The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Other Teams Can Do Stuff Too!

Let's sit back and think for a second on what a team like Boston could do to facilitate a trade for JT Miller. 

Canucks want Carlo in the deal...

Boston goes out and signs UFA Manson to a $6M x 5 year deal.

Carlo now becomes expendable.

To VAN:

Carlo

Lysell

Debrusk

Haula - basically a cap dump, but could fill a role for the Canucks for a year

2nd Round Pick - recoup a missing 2nd round pick for this year

To BOS:

JT Miller

Hoglander

Podkozlin-Petey-Boeser

Garland-Bo-Debrusk

Pearson-Haula-Deslauriers

Highmore-Lamikko-Lockwood

Hughes-Carlo

OEL-Schenn

Dermott-Myers

If BOS is rebuilding, they're not going to want to give away Lysell.  Maybe you're onto something with Carlo, DeBrusk and a pick for Miller and Hogz?  

Other teams are going to be selling assets too, like PIT and TOR, for example. 

VAN's list includes, IMO:

Miller

Garland

Hoglander

Pearson

Dickinson (might not be possible)

Ekman-Larsson

Myers

Poolman (might not be possible)

They want to clear cap space, get younger and grittier/tougher/bigger

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

If BOS is rebuilding, they're not going to want to give away Lysell.  Maybe you're onto something with Carlo, DeBrusk and a pick for Miller and Hogz?  

Other teams are going to be selling assets too, like PIT and TOR, for example. 

VAN's list includes, IMO:

Miller

Garland

Hoglander

Pearson

Dickinson (might not be possible)

Ekman-Larsson

Myers

Poolman (might not be possible)

They want to clear cap space, get younger and grittier/tougher/bigger

Is that what BOS is doing?  I thought they were gonna retool and give it another few shots while Pasta, Marchand, et. al are still performing.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

To VAN:

Carlo

Lysell

Debrusk

To BOS:

JT Miller

Hoglander

Not sure why everyone wants to toss in Hoglander into trade proposals. 

Why not simplify this deal and just go with something like: 

- Miller to Boston for Carlo and Lysell (Or just a pick if that is too much for Boston to give up. We could also add something small to go with Miller to help make it work instead for Lysell) 

Debrusk isn't cheap and I just don't get why people want him so badly. I could definitely be missing something, but his play has not impressed me much so far in his career. 

1 minute ago, Bobby James said:

Not sure why everyone wants to toss in Hoglander into trade proposals. 

Why not simplify this deal and just go with something like: 

- Miller to Boston for Carlo and Lysell (Or just a pick if that is too much for Boston to give up. We could also add something small to go with Miller to help make it work instead for Lysell) 

Debrusk isn't cheap and I just don't get why people want him so badly. I could definitely be missing something, but his play has not impressed me much so far in his career. 

All cap related.  Keeping Debrusk, adding Miller, and adding Manson would be way too much cap going into Boston's roster.

25 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Is that what BOS is doing?  I thought they were gonna retool and give it another few shots while Pasta, Marchand, et. al are still performing.

I don't really know what their plan is, maybe rebuild isn't the right word. For some reason I thought they were an older team, with Bergeron set to leave. But it also makes sense, with Bergeron leaving, that opens up the spot for Miller and keeps them a contender with Pastrnak and Marchand.  

24 minutes ago, HKSR said:

All cap related.  Keeping Debrusk, adding Miller, and adding Manson would be way too much cap going into Boston's roster.

Yeah I wasn't accounting for Boston signing a new Defensemen in this deal. That will be up to them to figure out and may not even be needed for them.  

If Boston is trying to go for another run or two before their window is done then they need to give up something to make that happen. 

McAvoy is their #1 and Lindholm is #2 after that would likely be Carlo. So we are targeting their #3 D which seems reasonable. 

Also Boston has 3 other D all signed for 2 more season making over 3 mil (which makes up their middle D group). Then they have 2 guys signed for around a mil each (Clifton and Zboril) who could be their bottom pairing/#7. (All this is from Cap friendly) 

So they have an good amount of D signed already. Yes Carlo is young and good, but they are in a tough spot and by all accounts are trying to push for a couple more runs before their core is done. 

Miller is a great fit for that team and we can retain some of his salary too if it is really needed to finalize the deal - in return Boston has to give up something and Carlo is a fair price based on their current D and who they signed recently.

19 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I don't really know what their plan is, maybe rebuild isn't the right word. For some reason I thought they were an older team, with Bergeron set to leave. But it also makes sense, with Bergeron leaving, that opens up the spot for Miller and keeps them a contender with Pastrnak and Marchand.  

I see it that way too. Boston's plans will be very tied to what Bergeron does this off season. If he retires, then I can definitely see them interested in finding a veteran 1C to contend for the next 2-3 seasons. UFA and trade options would be: Miller, Schiefle, Kadri, Trocheck.

Kadri is old and probably wants a long term deal and BOS more likely try and compete for next 3 seasons then rebuild, so Kadri is not a great fit. Trocheck also looking for long term, is younger than Kadri, but not really a 1C on a contender. Schiefle has two years left on his contract, might be the best fit as he is under contract while they want to contend and comes off contract around the time they want to rebuild. Miller would be great but they will know he wants a big long term contract after this season and they likely want someone whose contract expires in 2-4 years.

If they are keen on Miller I could see this trade as a potential:

To VAN: Carlo + Debrusk + 2023 1st

To BOS: Miller + Myers (1.5m retained)

We could keep Debrusk or on-trade him for further assets (my preference).

Boston also offloads Reilly, who is a good depth LD but is expendable with Lindholm on their roster.

Edited by BigTramFan

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Let's sit back and think for a second on what a team like Boston could do to facilitate a trade for JT Miller. 

Canucks want Carlo in the deal...

Boston goes out and signs UFA Manson to a $6M x 5 year deal.

Carlo now becomes expendable.

To VAN:

Carlo

Lysell

Debrusk

To BOS:

JT Miller

Hoglander

Podkozlin-Petey-Boeser

Garland-Bo-Debrusk

Pearson-Haula-Deslauriers

Highmore-Lamikko-Lockwood

Hughes-Carlo

OEL-Schenn

Dermott-Myers

If we get Debrusk and Carlo, I doubt we get Lysell in the deal, but I would target a forward who I think could be a good addition to our bottom 6 in Johnny Beecher. Debrusk, Carlo, Beecher and a 2nd for Miller+. This could be a deal i could get behind. 

13 hours ago, HKSR said:

It's either that or re-set around Pasta with a couple years of tanking kind of like what LA did ... i think that they don't have enough on there team to do much other then go the SJ route - which is a re-tool like you suggest they could do (SJ re-tool actually worked...now they have to pay the piper lol)...

Edited by IBatch

17 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I don't think the Bruins have ever rebuilt,

They tank occasionally

and they retool

they tanked in 1997 but drafted Joe THornton 1st and Samsonov at #8 and rebounded the next season

That #8 pick was acquired by trading Glen Wesley in 1994 for 2 firsts

they later traded THornton

they traded Phil Kessel for 2 first

Lucic for a 1st + and Hamilton for a first and two 2nds

the Bruins are the masters of the retool

but are not rebuilders