15, Garland and Hoglander should do it. 

Not sure what that means exactly...Dorian recognized his EK core wasn't working and pulled the plug about as hard as any GM has done other then maybe Lou in TO since the cap came in and did exactly what most of us hoped JB could or would do.   They already had Chabot in the stable too... Dorian and his scouting staff also have a very good drafting history of finding guys outside of the first round.    And punching above their weight class in the first round often enough too.    They are now at a point where they can start adding playing to compliment their team and spend to the cap - something both Dorian and RIP Melnyk both said they'd be doing soon.    They are in an envious position to leapfrog a lot of teams very soon with some smart acquisitions.   Look at what happened to our team just by plugging two holes by signing Myers and Miller (and we still had remnants of our last core).... 

Anyways wouldn't make fun of Dorian.  He's done an admirable job - aside from the Zib trade which he got fleeced on, and the Duchene deal (which in a way sparked the tear down and the rebuild in the first place) ... we have Hoglander as a tweener - they have six or seven guys like him and a lot doing a lot better on a team spending not even close to the cap.   They for sure could not only afford Miller, he might be a target for them, or one of the other high profile UFAs this summer.    Brock makes some sense too.   Another guy they can afford and only a short flight to his parents.    He loaded up on picks - something we never did, and of course, like usual, hit on more then 90% of the GMs out there. 

• Cheers 1