The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks' dismiss 5 more staff, this time from Human Performance - including Roger Takahashi

Rate this topic

Ilya Mikheyev

I'm on the fence about Takahashi/training and conditioning.

There's only so much that can be done and the rest is up to the person you're training. If they leave after their workout and don't stick to a healthy diet or are partying, it's out of their coach's control to some degree. You work with what you've got.

I do feel that things were likely stale and a fresh slate and changes are probably a good move.

But Tanev was injured due to fatigue and overuse as much as anything.

Also, last year with the Flames:

Tanev played through multiple injuries at the tail end of the season, including broken ribs and a torn pectoral muscle, per Wes Gilbertson of the Calgary Sun.

Injury is a tricky thing...the most conditioned athletes in the world can still fall victim to injury.

Not that I'm against moving Takahashi out for a new s & c coach....just that it doesn't mean he was to blame for the player's injuries or lack of commitment to fitness. In watching some of the footage, it seems he worked them pretty hard and not just strength training...interval training, etc.

• Vintage 2

13 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Great to see the house cleaning of this stale oprganization progress in Ernest into the deepest cracks and crevices of this organization.  Can't wait for the clean-up to start within the player ranks, which has been long overdue.    Based on what we've heard and seen from JR so far, this off-season could turn into the beginning of a bloodbath in the players ranks - which I'm almost expecting at this point, as the current team composition has completely FAILED for years finishing in the bottom of the league and out of the playoffs year after year!  So there is absolutely NO WAY that this current roster should be kept "as is" as it has not worked out in years and time to move on.     

There are obviously a few good pieces to keep and we all know who they are, but there are some very, very bad contracts and poorly performing players that MUST be EJECTED as soon as it can be done within reason.   I suspect "The Purge" will take the better part of 2 to 3 years to clean up the Jim Benning Mess. So we'll need to be patient!

So thrilled to finally see a major housecleaning of this franchise. Long overdue!  

"The current team" isn't the same over the years...that's the part that you're failing to see.

Petey, Quinn, Hoglander, Podkolzin....all drafted within the past 5 years and on the roster. I'm not sure it's fair to pin "failed for years" on a team that's breaking in many players. 

The composition is new players being worked in to the team along with a supporting cast. 

The current roster is much different than the one just a couple of years ago....so it's really not relevant to pin this roster with past failures.

I mean, this roster here and now or this one (from 3 years ago):
image.png

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Jumping on the bandwagon here. Agree this is overdue. It seems to be part  of a general movement to bring the Canucks' operation "up to date" instead of being completely old school. JR is updating scouting, analytics, and now conditioning -- areas where the Canucks underperformed in the Benning era. (Some people will push back on the scouting criticism but, as been often pointed out, the Canucks have some excellent high first round picks but scouts really show their value in identifying lower round picks who do well and the Canucks have not been good on that dimension.)

In Pittsburgh JR was known as a guy who stayed on top of new developments, especially analytics. And there has been a lot of progress in these areas so having an "old school" GM like Benning was increasingly costly. 

JR's move to upgrade the arena falls into the same general category.

Still don't understand why  Aqua took so long to recognize that the the franchise needed a housecleaning.

I was also kind of expecting changes in Abby but JR seems to have given the Abby staff a preliminary vote of confidence. 

Edited by JamesB
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Jon Sanderson is going to be a very unpopular dismissal among players I think.

Takahashi being canned is well deserved IMO. The strength and conditioning of our players has been a big issue over the years. I feel he wasn’t identifying players weaknesses properly. Players like Boeser needed to work on foot speed and conditioning and came in bulked up but slow and out of shape.

100% agree on Takahasi. He seemed like a Baumgartner type guy here. Everyone just loved the guy and never seemed to question his results ... in the organization I mean.  He seemed super dedicated but as you say our strength and conditioning seemed to be a weakness in comparison to other teams. I never recalled our teams overpowering other teams, being ultra fit, or show much in terms of improvement throughout the season in the last decade.

And oh yeah the injuries were atrocious. Maybe his methods are out of date. Either way.

Upwards and onwards.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

"The current team" isn't the same over the years...that's the part that you're failing to see.

Petey, Quinn, Hoglander, Podkolzin....all drafted within the past 5 years and on the roster. I'm not sure it's fair to pin "failed for years" on a team that's breaking in many players. 

The composition is new players being worked in to the team along with a supporting cast. 

The current roster is much different than the one just a couple of years ago....so it's really not relevant to pin this roster with past failures.

I mean, this roster here and now or this one (from 3 years ago):
image.png

Everyone acknowledges pro hockey is a business yet they seem to accept a company that consistently underperformed and sometimes flat out fails.  In the real world businesses need results to succeed. The Canucks have had a revolving door of players, coaches and staff for years but have always iced a team that at best might make the playoffs.  Some are satisfied with the hope and promise of rhat model.  JR obviously is not and is cutting out anything he sees as part of the rot that led to long term mediocrity.  It is long overdue.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, DIBdaQUIB said:

Everyone acknowledges pro hockey is a business yet they seem to accept a company that consistently underperformed and sometimes flat out fails.  In the real world businesses need results to succeed. The Canucks have had a revolving door of players, coaches and staff for years but have always iced a team that at best might make the playoffs.  Some are satisfied with the hope and promise of rhat model.  JR obviously is not and is cutting out anything he sees as part of the rot that led to long term mediocrity.  It is long overdue.  

