The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Assistant coaches Scott Walker & Kyle Gustafson, and video coach Darryl Seward won't be back next season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

11 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I liked the Canuck alumni connection. Quality guy. Wish him well. 

650 saying another Scott could be coming to take Walker’s place - Scott Stevens.  They said Boudreau and Stevens worked together in Minny. 

• Cheers 3

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

650 saying another Scott could be coming to take Walker’s place - Scott Stevens.  They said Boudreau and Stevens worked together in Minny. 

pretty hard to have any issues with his resume. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

pretty hard to have any issues with his resume. 

As a player his resume is stellar. As a coach nothing really stands out.

He joined New Jersey the season after they made the finals and then his teams didn’t make the playoffs in his time there. Although that was with Deboer as head coach so that could be the reason.

In Minny with Boudreau he lasted one season after missing the playoffs. That could be a case of just a poor fit though.

That being said I think he should be a top target out of any coaches out there. Bowness should be target one if he’s willing to accept a associate role. If not John Stevens would be my second choice. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

As a player his resume is stellar. As a coach nothing really stands out.

He joined New Jersey the season after they made the finals and then his teams didn’t make the playoffs in his time there. Although that was with Deboer as head coach so that could be the reason.

In Minny with Boudreau he lasted one season after missing the playoffs. That could be a case of just a poor fit though.

That being said I think he should be a top target out of any coaches out there. Bowness should be target one if he’s willing to accept a associate role. If not John Stevens would be my second choice. 

How about Sami Salo?  He's done a pretty damn good job in Finland as an assistant, making the final 2 years in a row. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, tas said:

because rape accusations were handled incredibly poorly back then (and still now, mostly).

true. I just have a hard time with throwing folks away just based on accusations. 

His part of it was also dropped apparently and a grand jury only went ahead for the other 3 of them: https://www.nytimes.com/1990/06/30/sports/no-charges-for-3-capitals.html

I would imagine this hire would be a group decision with the new GM and AGMs. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, King Heffy said:

How about Sami Salo?  He's done a pretty damn good job in Finland as an assistant, making the final 2 years in a row. 

I get the feeling Sami's happy just being involved with coaching in his home country, I don't have him pegged as someone who's chomping at the bit to come back to the NHL

On 5/20/2022 at 12:43 PM, DeNiro said:

We should scoop up John Stevens!

Is he not behind Dallas’ stingy D systems?

He helped LA previously, too.

A SCup winner, he’s been credited as being the systems genius & strategic mind who preps his teams  to contain & counter-attack  opponents.  

I hope he’s adaptable & interested. He was one of my choices for head coach the year Gillis foolishly blundered & agreed to the Tortorella experiment. 

Edited by viking mama
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Ilunga said:

I know his career is defined by that hit on Lindros however that was a different time. 

He only received four minor elbowing penalties in his entire career.

I consider him to be one of the greatest physical playing defensman of all time. 

If he can come in and teach our defence to play a physical game like his within the current rules, I would be stoked.

They don't make them like that anymore, sadly.  Closest we have in the league is Parayko.  Loved his style, as well as Konstantinov in Detroit.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1