The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 Frank J. Selke Trophy finalists unveiled

Rate this topic

2022 Frank J. Selke Trophy  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Frank J. Selke Trophy?

• Aleksander Barkov
    • Patrice Bergeron
    • Elias Lindholm

This poll is closed to new votes

5 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Can somebody please explain to me how Bergeron is still a Selke finalist? I don't watch him play, does he deserve it every single year or is this merely a reputation style nomination? 

His faceoff win% in each of the last two years has been 62%.  His lowest faceoff win % in the last 12 years is 56.6%, which would be a career year for most centers.  He has been +20 or better in +/- in 9 of the last 12 seasons and is +254 for his career (3rd among all active players).  Guy is the real deal.

Lindholm should win, but this, like the Norris, is far too much based on past reputation. Barkov is a good option too, but he'll probably win because he scores more, which is silly.

2 hours ago, Nigerian said:

Is horvat not deserve a finalist spot? 

Not even close. Horvat's defensive game is gross overstated by some. He's average defensively and excellent at face-offs. Face-off acumen alone isn't enough to be a Selke finalist.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

His faceoff win% in each of the last two years has been 62%.  His lowest faceoff win % in the last 12 years is 56.6%, which would be a career year for most centers.  He has been +20 or better in +/- in 9 of the last 12 seasons and is +254 for his career (3rd among all active players).  Guy is the real deal.

+/- has always been a terrible stat, but is FO% really the bar we set for the Selke? What about shot blocks, takeaways, hits etc... even advanced stats and all.. would he still stand out in those categories? 

1 hour ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

+/- has always been a terrible stat, but is FO% really the bar we set for the Selke? What about shot blocks, takeaways, hits etc... even advanced stats and all.. would he still stand out in those categories? 

Short answer, yes.

I’d personally have Marner over Lindholm as a candidate, but the league doesn’t like recognizing wingers as defensive players, because they don’t take faceoffs.

Edited by shiznak
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I'm not saying those stats are the be all and end all but I thought it would be better than my saying "yeah he looks really good when he plays."

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Can somebody please explain to me how Bergeron is still a Selke finalist? I don't watch him play, does he deserve it every single year or is this merely a reputation style nomination? 

There have been some instances where Bergeron has been nominated based on reputation. But this year, he’s an absolute lock, and the underlying numbers back it up.

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Not even close. Horvat's defensive game is gross overstated by some. He's average defensively and excellent at face-offs. Face-off acumen alone isn't enough to be a Selke finalist.

Yeah, some Canucks make him out to be some Kesler-like defensive savant because he's excellent in the dot but it's simply not true. He's adequate defensively and most of the time he's not going to hurt you, but he's nowhere near a Selke caliber forward. 

38 minutes ago, JimothyTimothy said:

yes but my point is he's still a great player, he's not declining. How many players leave any game before they are slowing down? ie, the probability of him retiring is extremely low.

Sweeney addressed that possibility in today's presser (from Bruins twitter): "We do have to give him all the latitude in the world to make the best decision for he and his family...he’s given us indications that he’s not going to hold us up in that sense in terms of what we may have to do subsequent."