The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PROPOSAL] JT Miller to Vegas Golden Knights

They're actually a legitimate landing spot for him if he makes it to UFA. Pacioretty's 7M expires at the end of the 22-23 season and he'll be 35 years old. Miller expires that year too, and Vegas has a history of "ooo shiny". 

I'm not sold on them as a trade partner though, they've traded away much of their higher end trade assets. 

As great as it would be to steal a #3 C in Roy and a top-4 LD in Hague, like someone else said they can't afford JT via a trade.

We might as well offer-sheet one of them (we don't even need to pay them that much but [short of trading away their 1st and Dadonov] they already can't re-sign either of them).    

Would jump on this deal like the proverbial, Fat kid on a smartie!

Feel it addresses many shortcomings, simultaneously..as well, straightens out that stupid 2017 lind/Hague gaffe!

If necc, put  Quinn on rhd..maybe with the big monster Hague?

PO puck keeps proving you need some size.

Nice suggestion, EP

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

They're actually a legitimate landing spot for him if he makes it to UFA. Pacioretty's 7M expires at the end of the 22-23 season and he'll be 35 years old. Miller expires that year too, and Vegas has a history of "ooo shiny". 

I'm not sold on them as a trade partner though, they've traded away much of their higher end trade assets. 

I do like the idea of poaching 1 or more of Roy, Hague or Whitecloud from them tho. 

We could offer a 2024 2nd for Hague or Roy (basically a veiled offer sheet threat) or maybe they would move Whitecloud for Dermott and a later round pick to save $. 

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I do like the idea of poaching 1 or more of Roy, Hague or Whitecloud from them tho. 

We could offer a 2024 2nd for Hague or Roy (basically a veiled offer sheet threat) or maybe they would move Whitecloud for Dermott and a later round pick to save $. 

If we can free up cap space I think we could come out ahead while helping them alleviate their cap headache, I just don't see them as a trade partner regarding Miller. 

We've done that before with Schmidt, I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen again. 

• Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Would jump on this deal like the proverbial, Fat kid on a smartie!

Feel it addresses many shortcomings, simultaneously..as well, straightens out that stupid 2017 lind/Hague gaffe!

If necc, put  Quinn on rhd..maybe with the big monster Hague?

PO puck keeps proving you need some size.

Nice suggestion, EP

Thanks Nux.  Didn't you suggest OEL to the Islanders for Mayfield?

Hughes       Mayfield

Hague         Myers

Rathbone    Schenn

All of a sudden we go from one of the smaller D's in the league to one of the biggest...

Hague  Myers will be a handful for any team.  And Hague  Mayfield will be a top penalty killing unit in the NHL.  Hughes runs PP1, Rathbone runs PP2...

• Cheers 2

46 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

As great as it would be to steal a #3 C in Roy and a top-4 LD in Hague, like someone else said they can't afford JT via a trade.

We might as well offer-sheet one of them (we don't even need to pay them that much but [short of trading away their 1st and Dadonov] they already can't re-sign either of them).    

We could retain to help them out and ask for another draft pick in the trade as compensation for retaining...

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Thanks Nux.  Didn't you suggest OEL to the Islanders for Mayfield?

Hughes       Mayfield

Hague         Myers

Rathbone    Schenn

All of a sudden we go from one of the smaller D's in the league to one of the biggest...

Hague  Myers will be a handful for any team.  And Hague  Mayfield will be a top penalty killing unit in the NHL.  Hughes runs PP1, Rathbone runs PP2...

No, don't think OEL will be easy to move. Mentioned recently, he's the price we pay for consolidating our cap-debts

We prob gotta ride that one out for another 1-3 yrs?..

Posted (edited)

I'm open to this deal, but not with Hoglander in it. No reason for us to dump a young prospect in a trade to help Vegas. 

They can have Miller and we can take back Dadonov (for the cap dump) along with either those 2 prospects and no 1st (maybe a 2nd), but leave Hog out of it and if they want we can retain a million or two on JT's contract (or they can take another player). Maybe at the deadline we can also flip Dadonov for a 2nd/3rd round pick if he has a decent season (or we'll keep him if we are in a playoff spot). 

Edited by Bobby James
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

If we can free up cap space I think we could come out ahead while helping them alleviate their cap headache, I just don't see them as a trade partner regarding Miller. 

We've done that before with Schmidt, I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen again. 

yeah I don't see Miller as an offseason move to Vegas. If we suck again this year tho, maybe 50% retained at the TDL? Even then, this isn't much I'd want out of their prospect pipeline, and their 1st would be a late one. So likely better options elsewhere even then.

Roy for a 2nd tho... now that does help us. 

11 minutes ago, JM_ said:

yeah I don't see Miller as an offseason move to Vegas. If we suck again this year tho, maybe 50% retained at the TDL? Even then, this isn't much I'd want out of their prospect pipeline, and their 1st would be a late one. So likely better options elsewhere even then.

Roy for a 2nd tho... now that does help us. 

I still don't think he's here to start the season, but that's something else

Yeah, Vegas doesn't have much in the way of prospects and their first is probably a lower one next season as I imagine they'll bounce back in the standings if they can be even a little bit healthier than they were this season 

I think having Eichel to start the season will help, he also played the final six weeks of the season with a broken thumb 

If we make a deal with Vegas I think it'd have to involve someone from their roster 

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I still don't think he's here to start the season, but that's something else

Yeah, Vegas doesn't have much in the way of prospects and their first is probably a lower one next season as I imagine they'll bounce back in the standings if they can be even a little bit healthier than they were this season 

I think having Eichel to start the season will help, he also played the final six weeks of the season with a broken thumb 

If we make a deal with Vegas I think it'd have to involve someone from their roster 

Eichel will be, in Alfian terminology, a busteroo imo. He's not a leader, he's not a great team mate. 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Eichel will be, in Alfian terminology, a busteroo imo. He's not a leader, he's not a great team mate. 

He doesn't have to be a leader, he just needs to produce. A bustaroo? Nah, he's too talented for that. I think he'll bounce back after a healthy summer of training.

Jesse Granger lists Roy and Hague among the players Vegas hopes to keep - both RFAs and offer-sheet eligible.  He thinks they will do their possible to move cap space elsewhere so they can retain them.

The players who are most likely gone according to him are Dadonov, Janmark and Brossoit.  Others like Lehner, Pacioretty, Karlsson or Martinez could also be cap casualties although he thinks it's more likely they are retained.