The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PROPOSAL] OEL To Detroit Red Wings

1 hour ago, eeeeergh said:

My bad. Still incredibly important. 
He's also our insurance if Hughes gets injured. Proved he can run powerplay1. I'd be pretty scared if Hughes went down and we had no OEL. 

OEL is a very expensive insurance policy. I like OEL but if you have a chance to move that salary you take it. 

Rathbone is going to be a stud. He will be able to run a power play and hopefully can turn into a puck moving top 4 Dman in the next 2-3 years. 

• Vintage 1

OEL is 5 years younger than Edler - who is still playing well.

OEL has been good since he has been here.  He has 5 years left on his contract.

The most you could say is he might be over paid a mill or so.

He is not LE.

IMO  keep him and he's a great top 4 LD behind QH and will hardly start to decline by the time his contract is up.

I don't see any urgency to move him  - not to mention he has a NMC and by all accounts is popular in the room.

So I vote to keep him and look elsewhere for improvements.  I also think he will be better next year than last as he is now a Canuck for a year and knows what is expected of him. Guy is a good player. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Great to see a novel idea around here, but I'm perfectly happy personally to keep OEL to anchor the 2nd pairing honestly.
IF he has that Swedish longevity (since his game is more based on skill than physicality) he could still be at least serviceable toward the end of his deal.  At that point even if he's not scoring much, having that shutdown presence (as he's been so far) would still be beneficial (and the benefits of keeping him likely outweigh the cost to move him).  I might rather try to move Myers/ Poolman/ Dickinson.

OEL is STILL a legit top 4 D.  Poolman & Dickinson are at best depth guys.  You can get similar calibre players for virtually nothing at a significantly lower cap hits.  Doubt you’d get any interest in those two unless it involved garbage coming back the other way in terms of a cap dump which defeats the purpose of dealing that dead weight.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

OEL is a very expensive insurance policy. I like OEL but if you have a chance to move that salary you take it. 

Rathbone is going to be a stud. He will be able to run a power play and hopefully can turn into a puck moving top 4 Dman in the next 2-3 years. 

He is expensive but defensemen of his caliber start at an absolute minimum of 4.5m-5m/year. 

So maybe we can save 2m/year by moving him, but then we need to get that top-4 defenseman from somewhere, meaning a trade. I'm not sure who we move to get an top-4 defenseman without parting with significant assets. Rathbone is going to be great, but i also agree with your timeline, its going to take him a few years to get there. We're better off giving him time to grow into the role than forcing him into it. He's also quite small and will need to develop his defensive game. 

Grand scheme of things, 2m/year overpayment isn't the end of the world. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

OEL is 5 years younger than Edler - who is still playing well.

OEL has been good since he has been here.  He has 5 years left on his contract.

The most you could say is he might be over paid a mill or so.

He is not LE.

IMO  keep him and he's a great top 4 LD behind QH and will hardly start to decline by the time his contract is up.

I don't see any urgency to move him  - not to mention he has a NMC and by all accounts is popular in the room.

So I vote to keep him and look elsewhere for improvements.  I also think he will be better next year than last as he is now a Canuck for a year and knows what is expected of him. Guy is a good player. 

I think u pointed out the biggest reason why people want to dump OEL

Its LE/AR/JB trauma. 
12m of literal dead cap. 

OEL is definitely not the same as those. 

Right now, our worst dead-cap players are:
Jason Dickinson
Tucker Poolman

I wouldn't put Myers in that group, but he should definitely be moved for a stay at home defenseman who can do more for us by way of shot blocking/penalty kill, etc. 

3 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

My bad. Still incredibly important. 
He's also our insurance if Hughes gets injured. Proved he can run powerplay1. I'd be pretty scared if Hughes went down and we had no OEL. 

Yeah the more I think about it the more I think we should be keeping him. Unless Miller is going for a young LD. OEL is the exact sort of double up you want to throw at teams. If OEL didn't spend 75% of his time helping Myers exit the zone he'd be looking more like the stud he is. We saw a better representation the last third of the season. It usually takes guys a while to adapt but I bet he'll be very good next year. Hopefully with a new partner.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah the more I think about it the more I think we should be keeping him. Unless Miller is going for a young LD. OEL is the exact sort of double up you want to throw at teams. If OEL didn't spend 75% of his time helping Myers exit the zone he'd be looking more like the stud he is. We saw a better representation the last third of the season. It usually takes guys a while to adapt but I bet he'll be very good next year. Hopefully with a new partner.

