The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We do not need to tear it down OR make big trades

Rate this topic

MtnHockeyGuy

On 5/24/2022 at 11:24 PM, aGENT said:

At the expense of OEL' s offensive game.

Because they're an ill fit.

My ignore button finger is getting itchy again.

Maybe we should try trading him for Bouchard?   Ha ha ha.   

• Huggy Bear 1

On 5/24/2022 at 11:24 PM, aGENT said:

At the expense of OEL' s offensive game.

Because they're an ill fit.

My ignore button finger is getting itchy again.

Maybe we should try trading him for Bouchard?   Ha ha ha.   

I think of it like when we had Burke. He assembled the core. But he was terrible at the finer points much like JB. Then we got Nonutz who was just a Burke underling it wasn't until MG arrived that T's started getting crossed and I's dotted and we started to contend.  We will see if JR can dot i's and cross t's. A team is greater than the sum of its parts. It's important that we start assembling the right pieces to get the most out of our players. 

We need a 3c who can take d zone fo's off Bo's plate. And most importantly fix our PK. Out Dickinson

We need a defensive LHD who can take shut down duty off OEL's plate. Out Rathbone, Hunt, 

We need a RHD to play with Hughes though Shenn has been a good fit he shouldn't be considered the solution. Short term though its not an immediate need. Out Poolman

We need some speed on the wings who can push D back. Out Boeser, 

We need a 4th line that bangs and PK's. Out Highmore, Chia, Dowling, Petan, Guiseppe

If JR can address 2 of these areas this off-season it will be a good start. Hopefully the assets aquired from moving Boeser + Bone can offset the cost to move Poolman, Dicki. Another option would be to trade them for 1 player under performing his contract on another team who may be a better for for us. 

Edited by hammertime

With JR/PA coming in to clean house, I thought it would be crazy with the amount of moves, but now I wonder how active they'll actually be. During JR's interview on D&D, he mentioned patience and it just seems every move they make will be very calculated and they'll take one step at a time. I don't expect a flurry of activity, with trades. The biggest issue is whether Bo and JT will accept new deals offered. I have a feeling they'll both accept. Same with Boeser, I believe he'll re-sign and have a great season in  2022/23.

Garland, Pearson and Myers will be traded, I think. 

Do they also target PIT UFAs?  Letang or Malkin

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Slow offensive guy who can't play in his own end. Just like when he was drafted... No thanks :P

Totally.  What a bum.  

Edit:  Fastest backwards skater in the draft ... not slow.   But agree that QHs was the right guy (and i was 100% against Boqvist, found QHs a little more interesting but growing up when guys like Jovo were  undersized just couldn't see it working out.   It for sure did.   That said i wouldn't be surprised if Bouchard has a pretty good career.   We might be able to thank Keith for that.   Darn it.

Edit:  When Suter/Weber came into the league just before Doughty and EK...To me he could be the Bowmeester of the bunch.   Not as bad as Bogasian turned out (Doughty/vs Bogasian - was a thing just like Bouchard vs Dobson was) - but actually a pretty decent top four two-way D.    He's scored some big goals for them so far during the season and during the playoffs.    And doesn't get the PP time (yet).   Once he does, he might end up like Carlson did in WSH, but not as a 28 year old, a 24-25 year old.    Not sure it's time to pass the crow plate around quite yet ...

Edit 2:  Holland couldn't do it 4 cores in a row in Det.   But he's sure managed some things in EDM that shows he's not done yet.    COL/EDM could be the most exciting series of the playoffs.   COL of course should win.   But adding Hyman, Keith and E Kane ... i'm not too sure i'd bet on that series.   Plus Smith has a penchant for amping it up - did it once in PHX with a really mediocre at best lineup.    If he can channel his inner Bower or Broduer or Sawchuk ... COL might be trading for JT in the off-season lol. 

