The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Miller to LA

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

This one's probably been done before, but in the wake of tidbits from JR yesterday I'm proposing this anyway. If acquiring young center's and RD are the focus going forward LA's as good a trade partner as any. Kopitar's got two years left 10M but he'll also be 35 before next season begins, LA likely looks for a center sooner than later. 

Dustin Brown's almost 5.9M coming off the books more than covers Miller's cap hit next season, and any Miller extension would also be kicking in as Quick's 5.8M comes off the books as their contracts both expire after next season with at least some of Kopitar's 10M being freed up after the following season. It's worth noting that LA needs to re-up Kempe too but with some cap juggling they could probably make it work as they'll be getting 2.6M freed up from Jeff Carter, Edler's 3.5M expiring, Stecher's 1.7M expiring, and Maatta's 3.3M expiring. They also get 2.7M from Athanasiou who I don't expect them to retain. 

So, the actual deal.

LA gets: JT Miller, Travis Dermott.

Vancouver gets: Brandt Clarke, Alex Turcotte or Gabriel Vilardi, and LA's 19th overall pick. 

A high end RD prospect, a recent 1st round pick, and another 1st in this year's draft, and some cap space. We could potentially package 15th and 19th to move up or just take two cracks at grabbing good prospects. LA gets another center who could either play center or slot in on Kopitar or Danault's wing before eventually stepping into the Kopitar spot. They also get a D who can play either side to plug one of the holes one of Maatta, Edler, or Stecher would leave. 

That's it, that's the proposal!

Lastly, you don't have to agree with trading any particular player, but you don't get to tell me who I can and can't talk about moving out. If the concept of moving out x gets you all riled up you're welcome to leave and read/argue somewhere else. ;) 

So this one is good, its not all magic beans which is nice to see, at least a couple of beans are sprouting. 

Miller is an excellent replacement for Brown, no doubt. He'd be an excellent fit for them.

We would be making a division rival quite a bit stronger, so I would want what you've proposed to make it happen, but it would hurt us in the standings on some nights.

So I'd want Vilardi and Clarke for Miller. I don't think they give us the 1st, but maybe we can pry their 2nd?

• Cheers 1

Rob Blake announced a few days ago that Alex Turcotte sustained a concussion.

First one, but Alex Turcotte has been injured often in the past two seasons since turning pro and its been a tough development path for him.  Also not very keen on Gabe Vilardi, skating has been an issue since his draft year and it hasn't really improved since being drafted, and overall just doesn't play with enough pace.

I wonder if LA would be willing to part with Rasmus Kupari instead. I overall like the construction of that deal though, I would just sub in Kupari in for VIlardi and Turcotte.

3 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Rob Blake announced a few days ago that Alex Turcotte sustained a concussion.

First one, but Alex Turcotte has been injured often in the past two seasons since turning pro and its been a tough development path for him.  Also not very keen on Gabe Vilardi, skating has been an issue since his draft year and it hasn't really improved since being drafted, and overall just doesn't play with enough pace.

I wonder if LA would be willing to part with Rasmus Kupari instead. I overall like the construction of that deal though, I would just sub in Kupari in for VIlardi and Turcotte.

I'm with you there regarding Vilardi, he was the one guy I really didn't want to see us draft and he's done nothing to change my mind.  Also not comfortable with Clarke and his defensive play, which leaves an injury prone prospect as the key piece.  Pass.

• Cheers 1

If they offered Vilardi and the 1st, id take it. Miller is not going to net you the moon with one year remaining on his contract. 

Then draft: Korchinski/Mintyukov/Bichsel and Luneau/Chesley

Future line up:

Garland - Petey - Boeser

Hoglander - Horvat - Podz

???  - Vilardi -  ???

Hughes - Chesley/Luneau

Korchinski/Mintyukov/Bichsel  - OEL

Rathbone - ???

Edited by Bure_Pavel

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

This one's probably been done before, but in the wake of tidbits from JR yesterday I'm proposing this anyway. If acquiring young center's and RD are the focus going forward LA's as good a trade partner as any. Kopitar's got two years left 10M but he'll also be 35 before next season begins, LA likely looks for a center sooner than later. 

Dustin Brown's almost 5.9M coming off the books more than covers Miller's cap hit next season, and any Miller extension would also be kicking in as Quick's 5.8M comes off the books as their contracts both expire after next season with at least some of Kopitar's 10M being freed up after the following season. It's worth noting that LA needs to re-up Kempe too but with some cap juggling they could probably make it work as they'll be getting 2.6M freed up from Jeff Carter, Edler's 3.5M expiring, Stecher's 1.7M expiring, and Maatta's 3.3M expiring. They also get 2.7M from Athanasiou who I don't expect them to retain. 

So, the actual deal.

LA gets: JT Miller, Travis Dermott.

