The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks' dismiss 5 more staff, this time from Human Performance - including Roger Takahashi

Rate this topic

Ilya Mikheyev

The Athletic was able to confirm five dismissals by the time of publication, including the club’s legendary director of strength & conditioning Roger Takahashi, director of medical services & head athletic trainer Jon Sanderson, a veteran of over 1500 NHL games, and assistant athletic therapist (and occasional practice netminder) Dave Zarn.

https://theathletic.com/3309739/2022/05/13/boudreau-kuzmenko-staff-changes-what-were-hearing-about-the-canucks-offseason-priorities/

4 hours ago, Canucks_fo_life said:

About time!! Most random injuries on this team for a decade, will be nice to have a more healthy lineup down the road in crucial games

eh?  Random injuries seem to be an issue with the club going way, way, way back.  Before Benning.  Before Gillis.  Before Nonis.

We lost our best defenseman and Captain of the team just before the start of the playoffs due to a freak accident in practice in 1982 (yes, the year we went to the Finals).  McCarthy was out for the entire duration of the postseason.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 3

This is another hard firing but I see why you have to do it, just surprised it didn't all happen sooner.

Not going to be popular amongst the players but they have to get some new blood in. We were good last season but the years prior we've really struggled with conditioning and niggling injuries.

• Cheers 1

There's been multiple instances where players have been sent back into the ice after taking a clear headshot and they really should have been sent to the quiet room, most recently Garland.  I want the new medical staff to be a lot more cautious regarding the health of our players; an extra game out can be more than worth it to both team and player.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Too bad Tanev is gone.  He could have been an ironman in Vancouver...

I wonder if management noticed Tanev's health since he's been out of Vancouver.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, c00kies said:

I wonder if management noticed Tanev's health since he's been out of Vancouver.

This was my thoughts as well. But we've also brought in players who had relatively no injury history, only to come here and miss 10-15 games a year every year. Can't just be coincidence. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Jon Sanderson is going to be a very unpopular dismissal among players I think.

Takahashi being canned is well deserved IMO. The strength and conditioning of our players has been a big issue over the years. I feel he wasn’t identifying players weaknesses properly. Players like Boeser needed to work on foot speed and conditioning and came in bulked up but slow and out of shape.

Agree, especially Brock!  image.jpeg.d4a706ef85562ecb846a63b87d63f33c.jpeg

More Great news. As many other here have noted both players and prospects here have some of the worst conditioning in the league.  

Look at Marky / Tanmans injury record in CGY compared to here - many said Tanev was almost untradable due to his injury history here. 

Fat Virtanen, Lazy Juolevi. . .Mikey D - the list goes on and on with prospects as well as pro's

Seems like Brock and Petey have been injured for most of the 2 out of 3 last seasons.  

I know injuries happen but there are a lot of warning signs here for a franchise that make a change in direction in training management more than warranted. I pointed this out as a critical failing in my review of the Benning era a few months back and really glad to see its addressed - some encouraging signs of change from this new group over the past few weeks. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1