Edited by IBatch

i get the impression that they will trade miller, retaining 50% of cap hit along with myers or oel for a partner for hughes and a defensive d-man top 4's and a young center who can start as 3rd line center. that would be an excellent start.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Not sure why people rip on Bouchard. He looks dense, but he's a right shot D with size, and he produces. 43 pts in 81 games for a Dman is nothing to sneeze at, and he's going to the western conference finals. He's only 22. Should we be criticizing seeing as we drafted Juolevi?

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Not sure why people rip on Bouchard. He looks dense, but he's a right shot D with size, and he produces. 43 pts in 81 games for a Dman is nothing to sneeze at, and he's going to the western conference finals. He's only 22. Should we be criticizing seeing as we drafted Juolevi?

A pylon could put up points with McDrai.  Hughes would be getting 100 plus points running the Oiler PP.  

28 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Totally.  What a bum.  

Edit:  Fastest backwards skater in the draft ... not slow.   But agree that QHs was the right guy (and i was 100% against Boqvist, found QHs a little more interesting but growing up when guys like Jovo were  undersized just couldn't see it working out.   It for sure did.   That said i wouldn't be surprised if Bouchard has a pretty good career.   We might be able to thank Keith for that.   Darn it.

Edit:  When Suter/Weber came into the league just before Doughty and EK...To me he could be the Bowmeester of the bunch.   Not as bad as Bogasian turned out (Doughty/vs Bogasian - was a thing just like Bouchard vs Dobson was) - but actually a pretty decent top four two-way D.    He's scored some big goals for them so far during the season and during the playoffs.    And doesn't get the PP time (yet).   Once he does, he might end up like Carlson did in WSH, but not as a 28 year old, a 24-25 year old.    Not sure it's time to pass the crow plate around quite yet ...

Edit 2:  Holland couldn't do it 4 cores in a row in Det.   But he's sure managed some things in EDM that shows he's not done yet.    COL/EDM could be the most exciting series of the playoffs.   COL of course should win.   But adding Hyman, Keith and E Kane ... i'm not too sure i'd bet on that series.   Plus Smith has a penchant for amping it up - did it once in PHX with a really mediocre at best lineup.    If he can channel his inner Bower or Broduer or Sawchuk ... COL might be trading for JT in the off-season lol. 

Like I said at the draft, his upside is probably a (slow) second pair, offensive D that needs defensive sheltering.

I'll give you that It's an NHL player, which is always a win coming out of the draft, but you don't draft that high for that middling of upside IMO. Ability to put up points or not.

I would have picked any of Hughes, Boqvist, Dobson, Smith and Miller before him in that draft and probably still would. 

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Like I said at the draft, his upside is probably a (slow) second pair, offensive D that needs defensive sheltering.

I'll give you that It's an NHL player, which is always a win coming out of the draft, but you don't draft that high for that middling of upside IMO. Ability to put up points or not.

I would have picked any of Hughes, Boqvist, Dobson, Smith and Miller before him in that draft and probably still would. 

Bouchard will likely pass the medium bar for 10th overalls within two years ... 7th in 3.   People think that all these guys work out, or should work out which is far from the truth.   JV would have passed the average games played bar half way through this season, and that's with a couple years of covid.    Bouchard was a RHD available and projected to be right around where we picked.    We could have done worse.    And we have.    Sophomore year 42 points almost all even strength, double digits in goals and decent advanced stats.    6'2" and not pint sized.    Maybe i just like the name too - remember Bouchard in MTL, and my best man's last name was the same. But for sure he dropped.   EDM didn't think they had a chance of getting him at 10 and didn't have a jersey ready for him.     Won't know for a long time yet.   But he's not looking like the "bust" some made him out to be just because Dobson and Hughes already were in the NHL either.  

From a positional standpoint he was a smart pick.   Also likely had the highest floor - so did OJ and we all know how that worked out.   Aside from Housley and Rafalski i've never seen a guy like Hughes size on D and he's even smaller.   But i sure remember Housley.   What a player he was. 

