The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks' Linus Karlsson 2-year ELC agreed to - will sign after national team obligations end (Drance and Dhaliwal)

Not really “news,” as Karlsson signing after completing this year’s playing commitments has been the plan for a while (both sides have basically said as much, at least when it comes to intentions), but nice to see it starting to look more “official” with media now having the confidence to put it in writing.

Would be great for this team if Karlsson can prove NHL lineup ready within the term of his ELC. Need as many budget-friendly roster options as possible.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

With a lot of Abbotsford's top scorers likely to leave in UFA (Dries, Rempal, Petan, Bailey, Di Giuseppe) for better opportunities, I expect Karlsson will get a crack in the top six for Abbotsford. Love that he can play either wing as well, and take draws on the powerplay. I can see a lot of oportunity for Karlsson in Abbotsford to start. Not convinced he is NHL ready yet, still needs to improve his skating, and as much fanfare he has gotten about his offense, I am much more curious what his development has been like in his defensive game.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Would be great for this team if Karlsson can prove NHL lineup ready within the term of his ELC. Need as many budget-friendly roster options as possible.

if he doesn't prove to be nhl calibre on his elc, his next contract will be league minimum, so either way is fine. 

It's nice to have him in, but people need to temper their expectations.

Yes, he set a record for rookie scoring, but Pettersson originally set that record as a 19 year old, Karlsson at 22, set a record for goals, but he wasn't a point per game person like Pettersson was, 3 years younger.

My expectation is, that Karlsson will develop into a dependable middle 6 guy who gets second unit powerplay time because of his shot.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

32 minutes ago, tas said:

if he doesn't prove to be nhl calibre on his elc, his next contract will be league minimum, so either way is fine. 

True. But the sooner the better. We definitely need some cheap lineup options in the next year or two, given the timeline on some of the core players and their extensions. Every lineup spot that can be filled at ELC rates or lower means money that can be applied elsewhere.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

With a lot of Abbotsford's top scorers likely to leave in UFA (Dries, Rempal, Petan, Bailey, Di Giuseppe) for better opportunities, I expect Karlsson will get a crack in the top six for Abbotsford. Love that he can play either wing as well, and take draws on the powerplay. I can see a lot of oportunity for Karlsson in Abbotsford to start. Not convinced he is NHL ready yet, still needs to improve his skating, and as much fanfare he has gotten about his offense, I am much more curious what his development has been like in his defensive game.

Better opportunities?

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Definitely. Stoked on the versatility of his game, seems like he could compete for top line on Abby or bottom-6 in Vancouver. 

• Vintage 1

If we could suddenly have Kuzmemko, Karlsson, and Klimovich each come in and contribute as a middle six forward over the next three seasons (Kuzmenko this year, Karlsson in 2023-24 after a year in the AHL, and Klimovich in 2024-25) that would make a drastic difference to our club and cap structure.

Guys like Garland, Pearson, Hoglander could then be moved on from for help in other areas and cap space to allocate elsewhere.

We just need 2 young top 4 NHL calibre D to replace Myers and Poolman and then a couple more really good D prospects in the pipeline and the roster starts looking really like one that can compete.

Edited by Provost
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1