The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Off season Moves.......Scorched Earth .........2nd Edition..........Would you? (Discussion/Proposal)

Ok, Jim Rutherford is going to make some moves.........

Here is my Moves...........

Trade #1...................OEL (1 Million retained) and Garland to LA.................. .........for ................Roy and a 2022-1st (19th OA.....maybe 24th OA)

Trade #2...................Myers and Boeser to Columbus..............................................for.................2022-1st (12 OA)

Trade #3...................Pearson and a 2024 2nd ........................................................for ................2022- 2nd

Both #1/#2 Trades give the trading team, solid 2nd and possibly 1st line players, but we get rid of  and estimated 27 Million in Cap, which IMO, truly opens up our Cap flexibility.................

Then we go after some UFA's...................

Forsberg...........8.00 million X 7 years

Klingberg..........8.00 million X 7 years

Kuzmenko........4 million X 7 years

Paul..................4 million X 5 years

Lybushkin.........2 million X 3 years

Edler.................1 million X 3 years

Forsberg ($8.000)...................Pettersson ($7.350)....................Miller ($5.250)                     20.600

Kuzmenko ($4.000)...................Horvat ($5.500)........................Podkolzin ($1.000)              10.500

Dickenson($2.500)......................Paul ($4.000).........................Hoglander ($1,000)                7.500

Highmore ($1.000).................Lammikko (1.000)........................Lockwood ($1.000)               3.000                 42.000

Chaisson ($1.000)

Hughes ($7.850)........................Roy (3.150)                                                             11.000

Edler ($1.000)............................Klingberg ($8.000)                                                    9.500

Rathbone ($1.000).....................Lybushkin ($2.000)                                                   1.850                 27.850

Dermott ($1.500)....................... Schenn ($0.850)

Poolman ($2.500) * Carded to Abbottsford (Savings of $1,050,000 Hopefully someone picks him up)

Demko ($5.000)                                                                                           5.762                   5.762                             75.612

Martin  ($0.762)

Bonus's..........................$1.500 * Gone in 2023-2024 Season

Retentions......................$1.000 (might have to retain more or take a bad contract back on the OEL deal)

Buyouts..........................#2.400 * Gone in 2023-2024 Season                                                                                                                     4.900                  $79.462

*Cap Space $3.038 Million for 2022-2023

* Buyouts over for 2023-2024 $2.400

** AdditionalCap for 2023-2024 $1.000

>That is $6.438 Million extra to share for Miller and Horvat, which will be more than enough for Miller and Horvat

>Dickenson comes off the books the year Pettersson needs a new contract, so add to Pettersson's existing contract and that is $10,000,000 for Petey

2022 NHL Entry Draft picks....................(with some Choices)

Columbus 2022-1st (12 OA)............................................Jonathon Lekkerimakki / Brad lambert / Marco Kasper / Rutger McGroarty (Centers)

Vancouver's 2022-1st (15th OA)......................................Pavel Mintyukov / Lian Bichsel (LHD's)

LA's 2022-1st (24th OA)...................................................Tristan Luneau / Ryan Chesley (RHD's)

Pearson's 2022-2nd ( 56th OA)........................................Noah Warren / Sam Rinzel (RHD's)

Vancouver's 2022-3rd ( 79th OA).....................................Tyler Brennan (Ranked 52 to 94 OA #1 goalie) / Topias Leinonen (ranked in the same area of the draft as Brennan)

If we walked away from the 2022-2023 Draft, it would such a win......................oh my God!

This is what I do when it rains! @JM_

Edited by J.I.A.H.N
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Apparently Forsberg and Klingberg are looking for about $9m each on long term deals in NSH and DAL.

In terms of take home pay that would be equivalent to salary of $10.6m each in VAN.

They may not get $9m from their current teams, but I don't think either will accept $8m in VAN either.

If I am doing ANYTHING it is Boeser plus pick 15 + whatever NJ wants for pick #2 because Slafkofvsky is an absolute BEAST and EXACTLY the kind of fast huge hard hitting winger that can pass and shoot this team needs

2 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Trade #1...................OEL (1 Million retained) and Garland to LA.................. .........for ................Roy and a 2022-1st (19th OA.....maybe 24th OA)

Trade #2...................Myers and Boeser to Columbus..............................................for.................2022-1st (12 OA)

Trade #3...................Pearson and a 2024 2nd ........................................................for ................2025- 2nd

Both #1/#2 Trades give the trading team, solid 2nd and possibly 1st line players, but we get rid of  and estimated 27 Million in Cap, which IMO, truly opens up our Cap flexibility.................

