The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver Travel

YesWeCanNux

It all depends on what your family is in to, but here's a few ideas...

Science World, Vancouver Aquarium, Stanley Park, Granville Island, Maritime Museum, Capilano Suspension Bridge, Burnaby Village Museum, FlyOver Canada

Not to high-jack this, but what about if you go by yourself? I've always wanted to go with my SO, but they don't exist lol.

My parents went to Victoria for their honeymoon and really enjoyed it.

3 hours ago, YesWeCanNux said:

Planning a trip to Vancouver this September with the family (wife and two kids age 10 and 3). Hoping to get ideas or suggestions on what to do, what to see, where to avoid, etc.  

Any help would be appreciated! 

10 and 3 is a tough age spread... @goalie13 got most of them, grouse mountain gondola would be fun for the kids too. 

I'd probably stay out of Gastown, it can get busy and its not worth it, and its a bit scummy these days. Not really small kid friendly. 

Maplewood Farm petting zoo in north Vancouver would be fun for the little tyke.

Gondola ride up in Squamish- if it hasn't been wrecked by yet another vandalism spree.

Kids likely won't care how you get to the Squamish area, but it is possible to rent some very high end cars to get there. Porsche, Tesla, Ferrari and such.

A BC Ferry ride through Active Pass is a good viewing experience.

Up the Fraser River is the Hell's Gate Canyon ride/tram

Petting zoos

Perhaps a ride on the Sky Train

Fort Langley used to have a park/museum built to old days standards (1800s)- where I saw my first Ostrich egg. :)

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

10 and 3 is a tough age spread... @goalie13 got most of them, grouse mountain gondola would be fun for the kids too. 

I'd probably stay out of Gastown, it can get busy and its not worth it, and its a bit scummy these days. Not really small kid friendly. 

Maplewood Farm petting zoo in north Vancouver would be fun for the little tyke.

Gastown is a fantastic date night but not so much with kids.  Avoid staying anywhere within a 10 block radius of Hastings and Main; my recommendation would be to stay in the West End.  Richmond has much better Chinese food then Chinatown; if you eat at a food court you can get a good variety and also get burgers for the kids if needed.

• Cheers 1

Truth be told, it should (could?) be beautiful that time of year so just get out and enjoy time in parks and beaches (too). 

Not sure how you feel about this (as it's gambling/betting), but Hastings Race Track is a super fun family event on a sunny Saturday or Sunday. There are always loads of kids running around - they can stand at the fence and pet the lead horses in between races. There are food trucks, music, etc. 

The backdrop is beautiful (the mountains provide a great landscape).  Admission is free (Parking is $15 on site).

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Gastown is a fantastic date night but not so much with kids.  Avoid staying anywhere within a 10 block radius of Hastings and Main; my recommendation would be to stay in the West End.  Richmond has much better Chinese food then Chinatown; if you eat at a food court you can get a good variety and also get burgers for the kids if needed.

yeah Gastown and 3 year old don't really mix well. Richmond is an awesome option for food, but I kind of disagree on Chinatown not having some great options - there are far fewer but some really good ones like New town bakery. 

I'll do this for OP and for @c00kies...  

Downtown: you can spend two days around downtown and get to enjoy it.  One activity that I would recommend for both OP's family and someone visiting alone is renting a bicycle and going for a tour of the seawall.  If you are alone, you can do it any time but with a family it might be a better idea to do it during the day as it's less busy then after work, etc. 

For a family, it would be fun to go visit Granville Island.  If you're single and want to go out for a drink, Granville is tailored for 19-30 year olds, Yaletown is more for 25-45 year olds.  

Kits Beach is nice on a summer day for both families and single people... again, best accessed by bicycles along the seawall if you are not rushed.  

UBC area:  Wreck Beach is a nude beach but also one of the best places to go swimming in the ocean.  I wouldn't do it with two kids simply because there's lots of stairs and I'd be too lazy to be carrying a 3 year old if they can't make it on their own, however it's a nice place to check out.  I've been there on hot days when people can get rowdy, but also on cold days when it's just a few regulars lazing around.  It's probably my favourite beach around and has about 250 stairs that you need to climb. 

Walking around the UBC campus is also awesome on a nice summer day.  If you're hungry, find Koerner Pub.  They have a beautiful patio that's perfect for a hot day. 

Whistler is worth it for a day trip.  Don't plan on doing anything else that day...  you can do the drive in 80 minutes, but it might take you two hours one way.  Lots of hikes, the village is really nice and there's always lots of people doing outdoor activities there.  Summer is very popular for ziplining and also downhill biking. 

Capilano Suspension Bridge is pretty cool to see, but it's a little pricey.  Lynn suspension bridge is free. 

Science World would be a cool place to take the kids to.  

Bon's Off Broadway is a Vancouver establishment if you want to see where Vancouverites come to consume their greasy breakfast on the weekend, while hungover :) 

15 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Steveston is a fun day trip while you're here. Hit up Steveston Park, walk the boardwalk/get ice cream, head to Garry Point (lots of kite flying, etc.). 

This is really fun for kids too (also in Richmond), our younger students just did a field trip there:

https://www.kidtropolis.ca/

Playland (if it's open).

And some other Richmond stuff for kids ...

https://www.visitrichmondbc.com/10-places-for-family-fun-in-richmond/

15 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Downtown: you can spend two days around downtown and get to enjoy it.  One activity that I would recommend for both OP's family and someone visiting alone is renting a bicycle and going for a tour of the seawall

Have they reinstated bike riding around the seawall?   It was suspended for quite awhile due to Covid.

16 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I'll do this for OP and for @c00kies...  

Downtown: you can spend two days around downtown and get to enjoy it.  One activity that I would recommend for both OP's family and someone visiting alone is renting a bicycle and going for a tour of the seawall.  If you are alone, you can do it any time but with a family it might be a better idea to do it during the day as it's less busy then after work, etc. 

For a family, it would be fun to go visit Granville Island.  If you're single and want to go out for a drink, Granville is tailored for 19-30 year olds, Yaletown is more for 25-45 year olds.  

Kits Beach is nice on a summer day for both families and single people... again, best accessed by bicycles along the seawall if you are not rushed.  

UBC area:  Wreck Beach is a nude beach but also one of the best places to go swimming in the ocean.  I wouldn't do it with two kids simply because there's lots of stairs and I'd be too lazy to be carrying a 3 year old if they can't make it on their own, however it's a nice place to check out.  I've been there on hot days when people can get rowdy, but also on cold days when it's just a few regulars lazing around.  It's probably my favourite beach around and has about 250 stairs that you need to climb. 

Walking around the UBC campus is also awesome on a nice summer day.  If you're hungry, find Koerner Pub.  They have a beautiful patio that's perfect for a hot day. 

Whistler is worth it for a day trip.  Don't plan on doing anything else that day...  you can do the drive in 80 minutes, but it might take you two hours one way.  Lots of hikes, the village is really nice and there's always lots of people doing outdoor activities there.  Summer is very popular for ziplining and also downhill biking. 

Capilano Suspension Bridge is pretty cool to see, but it's a little pricey.  Lynn suspension bridge is free. 

Science World would be a cool place to take the kids to.  

Bon's Off Broadway is a Vancouver establishment if you want to see where Vancouverites come to consume their greasy breakfast on the weekend, while hungover :) 

I live in Whistler. I personally don't recommend a day trip other than to maybe do the Peak to Peak Gondola tour. The 3 year limits a lot of what you can do. The ziplining is pretty fun and the 10 year old would love it...if over 65 lbs. That is the minimum weight ;)

Edited by Gnarcore