The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Senators "Will be open for business" surrounding 7th overall

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Garland and Hoglander for the 7th straight up?

One of them for swapping picks with them getting our #15?

Rathbone and Hoglander for the pick?

Several possible options... not sure any of them beat what other teams would offer, but that is certainly help "right now" in exchange for another prospect for them that won't be ready for a couple years at least.

Garland might make the most sense for Ottawa. He could be a nice fit with Stutzle and give Ottawa a decent top 6 group built around Tkachuk-Batherson and Stutzle-Garland. 

Maybe they'd go for Garland and Dermott. 

40 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Garland might make the most sense for Ottawa. He could be a nice fit with Stutzle and give Ottawa a decent top 6 group built around Tkachuk-Batherson and Stutzle-Garland. 

Maybe they'd go for Garland and Dermott. Poolman

Fixed it for you, I think autocorrect did you dirty on that one!  :P

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 70seven said:

Pick 7?  Really?  Idk… this draft is pretty meh. Rather keep garland and Boeser tbh

One of Jiricek or Nemec should be available by then (hopefully)… and those are pretty blue chip top 4D prospects that should contribute significantly while still on ELCs and set up the team in an area it is extremely weak right now.

If neither of them are available at #7 it is because an even higher rated player falls to that spot and that isn’t a bad thing either.

The simple truth is that wingers are much more replaceable than high end D or Centres.  If you have any chance at getting high end young D prospects or players you just need to do it.

If we moved on from Garland, then Podkolzin, Hoglander, that Russian we are on the shortlist for, or a combination of all three could replace the bulk of that offence at a lower price tag.  Never mind what we could do with the leftover cap space.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 70seven said:

Pick 7?  Really?  Idk… this draft is pretty meh. Rather keep garland and Boeser tbh

I'd rather keep garland for sure.......if they'd take boeser straight up for #7, you take it and run as fast as possible

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Who, on our roster, is worth 7OA that we would trade and the Sens would want?  Clearly we aren't trading Petey, Demko, or Hughes.  And it's highly unlikely the Sens would want Miller.  So ...

Garland straight across for 7OA?

Boeser + 15 for 7OA?

7th and 15th are basically the same in this draft

Screenshot_20220511-193018_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I guess this all stems to, who are we going to move?

Who are we going to re-sign...............

Here is my take on the people you hear most often

Miller.........................Best player on the team this year, and would bring in a great return......but moving him regresses us......looking at the playoffs.....we are not ready

Garland....................Great even strength player. Has a high repetition around the league........is he replaceable on the UFA market?

Boeser......................yes his cap hit could be high, but if you trade him it is with retention, then you have the retention and a lesser player, it make no sense

Myers........................Myers numbers were great this year, and those numbers are #2 type Dman numbers..............our best RHD, he goes not where, IMO

OEL..........................Solid defender, with a trade proof contract, and short of a large retention, would bring us nothing

Horvat.......................Horvat, one of the best Face Off players in the league. He would bring a handsome reward in trade.....

Hughes......................Ok, first off, he is not going to be traded, he is too much a fan favorite, and the best Offensive Dman we have ever had

Pearson....................He will clear some cap and get you a 3rd rounder..........woppie!

Poolman ..................will cost to get rid of..........clears cap..............cost?

Dickenson.................I think you can move him cheap..........Pearson's 3rd.........he is actually well thought of around the league

IMO, the guys you trade are Miller, Garland, and maybe Horvat if Miller stays.  It is a matter of cap and where we can add, or replace..................RW is the easiest

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I guess this all stems to, who are we going to move?

Who are we going to re-sign...............

Here is my take on the people you hear most often

Miller.........................Best player on the team this year, and would bring in a great return......but moving him regresses us......looking at the playoffs.....we are not ready

Garland....................Great even strength player. Has a high repetition around the league........is he replaceable on the UFA market?

Boeser......................yes his cap hit could be high, but if you trade him it is with retention, then you have the retention and a lesser player, it make no sense

Myers........................Myers numbers were great this year, and those numbers are #2 type Dman numbers..............our best RHD, he goes not where, IMO

OEL..........................Solid defender, with a trade proof contract, and short of a large retention, would bring us nothing

Horvat.......................Horvat, one of the best Face Off players in the league. He would bring a handsome reward in trade.....

Hughes......................Ok, first off, he is not going to be traded, he is too much a fan favorite, and the best Offensive Dman we have ever had

Pearson....................He will clear some cap and get you a 3rd rounder..........woppie!

Poolman ..................will cost to get rid of..........clears cap..............cost?

Dickenson.................I think you can move him cheap..........Pearson's 3rd.........he is actually well thought of around the league

IMO, the guys you trade are Miller, Garland, and maybe Horvat if Miller stays.  It is a matter of cap and where we can add, or replace..................RW is the easiest

You only trade Miller if someone offers something ridiculous and we can’t turn it down OR he wants a contract we can’t afford. Garland if you can get a decent return for him sure but I have a strong preference in keeping him. Horvat we all saw what happened to our overall structure when he got hurt so he shouldn’t be involved in any trade discussions. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Pears said:

You only trade Miller if someone offers something ridiculous and we can’t turn it down OR he wants a contract we can’t afford. Garland if you can get a decent return for him sure but I have a strong preference in keeping him. Horvat we all saw what happened to our overall structure when he got hurt so he shouldn’t be involved in any trade discussions. 

I agree................but keep in mind Philp Danault signed with LA for 5.5 million.......................he is a pretty good player, who IMO, could replace Horvat

3 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I agree................but keep in mind Philp Danault signed with LA for 5.5 million.......................he is a pretty good player, who IMO, could replace Horvat

Sure, but I don’t know if there’s a Philip Danault level player available in this free agent class. 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Pears said:

Sure, but I don’t know if there’s a Philip Danault level player available in this free agent class. 

The 2 that really stand out for me are Trocheck and Nichushkin. Both tip the scales at both ends of the ice.

But neither are guaranteed to be available come July 1st, and they aren’t going to be cheap.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Pears said:

Nor do I, Pears............I am just pointing out that because Danault was used exclusively in a defensive role in Montreal, and "IF" JR decided to keep Miller than a Danault type player being our 3rd line center, would work well................

Don't get me wrong, I love Horvat, but something will give and "IF" Horvat landed us a early 1st round pick, and it was Nemec/Jiricek, then it would have to be looked at.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, D-Money said:

The 2 that really stand out for me are Trocheck and Nichushkin. Both tip the scales at both ends of the ice.

But neither are guaranteed to be available come July 1st, and they aren’t going to be cheap.

True on both parts. Trochek could be a possibility since Carolina is gonna be pretty cap strapped and they’ll be focused on getting Necas locked up. Nichushkin has really come into his own and I doubt Colorado let’s him walk if they have a say in it. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, JM_ said:

Maybe they'd go for Garland and Dermott. 

Boudreau called Garland a 3rd liner on a podcast.  He is not really a finisher.

Fwiw Dorion has travelled over a couple of times to watch Wild games although the season series was already over - it's believed that he's been scouting Fiala.  Garrioch has also been name dropping him regularly.  NJD also on the ranks per Marek.

Edited by mll