Vancouver gets: Brandt Clarke, Alex Turcotte or Gabriel Vilardi, and LA's 19th overall pick. 

A high end RD prospect, a recent 1st round pick, and another 1st in this year's draft, and some cap space. We could potentially package 15th and 19th to move up or just take two cracks at grabbing good prospects. LA gets another center who could either play center or slot in on Kopitar or Danault's wing before eventually stepping into the Kopitar spot. They also get a D who can play either side to plug one of the holes one of Maatta, Edler, or Stecher would leave. 

That's it, that's the proposal!

Lastly, you don't have to agree with trading any particular player, but you don't get to tell me who I can and can't talk about moving out. If the concept of moving out x gets you all riled up you're welcome to leave and read/argue somewhere else. ;) 

Like trade and LA Kings are loaded with young talent..LA need Miller 29..  Kopitar 34, quick 35, Daughty 33...Window is now...

Miller 29  -  2023 -3rd rounder ---- LA

Faber 21, 6'1 RD,   Valardi 23, 6'3- C,  Lemieux, 6'1, 215, W- RFA -2 million? 1st rounder 19th overall 2022----4th rounder 2023

Like Vilardi good size ready to take big step....Faber, bright future and Lemieux adds needed grit and toughness...

Turcotte will not be added or Clarke....

If we're trading Miller to a division rival, that team better be paying through the nose to acquire him.

It starts with Clarke or Durzi... a sprinkling of 1 or 2 of their young forwards... a 1st round pick... and a 2nd round pick.

Would we give up a couple former highly touted first round  players and a 19th overall for a guy that's almost certainly going to become an anchor on a long term deal?   Just playing the devils advocate here.   Blake isn't going to dump the guys his former cup winners cost him to trade just to go all in on a swan song one more time around Doughty/Quick and Kopitar.   Too bad Wilson is takin a reprieve, he's the guy that maybe would do something as foolish as that.   That's mostly what they got from their suffrage right there, by trading a lot of vets to make it work.    Don't want to be a debby downer, but Miller is going to get us a roster player in return (that is ho-hum) a middling to late first and one grade A prospect.  

Edited by IBatch

16 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If we're trading Miller to a division rival, that team better be paying through the nose to acquire him.

It starts with Clarke or Durzi... a sprinkling of 1 or 2 of their young forwards... a 1st round pick... and a 2nd round pick.

Isn't this paying through the nose as is though? 

52 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Well if your paying through the nose the trade won't happen... None of these teams are desperate?? Canucks also don't want to pay Miller a ridiculous amount like 7years X 8.5 million for 30 yr old next summer????? Miller is a 75-82 point guy and yes he scored 99 point this past season..Also only so many teams can take on a Miller contract not as simple as paying through the nose... Your not getting Clarke, Turcotte, 1st rounder and 2nd rounder from LA ? Serious big no..lol..lol...

NYR would not give you that either...

There are other forwards out there Foreberg, maybe Scheifele,

1 hour ago, JimothyTimothy said:

My preference if you're dealing with LA

Durzi - proven he can play at the NHL level

Grans - upside prospect

and their first. - high draft pick

LA is rumoured to be looking at shopping Durzi. With Doughty, Roy, and Spence - plus Clarke, Grans, and Faber in the system - they’re pretty set for right-side D.

I think this is a realistic trade idea for both sides. Doesn’t have a real high-end piece, but works towards solving our RD dilemma, and gives a big boost to the farm system.

Edited by D-Money

14 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Upvote for trading Miller because I think it needs to be done on or before draft day.  Iffy when a prospect gets a concussion though.

Which potential prospect we trade Miller for is concussed?  

4 hours ago, wildcam said:

Like trade and LA Kings are loaded with young talent..LA need Miller 29..  Kopitar 34, quick 35, Daughty 33...Window is now...

Miller 29  -  2023 -3rd rounder ---- LA

Faber 21, 6'1 RD,   Valardi 23, 6'3- C,  Lemieux, 6'1, 215, W- RFA -2 million? 1st rounder 19th overall 2022----4th rounder 2023

Like Vilardi good size ready to take big step....Faber, bright future and Lemieux adds needed grit and toughness...

Turcotte will not be added or Clarke....

I kinda agree, wildcam

Miller

for

Valardi, Faber and 2022-1st (probably 25th OA)

That would be alot! Keeping mind that Faber is still not signed (NCAA), but I would do it!

6 hours ago, HKSR said:

Yeah. The sentiment from me. If the Canucks are trading Miller to a divisional rival, no way they don’t get the &^@#ing moon coming back their way. 

L.A. better pay up big time, or else no way he goes there. 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I kinda agree, wildcam

Miller

for

Valardi, Faber and 2022-1st (probably 25th OA)

That would be alot! Keeping mind that Faber is still not signed (NCAA), but I would do it!

Faber still not signed? OOooh. I’d wait then. 

• Haha 1