The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We do not need to tear it down OR make big trades

Rate this topic

MtnHockeyGuy

Just NO to trading Huggy anywhere. Canuck for life please!

I would look to trade Garland as he is still youngish top 6 and a controlled asset… this is what most teams are shopping for. 
Can see lot of teams like Ottawa NJ LA in this mix.  All those teams have heaps of young talent. Maximize the return and pull the trigger. Open cap to re-sign your core… 

Prediction:

Garland Traded 

Pearson Traded

Dickinson Traded

Qualify Highmore

Qualify Lammikko

Extend Boeser 5x7

Extend Horvat 8x6.5

Swinging hard at the bargain bin in UFA. Short term only.  Speed/Size/Tenacity/IQ. 

JT Miller… still not sure how this plays out at all.  Not sure the home run offer will be there.  Could see him come back without an extension and dealt as a pure rental in-season if the team is outside the playoff mix.  If they are rolling… they re-sign him per demand imo. 

Edited by 70seven

Rutherford was talking about the team playing more of a system.  I know that JR has a history of letting coaches play out their contracts before renewing as he did with Sullivan but I wonder if Boudreau's renewal is contingent on his ability to implement this system.  I'm really curious how effective it will be.

Clearly there will be some changes because they also have goals of improving cap flexibility and shoring up the defense but I think there is likely less movement rather than more.

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is not going to be popular with many of you but I really think Horvat is our "Odd Man Out" when it comes to "Centres". 

When we look at the roles they play, Petterson will be our #1 centre but not right now. Bo is not a #1 Centre but Miller is. Miller is only 2 years older then Bo and both are over JR's 26 year old bench mark. 

We are basically paying way too much for a 3rd line centre in which Bo would be for the next couple of years. Also, Petey is not ready to be a #1 centre quite yet as faceoffs is one thing that needs much improvement from him. 

The logical thing to do would be to pay Miller as our #1 until Petey is ready to take over. I think the time frames would favor these two players switching roles in a few years.

I think also, with the concern over the Country Club atmosphere, a change of Captaincy would wipe the slate clean and truly bring in a "New Era" to this hockey club.

The other logical move would be to move Myers, as some have already indicated. Our PMD our Hughes and OEL, we do not need a third one , especially for what his salary is. If Myers played with a little bit of snarl on a regular basis, then I would say keep him, but that's not the case. 

I am skeptical of Boeser's status on the team as well, due to his foot speed, but I think the other two issues need to be addressed first and foremost in order for this team to progress further into a Cup Contender.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I know this is not going to be popular with many of you but I really think Horvat is our "Odd Man Out" when it comes to "Centres". 

When we look at the roles they play, Petterson will be our #1 centre but not right now. Bo is not a #1 Centre but Miller is. Miller is only 2 years older then Bo and both are over JR's 26 year old bench mark. 

We are basically paying way too much for a 3rd line centre in which Bo would be for the next couple of years. Also, Petey is not ready to be a #1 centre quite yet as faceoffs is one thing that needs much improvement from him. 

The logical thing to do would be to pay Miller as our #1 until Petey is ready to take over. I think the time frames would favor these two players switching roles in a few years.

I think also, with the concern over the Country Club atmosphere, a change of Captaincy would wipe the slate clean and truly bring in a "New Era" to this hockey club.

The other logical move would be to move Myers, as some have already indicated. Our PMD our Hughes and OEL, we do not need a third one , especially for what his salary is. If Myers played with a little bit of snarl on a regular basis, then I would say keep him, but that's not the case. 

I am skeptical of Boeser's status on the team as well, due to his foot speed, but I think the other two issues need to be addressed first and foremost in order for this team to progress further into a Cup Contender.

Makes sense assuming a team would be willing to pay a (very) high price.  We're all aware of the many desirable traits that Bo has so no need to go over them.  They would make him really expensive for an acquiring team.  

There's a distinct possibility that you're a year too late with your views on Petey.  He wasn't a #1 C last year but I am expecting another big step this year.  

This team DOES need to trade a big piece. Not because of performance necessarily but because the salary cap and cap issues are both real things and asset management needs to be a priority, especially for a team with as weak a prospect pool as ours. We aren’t in a position to give JT Miller a monster contract that runs through his mid and late 30s, that’s not good business for this team. So if you can’t sign him you’re foolish not to trade him, maximize his value and add a combination of a young player/prospects/picks that can help this team add depth and ELCs to contribute to success. 

5 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Makes sense assuming a team would be willing to pay a (very) high price.  We're all aware of the many desirable traits that Bo has so no need to go over them.  They would make him really expensive for an acquiring team.  

There's a distinct possibility that you're a year too late with your views on Petey.  He wasn't a #1 C last year but I am expecting another big step this year.  

Yes I agree he is still a very valuable player to any team , I just think he doesn't fit on this team, in the grand scheme of things. He really should be the #2 centre on any team,  period. 

I really would like to see Petey get a little stronger, and this would probably help his face off ability as well. I just don't see that yet and I do agree he should take another big step next year, especially with no injuries and a proper training camp.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

Yes I agree he is still a very valuable player to any team , I just think he doesn't fit on this team, in the grand scheme of things. He really should be the #2 centre on any team,  period. 

I really would like to see Petey get a little stronger, and this would probably help his face off ability as well. I just don't see that yet and I do agree he should take another big step next year, especially with no injuries and a proper training camp.

I hear you.  I was trying to decide whether or not to touch on this in my first post.  If you're putting on muscle/strength the correct way (without frowned upon supplements if you catch my drift) then it does take some time.  He's already listed about 15lbs bigger than when we drafted him.  About 8-10 more and he's about the same as the Sedins were.  

More reasons for optimism is what I'm getting at.

