The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Vancouver - Detroit

Vancouver acquires: D Filip Hronek

Detroit acquires: F Conor Garland

I have a lot of reasoning behind this one but I’ve been thinking RHD acquisition options over for awhile and this one really caught my mind. Hronek is a trade candidate of the Red Wings right now and could really help the problem Rutherford talked about of our D being able to smoothly break out and get the puck out of our own zone. He has good feet and fluid skating, a bullet of a shot, vision, and is very very aggressive for his size. Takes **** from NO ONE. I want to hear some opinions about our RHD situation and about this idea. Cheers.

Edited by Underdog7
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I think the value is okay (Garland is the better player but RHD's come at a premium) but not sure if Hronek is what we need. He's not exactly a defense first guy.

Carlo didn't have the best year but he or a player like him would be the more suitable target.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Underdog7 said:

I want to hear some opinions about our RHD situation and about this idea. Cheers.

I don't really like the proposal wt Det because I'm not a fan of downgrading the teams overall skill level just to target a team need - we simply don't have the organizational depth to do a move like that imo, instead may I suggest looking at LA?  And may I suggest going big? When the dust finally settles there they'll realize they're going to need to add to their forward group to compete with the other PO teams in the west and they are deep with RHD.  Doughty, Roy, Durzi, Clarke, and Grans - they don't have room for them all and have their own team needs.  I'd go Miller for Clarke in a one-for-one straight up hockey trade.  I think the value is there for both clubs (unlike most CDC proposals which require us to rob the other team blind in order for it to be fair).

Edited by Fanuck
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Detroit drafted and developed Hronek and now he is playing to his potential.  Also, he's a RHD which are hard to find so I don't see Detroit trading him...

I think I agree w @Elias Pettersson, if Red Wings were to Hronek it may be for more than Garland cuz there's no rush to move him. Saying that, a top-6 RWer/top-6 RH player is definitely an organizational need for Detroit, so there could be a larger package built here. Plus Garland is locked up medium term, which is going to be hard for Detroit to attract in the UFA market until they're a contender.  I think generally scouts would see Hronek as having a high offensive ceiling on a decent team, he was in the top-5 scoring amongst Detroit players.

A random Detroit blogger posted this, to get a Detroit fan POV on this:

Based on the current market value of defensemen, Detroit could likely receive at least a 1st round pick and a top prospect for Hronek.  Not bad for a player who was origianlly drafted in the 2nd round.  In all likelihood, Yzerman might even get a 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd round pick, plus a prospect for Hronek.

https://octopusthrower.com/2022/03/17/discussion-should-trade-filip-hronek/

Not saying that^ is worth much salt, but Detroit is definitely in the position of power if they move Hronek, a la Chicago with Hagel.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, HKSR said:

I don't think Detroit does it.  Who else do they have as RHD other than Seider and Hronek?

Gustav Lindstrom is a young stud RHD plus Jordan Oesterle can play both sides easily. Plus they’re shopping Hronek right now.

Edited by Underdog7

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Detroit drafted and developed Hronek and now he is playing to his potential.  Also, he's a RHD which are hard to find so I don't see Detroit trading him...

It’s been reported they want to move him.

2 minutes ago, Underdog7 said:

Gustav Lindstrom and Jordan Oesterle can play both sides easily. Plus they’re shopping Hronek right now.

In a top 4 role?  Moving Hronek would be a big step back for their RHD depth.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2022 at 9:26 PM, HKSR said:

In a top 4 role?  Moving Hronek would be a big step back for their RHD depth.

Yes. Gustav Lindstrom is only 23 and has a 6’2 frame that he keeps growing into more and more. He just had a breakout season of a career-high 63 games played and 13 points while only being a -12 on a BRUTALLY discombobulated re-building Red Wings team. He was a 2nd Round Pick just outside the 1st Round at 38th overall in 2017 and for the last few years; scouts have talked all about his composure as a young D-man plus how he can pass very accurately while still making decisions quickly. He has top four if not top two upside. As I mentioned above, Detroit is shopping Hronek so I don’t think they’re worried about a step-back and probably have a plan. The Hronek being shopped report was basically just confirmed by them just signing Steven Kampfer.

6 hours ago, Underdog7 said:

Yes. Gustav Lindstrom is only 23 and has a 6’2 frame that he keeps growing into more and more. He just had a breakout season of a career-high 63 games played and 13 points while only being a -12 on a BRUTALLY discombobulated re-building Red Wings team. He was a 2nd Round Pick just outside the 1st Round at 38th overall in 2017 and for the last few years; scouts have talked all about his composure as a young D-man plus how he can pass very accurately while still making decisions quickly. He has top four if not top two upside. As I mentioned above, Detroit is shopping Hronek so I don’t think they’re worried about a step-back and probably have a plan. The Hronek being shopped report was basically just confirmed by them just signing Steven Kampfer.

Has he improved?  Yes.  Does it sound like he's ready for a top 4 role?  Doesn't sound like it.  He's a work in progress.  Moving Hronek would throw him into the deep end.

https://thehockeywriters.com/red-wings-lindstrom-underappreciated-2021-22/

On 5/24/2022 at 6:52 AM, HKSR said:

Has he improved?  Yes.  Does it sound like he's ready for a top 4 role?  Doesn't sound like it.  He's a work in progress.  Moving Hronek would throw him into the deep end.

https://thehockeywriters.com/red-wings-lindstrom-underappreciated-2021-22/

I don’t think you understand that Steve Yzerman of all GMs is publicly shopping Hronek. If they were worried about a step back why would a mastermind like Yzerman, move Hronek? Everything I noted about Lindstrom and you don’t think he’s ready for a top four role? That’s your opinion but it’s not reality. Overall as well.. Yzerman has said in press conferences that they will continue to slowly build through the draft and re-build the way they have been. Basically saying they’re willingly going to struggle and grow for a little while more. I don’t think they’re worried about being thrown in the “deep-end” for the time being. In 3-4 years they are going to be an absolute machine of a hockey team.

3 hours ago, Underdog7 said:

I don’t think you understand that Steve Yzerman of all GMs is publicly shopping Hronek. If they were worried about a step back why would a mastermind like Yzerman, move Hronek? Everything I noted about Lindstrom and you don’t think he’s ready for a top four role? That’s your opinion but it’s not reality. Overall as well.. Yzerman has said in press conferences that they will continue to slowly build through the draft and re-build the way they have been. Basically saying they’re willingly going to struggle and grow for a little while more. I don’t think they’re worried about being thrown in the “deep-end” for the time being. In 3-4 years they are going to be an absolute machine of a hockey team.

Where does it say Yzerman is actively shopping Hronek?  

On 5/26/2022 at 6:43 AM, HKSR said:

Where does it say Yzerman is actively shopping Hronek?  

There was reports a month ago being posted online (from sources close to the team) saying the Red Wings are wanting to move on from Hronek. 

• 10 months later...
On 6/3/2022 at 7:49 AM, HKSR said:

Any links?

You should have listened to me and helped me push Allvin to do this deal sooner. Now we gave up the

NYI 1st and our 2nd instead of Garland...

:lol:

Could contain: Person, Ice Hockey, Ice Hockey Stick, Rink, Skating, Sport, Advertisement, Face, Head, Helmet

Edited by Underdog7
  • Haha 1