Forsberg ($8.000)...................Pettersson ($7.350)....................Miller ($5.250)                     20.600

Kuzmenko ($4.000)...................Horvat ($5.500)........................Podkolzin ($1.000)              10.500

Dickenson($2.500)......................Paul ($4.000).........................Hoglander ($1,000)                7.500

Highmore ($1.000).................Lammikko (1.000)........................Lockwood ($1.000)               3.000                 42.000

Chaisson ($1.000)

Hughes ($7.850)........................Roy (3.150)                                                             11.000

Edler ($1.000)............................Klingberg ($8.000)                                                    9.500

Rathbone ($1.000).....................Lybushkin ($2.000)                                                   1.850                 27.850

Poolman ($2.500) * Carded to Abbottsford (Savings of $1,050,000 Hopefully someone picks him up)

Demko ($5.000)                                                                                           5.762                   5.762                             75.612

Martin  ($0.762)

Retentions......................$1.000 (might have to retain more or take a bad contract back on the OEL deal)

Buyouts..........................#2.400 * Gone in 2023-2024 Season                                                                                                                     4.900                  $79.462

>That is $6.438 Million extra to share for Miller and Horvat, which will be more than enough for Miller and Horvat

>Dickenson comes off the books the year Pettersson needs a new contract, so add to Pettersson's existing contract and that is $10,000,000 for Petey

Columbus 2022-1st (12 OA)............................................Jonathon Lekkerimakki / Brad lambert / Marco Kasper / Rutger McGroarty (Centers)

Vancouver's 2022-1st (15th OA)......................................Pavel Mintyukov / Lian Bichsel (LHD's)

LA's 2022-1st (24th OA)...................................................Tristan Luneau / Ryan Chesley (RHD's)

Pearson's 2022-2nd ( 56th OA)........................................Noah Warren / Sam Rinzel (RHD's)

Vancouver's 2022-3rd ( 79th OA).....................................Tyler Brennan (Ranked 52 to 94 OA #1 goalie) / Topias Leinonen (ranked in the same area of the draft as Brennan)

If we walked away from the 2022-2023 Draft, it would such a win......................oh my God!

All yes except:
- dont trade OEL/retain. Do the deal just with Garland for the return. 
- don't sign klingberg
- don't sign edler

saves a bunch of $ and just as good of a defence imo. 

Defence looks like:
Hughes-Roy
OEL- Lybushkin
Rathbone-Dermott

• Cheers 1

32 - 15 -10 under Bruce.  2nd best in the Pacific. 

Bruce is coming back.  He says we have unfinished business.  He thinks this team is close.

Stop the crazy trade talk. It's like diarrhea.

The only goal is to make the playoffs next year .

In the playoffs you find out who you are as a team.

Then you decide the moves to make.

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Bruce is coming back.  He says we have unfinished business.  He thinks this team is close.

Well, I think not making the playoffs says a lot too............

So I get your point, and accept it to a point........but.....................

We have cap issues, and even if JR can tap dance his way out of this now

In a year, he will not, as he will have Horvat and Miller to resign

and absolutely no RHD for his disposal.......especially not high end defenseman

You have to look at the good teams, to really understand...........2 above average defenseman in their prime at the minimum

Tampa.......Hedman, Sergachev, McDonaugh and Cernak

Dallas........Hiskanen, Suter, and Klingberg

Rangers....Fox, Trouba, Lingren, Miller,  and young Schneider

Florida.......Ekblad, Weager, Montour, and Forsling

Calgary.....Tanev, Anderson, Hanifin, and Zadorov.......................etc, etc, etc

It is what is Edmonton's worry................great offense and no defense............other other thing is most of these Defensemen are decent size

IMO......JR sees this...............Cap space and not enough high end Dmen

I am sure it will not be how suggest, but the fact is, JR knows, and will make alterations, much greater than what you think.................

The last point I will make is the 1st round picks we pick up, as it fills the prospect/farm team, with decent 1st round prospects................again, maybe not as I suggest, but he sees down the road, that besides Miller, and Horvat, he will have to give Pettersson his raise and maybe Podkolzin if he takes the next step..................

All, when he is trying to build, so he will need those ELC's, which will fill in for any aging vets, that we can fill externally..................

Yes, it is a blur, and yes, there are alot of moving parts, but there always is........................

Edited by J.I.A.H.N
  • Vintage 2

7 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

lol we are like below .400 against playoff teams this year.. and below .450 since boudreau took over.. this team is close to maybe making the playoffs.. but no where close to competing with any of the playoff teams.

11 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Trade #3...................Pearson and a 2024 2nd ........................................................for ................2025- 2nd

Chaisson ($1.000)

Martin  ($0.762)

I like the top 6... I don't know about Edler tho. I'd be happy to see him back for one more year on a 1 mil deal, but thats a big step back from OEL.

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, Warhippy said:

If I am doing ANYTHING it is Boeser plus pick 15 + whatever NJ wants for pick #2 because Slafkofvsky is an absolute BEAST and EXACTLY the kind of fast huge hard hitting winger that can pass and shoot this team needs

I would be quite content with this move, but I'm personally taking David Jiricek at #2.

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

I like the top 6... I don't know about Edler tho. I'd be happy to see him back for one more year on a 1 mil deal, but thats a big step back from OEL.

I agree on the Edler point Jim.............I have a problem that we need to clear cap, which is why I traded him, and I want to keep the extra cap for later contracts.....aka

Miller, Pettersson and Horvat..........