4 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

I hear you.  I was trying to decide whether or not to touch on this in my first post.  If you're putting on muscle/strength the correct way (without frowned upon supplements if you catch my drift) then it does take some time.  He's already listed about 15lbs bigger than when we drafted him.  About 8-10 more and he's about the same as the Sedins were.  

More reasons for optimism is what I'm getting at.

Yes I am optimistic as well, I still remember seeing the Sedins when they first came in to the league and I was very skeptical of them being able to gain some muscle too. They were kids playing amongst men! 

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Yes I am optimistic as well, I still remember seeing the Sedins when they first came in to the league and I was very skeptical of them being able to gain some muscle too. They were kids playing amongst men! 

We still had the WCE line though.  And we had legitimate 3C in the form of Chubie.  And Linden.  Sedins were better insulated.  Right now we STILL have Horvat handling the tough C defensive assignments and winger Miller taking the other C spot.

33 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

We still had the WCE line though.  And we had legitimate 3C in the form of Chubie.  And Linden.  Sedins were better insulated.  Right now we STILL have Horvat handling the tough C defensive assignments and winger Miller taking the other C spot.

Yes very true but we still can't pay 3 centers that kind of money and Petey is not ready to be thrown the reigns just yet. We need the 3rd and 4th lines having a lot more defensive responsibilities then they have been the last few years. 

Horvat just adds to that confusion as to who is responsible defensively and who is to provide the offense. 

Both Petey and Miller are penalty killers so we will still have that in tact. 

I still think the logical step is to keep Miller and move Bo.

6 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Yes very true but we still can't pay 3 centers that kind of money and Petey is not ready to be thrown the reigns just yet. We need the 3rd and 4th lines having a lot more defensive responsibilities then they have been the last few years. 

Horvat just adds to that confusion as to who is responsible defensively and who is to provide the offense. 

Both Petey and Miller are penalty killers so we will still have that in tact. 

I still think the logical step is to keep Miller and move Bo.

We arent trading BO. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

We arent trading BO. 

Agreed. We're not building for this coming season as the "finish line" anyway. The next couple years are just the warm up to the race (hopefully) starting and running for a good 5'ish years after. By then Pettersson is a 1C and I think we all agree Bo is fine at 2C until probably the last couple years there.

Keeping Miller in that context makes a lot less sense. Turning 32 when the race starts and going downhill from there.

Sell, get the assets.

Edited by aGENT

12 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

We arent trading BO. 

Yeah I am not too sure and I believe management has the belief that they don't make decisions on players based on the popularity vote. I like Bo but I am not sure he is the one to lead this team into battle. When the team was down and out at the beginning of the season last year, Miller was the one of the only forwards who remotely looked liked he could play through that adversity. 

I am not sure we can keep Bo because he is a Nice Guy and he is good at face offs. You need to lead by example and produce and inspire your team through the adversity IMO. 

11 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

each line should have a scorer, playmaker and some sandpaper. can we say that now? each defense pair need at least one solid defensive d-man. do we have that? PA and JR want that. heres hoping they can find those pieces.

The "Sandpaper" department has been hard to come by for this team for quite a awhile now. I sure hope we definitely fill those roles. No more MR. NICE GUY! ::D

13 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

We arent trading BO. 

As fans we don't want to trade Bo.  But JR said he's going to make decisions that are best for the club going forward and that fans may not like the choices made.  So other that Petey, Hughes, Demko any player can be trade to make our club better down the road.  

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

each line should have a scorer, playmaker and some sandpaper. can we say that now? each defense pair need at least one solid defensive d-man. do we have that? PA and JR want that. heres hoping they can find those pieces.

It can't be said any simpler than this... Cheers Joe.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

As fans we don't want to trade Bo.  But JR said he's going to make decisions that are best for the club going forward and that fans may not like the choices made.  So other that Petey, Hughes, Demko any player can be trade to make our club better down the road.  

That's the best way to put it Alf, I am OK with whatever deal makes us a stronger team overall. The team will be built around those three and the team around them will depend on what kind of deals management can make that makes the most sense.

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Said the same a few months back...

The best part about our new management group is, they don't have the same feelings for the players as we, they fans, have...

Changes have to be made, and not all of us are going to like them, but we need to accept this, if we want to move forward.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

Yeah I am not too sure and I believe management has the belief that they don't make decisions on players based on the popularity vote. I like Bo but I am not sure he is the one to lead this team into battle. When the team was down and out at the beginning of the season last year, Miller was the one of the only forwards who remotely looked liked he could play through that adversity. 

When they were making a run for the playoffs; Bo upped his game dramatically and was a team leader until he was

injured.  31 goals in 70 games is more than a 2nd C.

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

I am not sure we can keep Bo because he is a Nice Guy and he is good at face offs. You need to lead by example and produce and inspire your team through the adversity IMO. 

What an insulting thing to say.  The last time Bo played an 82 game season, he scored 61pts at 23yrs old.  After that

the pandemic hit and his numbers dropped accordingly. 

Miller's numbers before the Vancouver trade, were similar to Bo's, but he was playing 82 games.  It wasn't until he

started playing on the 1st line with Pete and Brock that he started putting up the stats.

I'm not saying that Bo will ever reach Miller's status, but I do think that he will improve his game in the next couple of

years; especially if the team upgrades the 2nd line (or the young guys improve).  His stats will easily be 1st line.

I have no doubt that a player like Pete (smart, determined and highly skilled) will develop his face off skills to a high

level and continue his progression in becoming a top C in the league.  This leaves Bo as the more than capable 2C;

with a much lower contract than Miller. 

I love Miller and would rather not see him traded.  The problem is that his contract will be too much $ and term.

He will also get a greater return on a trade than Bo.