The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Assistant coaches Scott Walker & Kyle Gustafson, and video coach Darryl Seward won't be back next season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

On 5/20/2022 at 12:43 PM, DeNiro said:

We should scoop up John Stevens!

Is he not behind Dallas’ stingy D systems?

He should be at the top of any list. 

Great years with LA as well. 

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Report] Assistant coaches Scott Walker & Kyle Gustafson, and video coach Darryl Seward won't be back next season
6 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

So Shaw and King survived. Definitely the right calls there. 

I don't know about King, but I guess he's a nice dude. I've got nothing against him. I just don't think he's anyone special either.

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I don't know about King, but I guess he's a nice dude. I've got nothing against him. I just don't think he's anyone special either.

Maybe not, but he survived the Great Purge so he must be doing something right. I thought he was responsible for the power play, but I could be wrong about that.

22 hours ago, Ilunga said:

I know his career is defined by that hit on Lindros however that was a different time. 

He only received four minor elbowing penalties in his entire career.

I consider him to be one of the greatest physical playing defensman of all time. 

If he can come in and teach our defence to play a physical game like his within the current rules, I would be stoked.

What about Scott Neidermayer?

BC boy connection...

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

What about Scott Neidermayer?

BC boy connection...

He knows how to win for sure. 

Currently he is coaching in the ducks system a team he played for, so I don't know if he wants to come here. 

Same story with all players that coach, can they teach their skills, acumen and general hockey knowledge to the current generation. 

I, like others on this board want our team, not just our defense to play a bit more physical.

The new management talks about " sandpaper"

Any coach or approach that helps our team in this regard I am behind 100 percent.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, mll said:

He resigned for family reasons.   Minnesota had made the playoffs every year since 2014 - they missed in 2019 but he resigned in 2017.

From the Star Tribune by Russo with comments by Boudreau on hard he will be to replace:

https://www.startribune.com/wild-assistant-coach-scott-stevens-resigns/425369993/

The Hall of Fame defenseman, former Devils captain and three-time Stanley Cup champion has a primary home in New Jersey and his wife and two children back in the New York/New Jersey area.

“I just want to be closer,” he said. “That’s the toughest part of this job — moving away from your house and being away from family. I need them and they need me. When you’ve been in one spot for a long time, it’s a little tougher than you think to just get up and move. But I had nothing but a great experience in Minnesota.”

Stevens, 53, informed Boudreau of his decision before the team’s hockey operations meetings last week.

“I said, ‘Is it something we did?’ He said, ‘Nope, nope, nope,’ that the best thing for his family was for him to move home,” Boudreau said. “We gave each other a hug. He’s going to be very difficult to replace, but I respect him so much and respect what he wants to do.”

[...]

“He worked long, long hours,” Boudreau said. “We did everything together. He was a young coach, and I think he learned a lot over the course of the year. I was really excited about bringing the whole group back because we got along great together, but I had this inkling in the back of my mind. Scott was away from home and his wife was away from him quite often and she’s going back to school in New York and he’s a real family guy. I didn’t think it out loud, but I thought this was a possibility.

“He’ll be very hard to replace because A), the credibility rating off the bat and his work ethic. You can see why he’s a Hall of Famer and Stanley Cup champion. I learned so much about what it takes to be a champion just by watching him work. All of those little things, it’s going to be hard to replace. And loyal. He was loyal as the day is long.”

I am a big fan of loyalty full stop. 

In a team sport environment it's one of the essential keys to success IMO. 

Loyalty to your team mates and trust.

Without those 2 things you don't have a team, let alone win.

• Cheers 1