The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Bruce Boudreau will return as Canucks head coach next season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Nice to know we’ll have a smooth training camp and start to the season rather than the debacle that Green put on, with his stupid bag skates, and fiddling with lineup right up until our last preseason game, ensuring no gelling our consistency took place.

Like everyone else, I am relieved Bruce is coming back. I am sure that makes the players happy as well. 

Agree with @Slegr that I expect the Canucks to be ready to play out of the gate this season.  

I wonder what the "details" were that BB had to discuss with Alvin and JR. My guess (and it is just a guess) is that it had something to with his coaching staff and how much of a free hand he would have in selecting the staff. 

I also wonder how the difference in philosophy between JR and BB will work out.  JR favours a much "structured" (i.e. more defensive) approach whereas BB is noted for the more aggressive "quick up" style. I have no idea who is right and both guys have had a lot of success in  the NHL. 

It depends partly on personnel. If you have a great goalie it is not a bad idea to allow more chances at both ends (the BB approach) as your goalie can probably outplay the other guy.  

But, if your D have trouble with zone exits (as the Canuck D does,  except for Hughes) then you want more structure.

One solution is to have D's who better at making a first  pass. (It would be great to have Tanev now, who makes excellent first passes and is excellent with zone exits. Don't know how Benning thought guys like Hamonic or Poolman could replace Tanev.). I expect that the Canucks will try to trade Myers and replace him with a guy who is better with zone exits and who would be a better partner for OEL, allowing OEL to get into the offence more.

I like Hunt and Burroughs but they not really NHL quality D-men. Having Rathbone should help. And I love Schenn, but he should probably be on the 3rd  pairing. I could see him with Rathbone, although he did well with Hughes and with OEL. Not sure exactly where Dermott fits.  He is pretty good but I see him competing with Rathbone for the left side of the 3rd pairing. (But you always need at  least 8 good D-men over the season given injuries, so they can both be part of the mix. And Dermott can play the right side, although there is an advantage in having D-men on their natural side. That is especially true for guys who often carry the puck  out of the their own end, so it is more important for Hughes, Rathbone and OEL.)

2 hours ago, -DLC- said:

DAMN RIGHT!!!

For a team that's had to ride some stormy seas lately with some upheavals, this is a great move in stabilizing things and allowing them to continue to move forward.

This also gives me hope about Miller staying...I think he's Bruce's guy.

And don't they all look like total bosses in those uniforms?   Yes they do.    Next up Miller.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

What, is Lammikko Swedish? That seems like one of those reserved Swedish kind of responses...  

regards,  G.

Edited by Gollumpus

1 minute ago, Gollumpus said:

What, is Lammikko Swedish? That seems like one of those reserved Swedish kind of responses...  

regards,  G.

Finnish formally neutral response. ;) Now looking at joining NATO. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, grumpyone said:

good news on this Friday the 13th. 

The only thing that'll make this a perfect weekend is for the Leafs and Oilers to BOTH lose on Saturaday night. 

Thank you for posting , I ( almost ) feel bad to post that. But yes , Sad urday night. Would make it a great weekend 

3 hours ago, Heretic said:

I love what Rutherford said!

"The players that start not listening to him will be gone before him."

https://www.tsn.ca/bruce-boudreau-vancouver-canucks-head-coach-1.1799167

Yes.... this was a telling line... I loved that one. 
Rutherford made sure everyones aware there's a new sheriff in town, and a start to this season like last won't be tolerated. 

• Cheers 2