The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Habs Deal Their 1st OA (Discussion)

Probably an exercise in futility, but wondering if anyone dreams up a good one. We never see 1st OA's get dealt, especially from a team hosting a draft! How far would a rival GM/team have to go, to persuade with something irresistible?

Unfortunately I see the Avs winning it all this spring. Afterwards, drunk on success, they offer this to Mtl:

COL: Newhook, Byram, Girard

Mtl: 1st OA & Mike Hoffman(an undesired cap dump to help Mtl)

Outrageous to ponder..but imagine winning Stanley, & THEN landing the top pick right afterwards?

What team could possibly assemble an offer the Habs couldn't refuse?

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

5 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Montreal hasn’t picked 1st oa in 42 years and now they have a chance to do that in front of their home fans. They aren’t moving that pick 

Do you remember the circumstances on that 1980 pick? I believe it was Wickenheiser over Denis Savard? Also pretty sure Grundman had taken over for Sam Pollock?

There was a lot of heat/debate over this one, as Denis was dynamic, French, yet undersized. Apparently the pressure on Doug Wickenheiser was just too heavy, & they moved him to St Loo

Used to wonder if the Habs would've built a more aggressive/offensive 1980's squad, had they drafted DS.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Do you remember the circumstances on that 1980 pick? I believe it was Wickenheiser over Denis Savard? Also pretty sure Grundman had taken over for Sam Pollock?

There was a lot of heat/debate over this one, as Denis was dynamic, French, yet undersized. Apparently the pressure on Doug Wickenheiser was just too heavy, & they moved him to St Loo

Used to wonder if the Habs would've built a more aggressive/offensive 1980's squad, had they drafted DS.

Wickenheiser was the consensus number one pick. It wasn’t an off the book choice   He just didn’t work out.  Montréal missed out on both Savard and Coffey. Painful but it happens. 

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

Wickenheiser was the consensus number one pick. It wasn’t an off the book choice   He just didn’t work out.  Montréal missed out on both Savard and Coffey. Painful but it happens. 

I just went to Wiki to refresh my memory(as mentioned before, was hardcore Habs fan as a kid). Indeed Grundman ran things from 78-1983. Also the architect of that much-discussed, infamous deal with the Caps(Walter, Langway, etc...).

Ironically he'd draft the great Chris Chelios, who'd ultimately be sent to Chicago for the (then fading) Denis Savard. Yet seems all these blokes would wind up with their names etched in silver, one way or the other.

14 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

6 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

They were fine... more than fine 6 years later...

5 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Man thank goodness for Burkie.  That was THE year to go all in and pick the 2 best players in the entire draft.  99% of that draft sucked.

3 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Perhaps, but "never" is an absolute being thrown around that has been demonstrated to be overstated.

Sure.  “Never” isn’t accurate.  It has happened. But not in a long time and not under the current economic  circumstances (salary cap).  It’s it a 100% certainty that 1st oa won’t ever be moved?  No.  But in this specific circumstance I’m pretty confident in saying Montreal will not move that pick. 

MacKinnon, Stamkos, Hedman...How many #1OA's have legitimately paid off in spades? If one goes back to analyze, it's easy to pick off numerous yrs where the top drafter would've been wise to ca$h in their position, garnering 3-5 top assets.

It's merely theoretical(for decades now), but one of these yrs a GM will likely be so bold.

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Considering more than 3 players (of 272 drafted) were talented and long-time veteran players in the league performing at a high level (just offhand, there are the Sedins, Zetterberg, and Miller of the Ryan variety who were drafted in '99), I would say your bolded statement is also an overstatement.  :lol:

haha, ok, maybe 97% sucked.

• Cheers 1

I'd trade Miller to NYR for their pick, Lafrenier and K Miller.

Then Lafrenier and the NYR pick and our 15th pick and a plus to MTL for the 1st OA but even then they probably wouldn't do it because the draft is literally being held in Montreal and picking 1st OA in your own barn is a HUGE deal

I think there is about a zero percent chance Montreal moves the pick with the draft at home but lets have some fun with it. 

Arizona, who is desperate to show everyone they are in fact an NHL team and better than the college team they are about to share a rink with, makes a massive deal. 

To Arizona:

1 OA - Pick Shane Wright 

To Montreal 

3OA - Juraj Slafkovsky 

Carolina's 2022 1st

Jakob Chychrun 

Feeling a financial pinch, Arizona reduces their scouting staff to 1 person and simply reads the central scouting report and drafts accordingly. Their single scout realized Wright was an exceptional status player (reviews list of other exceptional status players) and determines he will be the best player in the NHL. 

Years later, Wright is hampered by the development system used by the yotes and is clearly outplayed by Slafkovsky and whoever Montreal picks with the Carolina pick. Montreal then trades for Wright in 2026, sending what's left of Brendan Gallagher to the desert as a retirement gift.

Typical Arizona!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I wasn't disputing the location.  I was pointing out that the Lightning traded their 1OA pick away, which was then traded away again by Burkie.

Sorry, I thought you were comparing to the current situation (team with 1 OA is hosting).

But based on the circumstances (Montreal needs a #1 C AND they have the consensus #1 pick at their finger tips AND they are hosting in an absolute hockey mad environment), I'm gonna go ahead and state with 100% certainty, Montreal picks at #1.

2 minutes ago, Highstickin said:

I think there is about a zero percent chance Montreal moves the pick with the draft at home but lets have some fun with it. 

Arizona, who is desperate to show everyone they are in fact an NHL team and better than the college team they are about to share a rink with, makes a massive deal. 

To Arizona:

1 OA - Pick Shane Wright 

To Montreal 

3OA - Juraj Slafkovsky 

Carolina's 2022 1st

Jakob Chychrun 

Feeling a financial pinch, Arizona reduces their scouting staff to 1 person and simply reads the central scouting report and drafts accordingly. Their single scout realized Wright was an exceptional status player (reviews list of other exceptional status players) and determines he will be the best player in the NHL. 

Years later, Wright is hampered by the development system used by the yotes and is clearly outplayed by Slafkovsky and whoever Montreal picks with the Carolina pick. Montreal then trades for Wright in 2026, sending what's left of Brendan Gallagher to the desert as a retirement gift.

Typical Arizona!

There we go! Knew someone would dream up a beaut

6 minutes ago, Highstickin said:

To Arizona:

1 OA - Pick Shane Wright 

To Montreal 

3OA - Juraj Slafkovsky 

Carolina's 2022 1st

Jakob Chychrun 

Typical Arizona!

Scouting staff?  At this rate, the only person that will be sitting at the table on draft day will be Bill Armstrong.  It'll just be him in a desk that resembles one that children sit in at Kindergarten class.  With nothing but a phone and a lamp for him to read his paper that is a printout of Craig Button's draft rankings.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Scouting staff?  At this rate, the only person that will be sitting at the table on draft day will be Bill Armstrong.  It'll just be him in a desk that resembles one that children sit in at Kindergarten class.  With nothing but a phone and a lamp for him to read his paper that is a printout of Craig Button's draft rankings.

Wait a minute, a lamp? Where did they find the money for a lamp? ... or did they borrow it from the ASU library? 

• Haha 1