100% agree. Was insane to see the impact he made when he wasn't saddled with clean up duty. 
What a waste of his talent to have him playing a shutdown role. 

• Cheers 1

I think the cost of moving a 7M+ contract is probably a 1st round pick. 

For me, OEL is playing 22+ minutes, top shutdown minutes, if given top PP minutes he can be a 40-50 point player so he's still a very decent defenceman. He's not worth his 7.2M cap but what is he worth?

A 20+ minute, top pairing shutdown and offensive defenceman who can score 40+ points is probably worth a good 6M. Under Bruce his numbers obviously look worse because Hughes is getting all the top minute powerplay time and Bruce is deploying OEL as more of a shutdown guy. Still as a shutdown defenceman he had 29 points last year - not bad.

That's not really all that bad.

Then age-wise, he's 30 now but we've seen defencemen playing into 35 quite comfortably and OEL doesn't play a particularly physical game so I think he'll still have 40-50 point quality for the next 3 years then steadily decline.

Does he have value if we retain 1.2M? That would obviously suck and hurt in the long-run, but a 20+ minute, top-4 defenceman scoring 40 points and shutting down opponent's top lines is a bargain at 6M nowadays.

I understand all the hate because of the price-tag, but OEL has a LOT of value. He's not like Loui, who had a cap hit of 6M and played like an 800K player. OEL has a cap hit of 7.2M and is playing like a 5M player under Boudreau, but has potential to play like a 6M player if he's the top guy on a team. 

Sadly though I don't think other GMs/fans would see this value and he's therefore worth more to us keeping him than trading him. Otherwise it'd be simple - we'd do something like OEL for Nylander straight up.

Wish they would put Rathbone to the right side with OEL.  
‘Rathbone would create a lot of shots for him and he gets them on net pretty well.

‘With Quinn and presumably Rathbone on left, matchup/shutdown role ends up with OEL by default. 

Edited by DrJockitch

15 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

I think u pointed out the biggest reason why people want to dump OEL

Its LE/AR/JB trauma. 
12m of literal dead cap. 

OEL is definitely not the same as those. 

Right now, our worst dead-cap players are:
Jason Dickinson
Tucker Poolman

I wouldn't put Myers in that group, but he should definitely be moved for a stay at home defenseman who can do more for us by way of shot blocking/penalty kill, etc. 

Lyubushkin.  Quite impressed by his play against Tampa.  Blocks a ton of shots and good mobility.

lol you just said detroit is not going to compete for pretty much the entirety of OEL's remaining contract.. therefore OEL wouldnt even waive to go to detroit so it's a non starter... OEL dictates if he wants to move and where he wants to move.. good luck "dumping" him to a lottery team.

1 hour ago, Johnny Torts said:

OEL is a top pairing defence man. Will be in our top 4 for a few more years. 

How much do those guys go for at your local Walmart? 

If we didn’t have OEL I’m pretty sure we would’ve been drafting Shane Wright this summer. 

You say that like it would be a bad thing

9 hours ago, HKSR said:

Lyubushkin.  Quite impressed by his play against Tampa.  Blocks a ton of shots and good mobility.

100% agree. Wild that toronto produced a defenseman who can actually play defence. Perfect example of not having to spend a ton to get a better partner for OEL. 

1 hour ago, King Loui said:

You say that like it would be a bad thing

Man.

Maybe he’s the next McDavid. 

Maybe he’s the next Yakupov. 

who tf knows.

Im just saying we’ve got a beauty in OEL for ATLEAST the next few years and armchair GM’s that only care about the JUNE portion of the hockey season are doggin on him. He’s a beaut. 

He’s a beaut. 

2 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

100% agree. Wild that toronto produced a defenseman who can actually play defence. Perfect example of not having to spend a ton to get a better partner for OEL. 

He was OEL's partner in Arizona.   Toronto traded for him at the TDL.