It is a problem as you build a team, and that is to acquire  good players and still manage your long term cap, as well as signing free agents. Ultimately, that is why you need

to have those extra picks, as you absolutely need those ELC's coming in on a continuous basis.

It was Benning's down fall.  It is my "hope" that Rathbone develops quickly, so that Edler can slide down into that 3rd pairing. Incidentally, I thought Edler played well for LA

in the Playoffs, which is why I suggested him. I also have him on a extremely cap friendly deal, as I think he would love to come back and finish his career here. There is very little risk because he "technically" be sent down, if he does not work out. Much the same way Luongo was placed into management...........I see no difference

Anyways, it was a fun exercise, and it really does illustrate exactly how far we have to go, to be in that upper echelon. IMO, our true emergence happens when those 1st rounders, mature and come on to the team......clearing wingers is the easiest way to rebuild and not miss a beat.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I agree on the Edler point Jim.............I have a problem that we need to clear cap, which is why I traded him, and I want to keep the extra cap for later contracts.....aka

It is a problem as you build a team, and that is to acquire  good players and still manage your long term cap, as well as signing free agents. Ultimately, that is why you need

to have those extra picks, as you absolutely need those ELC's coming in on a continuous basis.

It was Benning's down fall.  It is my "hope" that Rathbone develops quickly, so that Edler can slide down into that 3rd pairing. Incidentally, I thought Edler played well for LA

in the Playoffs, which is why I suggested him. I also have him on a extremely cap friendly deal, as I think he would love to come back and finish his career here. There is very little risk because he "technically" be sent down, if he does not work out. Much the same way Luongo was placed into management...........I see no difference

Anyways, it was a fun exercise, and it really does illustrate exactly how far we have to go, to be in that upper echelon. IMO, our true emergence happens when those 1st rounders, mature and come on to the team......clearing wingers is the easiest way to rebuild and not miss a beat.

I wonder tho, is OEL-Rookie better than Edler-Klingberg? I'd lean OEL-RHD rookie at the moment. 

Its a tough one. So much depends on what JR/PA have learned about the market for our guys. Maybe the biggest market is for Myers? maybe no one wants Boeser at a fair trade? 

I really do like the idea of Edler back on the 3rd pair tho. If we end up moving Rathbone as part of some package thats something I'd be happy to see. Edler needs to retire as a Canuck.

• Vintage 1

59 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I wonder tho, is OEL-Rookie better than Edler-Klingberg? I'd lean OEL-RHD rookie at the moment. 

Its a tough one. So much depends on what JR/PA have learned about the market for our guys. Maybe the biggest market is for Myers? maybe no one wants Boeser at a fair trade? 

I really do like the idea of Edler back on the 3rd pair tho. If we end up moving Rathbone as part of some package thats something I'd be happy to see. Edler needs to retire as a Canuck.

Yeah, I am not sure where they get this "Rookie" for the RHD, that is actually better than Edler on the LHD. (Rookie=young) Maybe?

Also, I really like Rathbone game. I was reading where LA's Faber is ranked 40th non-nhl player, and Rathbone is ranked 46th.........pretty close together

and the are thinking Faber could be a #1/#2 type player........which indicates to me that Rathbone probably has a #2/#3 ceiling????

I mean greater mind than mine are trying to figure this out........but that is my take

To me a scorched earth is everyone older then EP gone.   And that includes Demko.   Why make it hard for us to end up at the bottom again ... this time go for the bottom.   Then don't spend to the cap and hire the middle of the row guys for 2-3 years and wait it out.    You can't have that much roster change and then spend it on premier UFAs - that's a JB max move (he only did it once with LE and look how pissed we were as a result!)....if we are going to do a scorched earth - then do it.   Trade ALL of Horvat, Miller, Brock, Demko, Myers, and Garland for futures.   Don't trade OEL... let him languish for a year or maybe two - then he might be begging for a trade. 

Personally i'm in a wait and see mode.   Want the same crew back more or less and let them do there thing.   Next off season a lot of cap comes off the books.   

Edited by IBatch

4 hours ago, JM_ said:

Edler on the bottom pairing would make us very dangerous on the left side.   To me Rathbone has a lot of promise as a PMD but not in this lineup - 

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Chaisson ($1.000)

Martin  ($0.762)

1. OEL is a tough sell for any team; big contract vs term, age, and lack of production being the issues. I can't see LA being willing to take it on for Garland. 

2. Could see Columbus having interest in Boeser. Not so sure about Myers though and high possibility of Columbus being on his no trade list.

3. Pearson has value now. Why wait until 2025 for a return?

As for signings; if scorched earth is the strategy, I see it more advantageous to go back to drafting and developing. look to take on, short-term cap-dumps and gain more prospects and picks. 

JR has stated his desire to see an annual contender in Vancouver. Building that takes seasons of pain and patience.

JB set this team back for a few seasons, trying to save his job. I hope JR and PA have the patience and effective strategic skills necessary to create their vision.

I, for one, would be eternally grateful. 

6 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Appreciate the work you put into this. Pretty solid forward lineup there but the defense may be a bit suspect still.

• Cheers 1