The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PROPOSAL] OEL To Detroit Red Wings

Detroit has $36 million in cap space.  They are obviously rebuilding and want younger players.  However, they do need some quality veteran presence to get them through this rebuild.  OEL makes sense for them as they are weak at LHD and they need a steady reliable partner for Seider so he can become a Norris trophy winner.

Detroit has alot of history with Swedish players.  OEL should fit right in.  We can also send them Höglander so he can increase their Swedish quota.  The biggest question is what do we get in return?  Well, not much.  Dumping OEL's salary would be huge, and losing Höglander in the process is already enough for Vancouver in this trade.  But I'm assuming Detroit may want more than just Höglander.  If we are trading Miller and acquiring assets than we could move a draft pick their way as well.  Detroit doesn't really have any bad contracts, so nothing for them to dump our way. 

Also, their rebuild will take several years so the 5 years left on OEL's contract shouldn't be a problem as they won't be competing until that contract is up.  

Just a thought here to free up cap space.  OEL brings alot to the table.  So keeping him around for the next 5 years is still a real possibility, especially if Miller is moved.  But I am sure that JR/PA are looking at all of their options right now to free up cap space and acquire the assets they need to get this team over the hump.

Edited by Elias Pettersson

I think it's possible, but does trading OEL mean they're keeping Myers?  What would the return be?

Hughes - Marino/Severson

Dermott - Myers

Rathbone - Schenn

Poolman

Burroughs

If VAN were to also trade with PIT or NJ  (Garland+?)

Zero chance Yzerman takes on a contract like OEL's unless it's for LTIR purposes when they are against the cap or whatever.

GM's like Jim Benning make dumb trades like this; the best GM In the league wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Best to look at a team that has an idiotic, desperate GM. Perhaps Philly.

Edited by kanucks25

2 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Zero chance Yzerman takes on a contract like OEL's unless it's for LTIR purposes when they are against the cap or whatever.

GM's like Jim Benning make dumb trades like this; the best GM In the league wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Teams up to the cap want to avoid LTIR as it carves into their cap space, creates bonus overages and limits roster flexibility.  It's why Brisebois traded Callahan's 5.8M LTIR contract to take back Condon who he buried in the minors despite having a residual cap hit of over 1.3M on the books - ie better to have that dead cap than have Callahan's LTIR contract.   Vancouver could have covered Halak's bonus this season if they weren't in LTIR - instead of banking unused cap space they had to forfeit it.

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Teams up to the cap want to avoid LTIR as it carves into their cap space, creates bonus overages and limits roster flexibility.  It's why Brisebois traded Callahan's 5.8M LTIR contract to take back Condon who he buried in the minors despite having a residual cap hit of over 1.3M on the books - ie better to have that dead cap than have Callahan's LTIR contract.   Vancouver could have covered Halak's bonus this season if they weren't in LTIR - instead of banking unused cap space they had to forfeit it.

They also acquired Seabrook's contract.

I know that was to get rid of Johnson's contract, but still.

That said, I don't profess to know the details regarding LTIR and the CBA.

My point more was that Yzerman doesn't not even consider this for a second, at least when it comes making his roster better.

Edited by kanucks25

22 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

They also acquired Seabrook's contract.

I know that was to get rid of Johnson's contract, but still.

That said, I don't profess to know the details regarding LTIR and the CBA.

My point more was that Yzerman doesn't not even consider this for a second, at least when it comes making his roster better.

I don't see Detroit adding OEL either.   

They had no choice and would have certainly preferred not to - Seabrook was part of the cost to move Johnson. That contract was a negative going the Tampa way but they had to find a taker for Johnson to clear his 5M cap.  Operating in LTIR is a negative as unused cap space can't be banked and teams can hardly ever maximise their relief - Vancouver lost 300K right off the bat by going into LTIR and their regular roster could never exceed 81.2M instead of the 81.5M if they weren't forced in LTIR.  There were days where they had over 4M in recall cap space but it couldn't be banked and got forfeited.

Edited by mll

45 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Detroit doesn't have to worry about using up any LTIR.  They are not even at the cap floor as of right now.  

13 minutes ago, HKSR said:

To DET:

OEL

Hoglander

To VAN:

Olli Juolevi

:P

I don’t think you’re too far off.

I do think we will be trading Hogs and Rathbone this summer as sweetener to dump contracts.  Not sure if there’s enough “Sweet ‘n Low” to dumperoo OEL though.  I was thinking Poolman and Dickinson.  

Great to see a novel idea around here, but I'm perfectly happy personally to keep OEL to anchor the 2nd pairing honestly.
IF he has that Swedish longevity (since his game is more based on skill than physicality) he could still be at least serviceable toward the end of his deal.  At that point even if he's not scoring much, having that shutdown presence (as he's been so far) would still be beneficial (and the benefits of keeping him likely outweigh the cost to move him).  I might rather try to move Myers/ Poolman/ Dickinson.

Edited by Phil_314
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Detroit has $36 million in cap space.  They are obviously rebuilding and want younger players.  However, they do need some quality veteran presence to get them through this rebuild.  OEL makes sense for them as they are weak at LHD and they need a steady reliable partner for Seider so he can become a Norris trophy winner.

Detroit has alot of history with Swedish players.  OEL should fit right in.  We can also send them Höglander so he can increase their Swedish quota.  The biggest question is what do we get in return?  Well, not much.  Dumping OEL's salary would be huge, and losing Höglander in the process is already enough for Vancouver in this trade.  But I'm assuming Detroit may want more than just Höglander.  If we are trading Miller and acquiring assets than we could move a draft pick their way as well.  Detroit doesn't really have any bad contracts, so nothing for them to dump our way. 

Also, their rebuild will take several years so the 5 years left on OEL's contract shouldn't be a problem as they won't be competing until that contract is up.  

Just a thought here to free up cap space.  OEL brings alot to the table.  So keeping him around for the next 5 years is still a real possibility, especially if Miller is moved.  But I am sure that JR/PA are looking at all of their options right now to free up cap space and acquire the assets they need to get this team over the hump.

I don't think we're giving up OEL unless we're getting a return (very unlikely). He's our main minute man, plays in all situations. The cost of finding someone to replace him would be very expensive, so if we want to replace him, we need assets back. 

Seems pointless. We might save 1-1.5m/year, but it just feels pointless. 

8 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

I don't think we're giving up OEL unless we're getting a return (very unlikely). He's our main minute man, plays in all situations. The cost of finding someone to replace him would be very expensive, so if we want to replace him, we need assets back. 

Seems pointless. We might save 1-1.5m/year, but it just feels pointless. 

Hughes played 25+ min per game.  OEL was 22 min per game.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hughes played 25+ min per game.  OEL was 22 min per game.  

My bad. Still incredibly important. 
He's also our insurance if Hughes gets injured. Proved he can run powerplay1. I'd be pretty scared if Hughes went down and we had no OEL. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Never happen OEL would only maybe go to Boston? Do we remember his list 2 years ago Vancouver and Boston?

Vancouver should of worked Arizona harder..Should of never give 1st pick up? 

Vancouver trade 3 players for 1 season = 12 million== we give up 1st 10th overall 2021---2nd rounder 2022 -- 7th rounder 2023

OEL - Only will go to 2 teams ? 6 yrs X 7.2 million --- we get Garland added

Arizona is so lucky Vancouver made trade...

I do like OEL # 3 D MAN should have another good 4 yrs left... Just I don't think we had to give 2nd rounder we were taking big contract back...

• Cheers 1