Edited by IBatch

Just now, IBatch said:

Bouchard will likely pass the medium bar for 10th overalls within two years ... 7th in 3.   People think that all these guys work out, or should work out which is far from the truth.   JV would have passed the average games played bar half way through this season, and that's with a couple years of covid.    Bouchard was a RHD available and projected to be right around where we picked.    We could have done worse.    And we have.    Sophomore year 42 points almost all even strength, double digits in goals and decent advanced stats.    6'2" and not pint sized.    Maybe i just like the name too - remember Bouchard in MTL, and my best man's last name was the same. But for sure he dropped.   EDM didn't think they had a chance of getting him at 10 and didn't have a jersey ready for him.     Won't know for a long time yet.   But he's not looking like the "bust" some made him out to be just because Dobson and Hughes already were in the NHL either. 

Bouchard is an absolutely massive defensive liability.  He has shown zero signs of ever being able to play well enough in his own zone to become an actual NHL quality player.  He's soft, slow, and stupid.  Was a major reason for Canada's struggles at the WJHC in Canada when he was gifted an unearned roster spot, and he's a major problem in Edmonton where he's proving himself to be an absolute pylon.  I don't care how many points he puts up; his defensive performance is simply not acceptable and I'm grateful that Edmonton wasted a pick on a useless bum.

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Bouchard is an absolutely massive defensive liability.  He has shown zero signs of ever being able to play well enough in his own zone to become an actual NHL quality player. 

+10 last season - same as Hughes

• Haha 2

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Are you fishing?  

Chychscrub was -20.  So Bouchard is twice as good?  :lol:

Seriously, Bouchard seems like a nice person.  But look at him!  Hoof met head several times for that guy.

Oilers stink.  Their fans stink.  Their city stinks (ha ha; it actually does).  Their Province stinks. 

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

From a positional standpoint he was a smart pick.   Also likely had the highest floor - so did OJ and we all know how that worked out.   Aside from Housley and Rafalski i've never seen a guy like Hughes size on D and he's even smaller.   But i sure remember Housley.   What a player he was. 

Like I said, he was a pretty safe bet to be an NHL'er, which is always good to get out of the draft. I've never called him a bust. Just middling, slow and bad at defending :lol: Great shot though! Safe bet but low-middle ceiling is late first territory IMO, particularly with FAR better options on the table. Could we have done worse? Sure. We could also have done better (as could the Oilers).

I still wouldn't have taken him at 10 though when there were better players available, with better skill sets and better skating. Dobson EASILY. Like not even close.

Also was high on Farabee, K'andre Miller and Smith (though to a somewhat lesser extent on Smith).

21 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hughes improved a lot once Baumgartner left.  Bouchard has never proven himself capable of actually playing defence at any level.  He's coasting due to playing a lot with McDiver, but his play in his own zone is absolutely atrocious.  After seeing him live a few times, I was embarrassed to have him representing Canada.

• Like 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

Hughes improved a lot once Baumgartner left.  Bouchard has never proven himself capable of actually playing defence at any level.  He's coasting due to playing a lot with McDiver, but his play in his own zone is absolutely atrocious.  After seeing him live a few times, I was embarrassed to have him representing Canada.

One thing I noticed about Bouchard is he’s got a face (look) it’s hard not to feel sorry for.  Classic, droopy, sad-sack look.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Like I said, he was a pretty safe bet to be an NHL'er, which is always good to get out of the draft. I've never called him a bust. Just middling, slow and bad at defending :lol: Great shot though! Safe bet but low-middle ceiling is late first territory IMO, particularly with FAR better options on the table. Could we have done worse? Sure. We could also have done better (as could the Oilers).

I still wouldn't have taken him at 10 though when there were better players available, with better skill sets and better skating. Dobson EASILY. Like not even close.

Also was high on Farabee, K'andre Miller and Smith (though to a somewhat lesser extent on Smith).

Late first territory is actually tweener 150 or so NHL games though ...  as in not a bust...again people overrate picks all the time on this site.   NHL scouts consider 200 NHL games as a win past 20 

Edited by IBatch