The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Assistant coaches Scott Walker & Kyle Gustafson, and video coach Darryl Seward won't be back next season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

15 hours ago, gottalovethosenucks said:

How does Jason King survive the guillotine time and time again ? Our power play is terrible lol  

It was bad before he took over. Maybe the players are an issue.

On 5/21/2022 at 7:07 AM, Alflives said:

650 saying another Scott could be coming to take Walker’s place - Scott Stevens.  They said Boudreau and Stevens worked together in Minny. 

This would be fantastic.

On 5/22/2022 at 7:32 PM, Ilunga said:

He knows how to win for sure. 

Currently he is coaching in the ducks system a team he played for, so I don't know if he wants to come here. 

Same story with all players that coach, can they teach their skills, acumen and general hockey knowledge to the current generation. 

I, like others on this board want our team, not just our defense to play a bit more physical.

The new management talks about " sandpaper"

Any coach or approach that helps our team in this regard I am behind 100 percent.

I know its semantics and somewhat a pet peeve

but this is what I think of when I hear folks talk about sandpaper

Sandpaper Texture - Bing

Ol' Motter and Highmee in mid-season form

Now barbed wire on the other hand

Old Barbed Wire Fence - Bing images

I can get behind that analogy

Edited by lmm

On 5/22/2022 at 11:28 AM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

It's ceretainly not a surprise after finishing in the bottom of the league and out of the playoff's again for the umpteenth time over the past decade.    I'm surprised it took so long to clean house after getting the same results year after year after year.  Someone was asleep at the wheel allowing this failure to continue for over a decade!

Keeping the same coaching staff and players and expecting different results would be the quintessential definition of insanity.  Now that the internals of the canucks staff have been gutted, I can't wait to see the housecleaning coming to the players ranks !  

4 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

A question regarding the “eye in the sky” assistant. Who was that last year and are they still here? Because that person seemed to be pretty awesome, got most of the no-goal calls right and reacted quickly to give Bruce time to ask for a review. Hope this person wasn’t among those fired.

2 hours ago, 4petesake said:

A question regarding the “eye in the sky” assistant. Who was that last year and are they still here? Because that person seemed to be pretty awesome, got most of the no-goal calls right and reacted quickly to give Bruce time to ask for a review. Hope this person wasn’t among those fired.

In the AFL, this happens after every goal is kicked. 

It is umpires call and sometimes the video isn't definitive, that's when the goal or point umpire originally called stands. 

Most times video gets it right.

Dunno why in this day and age all pro sports don't do this.

Edited by Ilunga
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Doug Jarvis is our "eye in the sky" assistant coach. He's officially listed as "Senior Advisor" but he was an assistant coach for the Canucks (during the Willie D years) before that and was an assistant with Boston when they won the cup in 2011. He doesn't appear to have been fired and he did survive the transition from Willie D to Travis Green. Doug is in his late 60's so there's a chance that, instead of getting fired, he simply retires from the NHL but until there's announcement I'm going to assume he's coming back in his same Senior Advisor role next season.

Edited by Quantum
  • Thanks 1

Glad Brad Shaw is being kept around. Huge improvement over Baumer - and he just seems like a great mix between Torts' anger issues and a detailed system's approach.

Jason King had late season redemption, so makes sense he's being kept. I feel he's probably on thin ice tho.

Seward surprises me a bit. Seemed to be highly spoken of, and had a good record in supporting Green and Boudreau on coach's challenges. I'm thinking he'll find another job.

Got me curious about assistant coaches tho. Wonder if Paul Maurice would consider an assistant position if he's wanting a bit of space from the limelight. Depending what happens with Seattle this off-season, maybe Jay Leach could be reunited with BB after their Washington years together. Okay but hear me out.... Scott Niedermayer (replace Walker) and Scott Stevens (replace Gustafson) were both BB assistants in the past - maybe it's time for a reunion and for some more Niedermayer-to-come-home-to-BC rumours.  Rick Tocchet was one of the coaches Rutherford brought in when he was upset about the breakouts and other similar issues after his first year in Pittsburgh. Tocchet eventually left for a HC job but I could see him bringing in a similar voice to Walker's. Jaques Martin another name that was with Rutherford in Pitts.

20 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Wtf?  How the heck are we letting walker go?!   Hes everything this team needs more of.

It was his decision.

He apparently told JR from the beginning that it would likely only be one season. He has family and business commitments he needs to focus on.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

In other words.  We are looking for an assistant coach who can take over from Bruce next season as head coach.  The guy we wanted to hire as head coach in the first place.