The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Rutherford on DFO Rundown Podcast

Rate this topic

MrCanuck94

from what I've noticed is that every time the Canucks get a sandpaper type of player the refs call penalties on them every time they touch someone. 

Burroughs( the first one), Torres, Mitchell( beautiful old school hip checks ), Meyers, Schenn( to a lesser degree). 

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Love Rutherford's analysis of the team and have a lot more faith in this management group in its foundational approach to what needs to be done, and its ability to recognize our weaknesses/strengths in a way that allows for a long term plan to develop.  One poster here put it correctly.  JB tended to shift with the moment, which led to him constructing a roster that was of pieces with no real thought to how it would all work together.  Basically, throwing sh#t at a wall, and hoping something would stick.  We aren't big, we aren't skilled, we aren't fast, we aren't defensive, and we aren't offensive.  Cool!  We lack team identity, and that is because, we don't have the players to establish one.  We are a hodge podge of ideas with no structure.

We need  to once again, be patient.  After nearly a decade, the patience is wearing thin.  We need to draft, develop, and astutely trade players, and can't get stuck in long term contracts for more value than the player is ever going to be worth, just to have that player because we love that player, in that he has big skates, can really cross check, and can't really play hockey to a degree that he'll move the needle.  We can't get stuck on size, when it really needs to be the ability to play the game, as the player is now, not how we'd dream that player to be, if only we could realize that dream thru that player.  Virtanen is going to be a playoff performing power forward.  Gudbranson and Myers are going to make it impossible to get to the net because of their size and grit, and general all around ability to project a force field around the crease.  At least it seems that the people involved in managing actually have the ability to accurately assess a player.

As for what we do moving forward, we do have some trade chips, we do have some contracts that are moveable despite what Alf seems to think of Pearson, most of which doesn't exactly lineup with the actual player, but probably more along the lines of him wishing we had traded him instead of signing him for more.  I could see Miller, Myers, Pearson, and one of either Garland/Boesser moving in the off-season, tho I wouldn't say all of those players are on the move.  I could also see us nibbling around the edges and not making trades till in season.  I'd love to trade Miller/Myers to the leafs for Marner :)  Myers to EDM after Calgary man handles them.  We have options, so not really getting that feeling that we are stuck with no ability to move other than slicing off a valuable asset that'll make the team worse instead of better.

Regardless, I actually look forward to seeing what the management group does this season with a sense of almost anticipation, rather than a sense of wariness.  It is a good time to be a fan, and remember, that when our window should be opening, a lot of other teams windows should be closing.  Take heart, and enjoy the next 6 weeks!

• Cheers 2

Basically hit everything I was saying, need more balance in the lineup and more strength down the RD. 

I think they will find a way to move OEL if he's willing to waive, most likely off to Boston which was his second choice.

Since DeBrusk is rumored to want out of Boston, maybe:

To Vancouver, DeBrusk

To Boston, OEL, 750k retained, 2022 4th round pick

47 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Pearson has less than zero value though.  So any trade would include retention or taking back a similar contract.  

I do think there are teams that would like to have him, if it doesn't cost much. Ottawa, e.g. could really use him. Penguins maybe? he only has a 7 team no trade list so there should be at least one option out there. 

For me its more about his term and he's a tad overpaid imo but its more the years than the $ for me. 

• Like 1

If we could move away from Myers 6 million, we could probably have a shot at Manson, PK Subban, Schultz out of washington.  There is Stecher that could be had on a reasonable contract.  None of those guys are going to cost a ton, and could provide value while getting us to a point where we could move them for assets as we have replacements in the system...

7 minutes ago, Solinar said:

If we could move away from Myers 6 million, we could probably have a shot at Manson, PK Subban, Schultz out of washington.  There is Stecher that could be had on a reasonable contract.  None of those guys are going to cost a ton, and could provide value while getting us to a point where we could move them for assets as we have replacements in the system...

Manson isn't going to be cheap (though I do like him).

I like Lyubushkin as a target to "replace" Myers personally. Shouldn't cost as much as he's less "well rounded" (offensive) compared to Myers. But he's a VERY solid defensive D.

Then if we can swing Miller for another younger right D...