So Benning and his management all get the axe.  Five Scouts get the axe.  These ones today from the performance get the axe.  But Ron Delorme stays?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Great to see the house cleaning of this stale oprganization progress in Ernest into the deepest cracks and crevices of this organization.  Can't wait for the clean-up to start within the player ranks, which has been long overdue.    Based on what we've heard and seen from JR so far, this off-season could turn into the beginning of a bloodbath in the players ranks - which I'm almost expecting at this point, as the current team composition has completely FAILED for years finishing in the bottom of the league and out of the playoffs year after year!  So there is absolutely NO WAY that this current roster should be kept "as is" as it has not worked out in years and time to move on.     

There are obviously a few good pieces to keep and we all know who they are, but there are some very, very bad contracts and poorly performing players that MUST be EJECTED as soon as it can be done within reason.   I suspect "The Purge" will take the better part of 2 to 3 years to clean up the Jim Benning Mess. So we'll need to be patient!

So thrilled to finally see a major housecleaning of this franchise. Long overdue!  

35 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Petey, Quinn, Hoglander, Podkolzin....all drafted within the past 5 years and on the roster. I'm not sure it's fair to pin "failed for years" on a team that's breaking in many players. The composition is new players being worked in to the team along with a supporting cast. 

The current roster is much different than the one just a couple of years ago....so it's really not relevant to pin this roster with past failures.  I mean, this roster here and now or this one (from 3 years ago):   

Of course I'm well aware of that but thanks for pointing it out again!. I'm refering to "the mix" of players we have on this team.    IMO, JB put together a team of incompatible players.    How many times have we all said (maybe you and I included) that "so & so needs a better partner on defense", or "so & so needs a better winger on his line".   That is the issue on this team and what JR is messaging when says things like "we need to get puck moving defencemen to get out of our zone quicker".   What he is saying is that we have forwards plugged up on the offensive side of the rink waiting for a defenceman to do his job" and they are not working in harmony   Ditto for backchecking, forechecking, PK.PP and all the other shortfalls that JR pointed out (which is a long laundry list of issues we all know too well as fans). 

Some of the players on our team have specific attributes in the way they play that on their own may be of value only in concert with other types of players.  If you've ever coached a hockey team (and I have for almost 20 years) or any other "team sport,  you'll know there are certain players that are completely incompatible with other players and that is what I see on this team.    Some of the players we have fit well and compliment each others linemates, but quite a few don't and we have a number of different "styles" (for lack of a better term) on some lines with a few players seemingly not fitting in well with anyone or meeting the expectations of the team.   Those are the players that need to go.  

JB may have picked up some players that look good on their own but there a number of them that have not worked out wherever we put them - or- they underperformed based on cost and did not provide the value.   

Edited by RU SERIOUS

30 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Jumping on the bandwagon here. Agree this is overdue. It seems to be part  of a general movement to bring the Canucks' operation "up to date" instead of being completely old school. JR is updating scouting, analytics, and now conditioning -- areas where the Canucks underperformed in the Benning era. (Some people will push back on the scouting criticism but, as been often pointed out, the Canucks have some excellent high first round picks but scouts really show their value in identifying lower round picks who do well and the Canucks have not been good on that dimension.)

In Pittsburgh JR was known as a guy who stayed on top of new developments, especially analytics. And there has been a lot of progress in these areas so having an "old school" GM like Benning was increasingly costly. 

JR's move to upgrade the arena falls into the same general category.

Still don't understand why  Aqua took so long to recognize that the the franchise needed a housecleaning.

I was also kind of expecting changes in Abby but JR seems to have given the Abby staff a preliminary vote of confidence. 

Great summary and yes, getting rid of the GM, Coach, Asst Coaches, Trainers, Scouts and a few inside staff  was needed as we're well into the beginning of the second decade since we had any tangible results.   As for why Aqua-lini did not do this sooner (especially after resigning JB & TG after last years fiasco !!!!!!!) , we'll never really know, but it was obvious that a complete tear-down of this organization was needed as we've had little success of any type on this team for over a decade.    Absolutely nothing to lose at this point as we can't even get out of the bottom of league every year. 

The JB experiment FAILED miserably and glad JR has begun a purge of this entire STALE organization!   Long overdue!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Access to Albertan beef and milk... :ph34r:

I kid, I kid... 

...............Don't forget Vitamin "D"  (Sunshine) which is abundant there !  It makes a difference - as we all can appreciate.

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I hope they really pump money in the training facilities and go out and get the best strength and conditioning coaches, dieticians, and trainers that money can buy.

The idea should be to transform the player development side so that we’re a leader in that department not a laggard. Leave no stone unturned.

......talking about Laggards & Stones, do you think they'll even try to transform BB, or is he "all but gone" at this point?

image.jpeg.82aa2438c589529be673e51a8af79b04.jpegShrek Prince Charming Hair Flip GIFs | Tenor

This is what I didn't understand about Gillis. He was ok with hiring sleep doctors. But how about the regular doctors, trainers, physio, etc? A lot of injuries were either mis-diagnosed or not treated properly. 

Alec Martinez said that part of the reason he signed with Vegas was they had a first rate medical staff. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915

Roger finally gets fired eh? 

I wonder where we stack up in terms of man games lost to injury. 

We've had perrenial injured guys like Salo, Tanev. 

I wonder if we start seeing a healthier team. I am curious how much a good strength and conditioning coach makes an impact. I guess we'll find out. 

• Cheers 2