The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Maple Leafs re-sign Mark Giordano

8 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Must be nice having former provincial stars wanting to come home to play as savvy vets. 

No doubt.   Imagine if Yzerman came home and Sakic.    We'd have been unstoppable during the WCE era, not only because they'd be on our team (Sakic broke 100 as a 37 year old!), but because both COL and DET were our stiffest competition.   I'm starting to warm up to the idea of Evander Kane a little watching him chase some records right now.   10 goals ... barely into the second round.   Bure had 16.   Reggie Leech record scoring at his rate is actually doable IF somehow they make it to the final.    

Edit:  All he has to do is score 3 more and he's in the top 50 all-time ... some massive names on that list. Don't have any skin in the battle of Alberta - as who wins.   Starting to like the idea of McDavid and Co going head to head with COL.   Would be quite the barn burner.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

Good on Gio to sign low so he can continue playing for his hometown team. It's really the only way the Leafs could fit him in with all their high-priced contracts, and it gives him the opportunity to finally get a cup before he retires. Between he and Spezza taking lower deals, you'd think that would give the Leafs a leg up on other teams and not be a perennial first round exit team.

9 minutes ago, mll said:

Friedman on his podcast said they had initially agreed on a 1M AAV but he went back to them and suggested they shave even more off to help their cap.

wonder if the Player's Association will be as upset at this "taking less" as they were when Kesler was talking about it?

Or will Gio get a free ride cause.... Toronto?

• Cheers 3

Signings like this make me hate the Leafs that much more.... maybe they should bring Big Bad Joe back in town too for $750k!!

When was the last time we had a hometown hero signing with us for cheap and was still GOOD???? I can't even think of one....

2 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

Signings like this make me hate the Leafs that much more.... maybe they should bring Big Bad Joe back in town too for $750k!!

When was the last time we had a hometown hero signing with us for cheap and was still GOOD???? I can't even think of one....

I remember Brendan Morrison came back for a PTO but he signed for $850K in Calgary instead and scored 44 points in 66 games. That was the year we went to the cup as well, it would have been nice to see him go to the finals with us. 

I wanted Mitchell or Hamhuis to come back cheap. Cliff Ronning coming back in 02-03 would have been awesome 

• Cheers 3

21 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

I remember Brendan Morrison came back for a PTO but he signed for $850K in Calgary instead and scored 44 points in 66 games. That was the year we went to the cup as well, it would have been nice to see him go to the finals with us. 

I wanted Mitchell or Hamhuis to come back cheap. Cliff Ronning coming back in 02-03 would have been awesome 

We really could have used BMo in the finals too. Then again, we probably don't do the Lapierre trade then.

7 hours ago, mll said:

Friedman on his podcast said they had initially agreed on a 1M AAV but he went back to them and suggested they shave even more off to help their cap.

Damn that's wild. Good on him and what a lucky break for Toronto. Got a defensemen that is still a good #4, will likely play on their bottom pair and the cap hit is so low there is no risk. 

On 5/22/2022 at 1:48 PM, -AJ- said:

Amazing deal for the Leafs, but I'm guessing Gio wanted two years, hence the low pay. Also just trying to win a Cup before he retires.

If he wants to win a Cup before he retires, he signed with the wrong team. Haha!

On 5/23/2022 at 5:08 AM, IBatch said:

No doubt.   Imagine if Yzerman came home and Sakic.    We'd have been unstoppable during the WCE era, not only because they'd be on our team (Sakic broke 100 as a 37 year old!), but because both COL and DET were our stiffest competition.   I'm starting to warm up to the idea of Evander Kane a little watching him chase some records right now.   10 goals ... barely into the second round.   Bure had 16.   Reggie Leech record scoring at his rate is actually doable IF somehow they make it to the final.    

Edit:  All he has to do is score 3 more and he's in the top 50 all-time ... some massive names on that list. Don't have any skin in the battle of Alberta - as who wins.   Starting to like the idea of McDavid and Co going head to head with COL.   Would be quite the barn burner.  

I personally didn't want Kane here because of his past, personal history, but there's no denying that he's a rock--solid player. 

Who knows, we'll see how it all evolves, but right now, perhaps, he's realized he better shape up or he's messed up an amazing opportunity that many dream of. 

19 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

I personally didn't want Kane here because of his past, personal history, but there's no denying that he's a rock--solid player. 

Who knows, we'll see how it all evolves, but right now, perhaps, he's realized he better shape up or he's messed up an amazing opportunity that many dream of. 

Unless a gambling counsellor, a psychologist, and a psychiatrist say he's mentally ok, and he's broken his gambling habit. I'd stay away.

I'd also want him doing a whole bunch of work at BC Children's Hospital, and Canuck Place. I'd want to know he's got his head on straight.

And is a changed person.

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

If you need a laugh:

Why do all the old timers always say this when just signed with Toronto.   Spezza, Simmonds…. Giordano… god knows who else.  Then I realize, no other sane GM will offer these guys a contract.  

On 5/23/2022 at 2:06 PM, Coconuts said:

Must be nice having former provincial stars wanting to come home to play as savvy vets. 

I believe it's the history factor as well, original 6 team.

I remember my first season- ski- in Canada and buying a book about the history of the game. 

Bloody good stuff.

I totally realised why hockey is a religion in your country.

• Cheers 2

37 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I believe it's the history factor as well, original 6 team.

I remember my first season- ski- in Canada and buying a book about the history of the game. 

Bloody good stuff.

I totally realised why hockey is a religion in your country.

Plays a role for Ontario boys apparently, that's got sure

• Cheers 1