Hughes, Trade

OEL, Lyubushkin

And then some mix of Rathbone, Dermott, Poolman, Schenn, Burroughs making up the bottom 4.

Edited by aGENT
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, mll said:

They aren't looking to move OEL per Drance/Dhaliwal.  They think he can be effective throughout his contract and might consider moving him to RD.

That ship has also sailed for Boston who has since acquired and extended Lindholm to complete their top-4.

To me, that means that OEL said NO when it came up in exit interview at the end of the season and that they have moved on from the idea as you can't force him. Everything that JR has said is about getting younger and creating cap space and unravelling contracts. To me, than means that they very much wanted to move OEL.

It also means that they will do everything they can to move Myers and replace him with a couple of RD who are younger.

Don't be surprised if the Canucks go after Zadorov and possibly someone like Kulak. 

Watch for Rathbone to sign a 1 year, 850k, one way, show me contract and Lockwood will probably push for 750k, one way, one year as well.

As much disrespect that Pearson gets on this board, he's a much better player than people give him credit for, and 3.25 million for a guy who can put up .5 points per game and make us harder to play against, I don't see him going anywhere.

I think they still have to make a decision on whether to resign or trade Miller, and I think JR's comments are generally indicating that in his interview.

Will be fun to see how they bring this team together for next season!

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, BPA said:

Love that sandpaper reference.

DeBrusk is not a hitter (60 hits).  Crouse is a hitter (180 hits).  I’d would love if the Canucks could trade for him.

I honestly don’t see Debrusk as a fit here. We already have young scoring forwards. What we need is complimentary depth and “sandpaper” to surround them with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johngould21 said:

Watching his game with the Flames makes me wonder where was that when he was here? Remind me, was Torts the coach or was it Willie? He's been a beast with the Flames, which you need in the long playoff runs. Schenn can't do it alone.

Do you mean in terms of defensive play or physicality? In terms of defensive coverage, it's all about the system and how he fits into it. He's the perfect player for a Sutter system. He has tons of support from the forwards on the breakouts allowing the defense to break out the puck with short passes and carry it up the ice. Their forwards are also almost always low in the dzone to help with coverage. Playing as a 5 man unit on the ice at all times - it's Playoff hockey.

In terms of physicality, you can't get 1 or 2 players to foster that pack mentality. Canucks management teams have been doing that for years and never seem to learn. You need a handful of them on your team. Flames have Lucic, Zadorov, Gudbranson, Tkachuk, Ritchie, Lewis. The bolts won 2 cups by having Maroon, Bogosian, Cernak, Goodrow, Schenn, Killorn and the likes. Florida has a ton of guys doing it. Canes and Blues are tough to battle with and are no pushovers. That's what brings the pack mentality - it's many guys standing up to transgressions while still being effective hockey players. We need more 3-4 more guys of that ilk on this team. They're not going to be analyticzz darlings but they're effective come crunch time as we've seen for a long time now. I hope this management team identifies this need and can address it effectively.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Bissurnette said:

Do you mean in terms of defensive play or physicality? In terms of defensive coverage, it's all about the system and how he fits into it. He's the perfect player for a Sutter system. He has tons of support from the forwards on the breakouts allowing the defense to break out the puck with short passes and carry it up the ice. Their forwards are also almost always low in the dzone to help with coverage. Playing as a 5 man unit on the ice at all times - it's Playoff hockey.

In terms of physicality, you can't get 1 or 2 players to foster that pack mentality. Canucks management teams have been doing that for years and never seem to learn. You need a handful of them on your team. Flames have Lucic, Zadorov, Gudbranson, Tkachuk, Ritchie, Lewis. The bolts won 2 cups by having Maroon, Bogosian, Cernak, Goodrow, Schenn, Killorn and the likes. Florida has a ton of guys doing it. Canes and Blues are tough to battle with and are no pushovers. That's what brings the pack mentality - it's many guys standing up to transgressions while still being effective hockey players. We need more 3-4 more guys of that ilk on this team. They're not going to be analyticzz darlings but they're effective come crunch time as we've seen for a long time now. I hope this management team identifies this need and can address it effectively.

Super post - nailed it.  Well done.

• Cheers 1