The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] KADRI KANE TYPE OF PLAYERS...

Thays the type of sandpaper team toughness im talking about wadi may not be the biggest guy but he would go most guys im sure and kane would anyone..as much as i hate them as a player they are the type you want on your team....marchand is another...these players obviously so hard to find...you need to the whole package skill character off ice on ice...kadri and kane know what they have to do to be successful...its not easy but you can almost tell if a player has it or not in a few games that involves test of character...i really high more for now i think if he can bulk up get tougher he can be very good..

• Huggy Bear 1

Good points but these won't come cheap and there style of play don't really age well.  With Boudreau as coach, I am more confident that Allvin can give him a bunch of unknowns, with a clear role and he will be able to coach them up; just look at, Lammi and Highmore.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

41 minutes ago, Azzy said:

I'd rather see this team lose with nice guys than win with a roster full of douches. No thanks.

I don't think we have to go that far as the Op says but not Mr nice guys like the Twins either, look how that went... Fun to watch in the regular season but when it gets tough.. not so much.. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Azzy said:

I'd rather see this team lose with nice guys than win with a roster full of douches. No thanks.

I'd say i'd rather win a cup.   A ton of other teams and fans (and media types - hi Ron McLean) sure didn't like Burrows or Kesler ... and Cooke/Ruutu got their reps playing with us first and went on to become major douche bags on other teams - same with Torres (not the reps - he was a head hunter before he came here).    It's definitely the "eye of the beholder".    Kadri is fine.   Have him on our team any day.   Kane ... that's a tough one.   IF we were ready to contend right now he wouldn't be a bad add i'm warming up to the idea this kids hockey is definitely on spot.    I do worry about the locker room with Kane.   And what he might do with a longer term deal (go back to being a terrible off ice person).   It does take all types.   Marroon is on his 14th consecutive playoff series - guys like him are rare these days, Reaves is a nuclear deterrent too.    I'm sure IF the Oilers win with Kane, their won't be any misgivings from the fans or the players - same with COL and Kadri.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I am fine with Kadri.

But with Kane the problem is the off ice issues.

He's a good player but if you don't have a strong enough locker room or leadership core, Kane is just going to cause more problems. I guess it's no coincidence that Kane started having issues in San Jose once Thorton, Marleau, and Pavelski were no longer part of the team.

Unless Canucks have a strong leadership core and locker room (which I imagine still has some fragility), I can't see Kane being a fit in Vancouver.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, iceman64 said:

I don't think we have to go that far as the Op says but not Mr nice guys like the Twins either, look how that went... Fun to watch in the regular season but when it gets tough.. not so much.. 

The team didn't lose because of the Sedins at all. This is a terrible myth that keeps getting perpetuated by this fanbase. Look at the amount of abuse that the Sedins took, then look at the penalties that weren't called when things happened to them. It sounds conspiratorial, but being punched several times like that SHOULD'VE resulted in roughing penalties. The reality was that the refs put their whistles away when it came to things involving them, but the refs seemingly had NO PROBLEM calling the other stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Problem is these guys are usually high draftees because they have plenty of skill. You don't just draft/sign big guys, they need top end talent.

We tried and failed this several times with Virtanen, Nick Jensen, Pyatt etc etc. We went looking for guys because they were big but none of them played tough, and none of them were skilled enough either.

Honestly looking inwards, our best chance at guys like this may well be Garland and Lockwood. Will may not be skilled enough though to make a difference offensively but Garland certainly is, and rather than size, he plays with tonnes of grit so I'm sure would be a beast in the playoffs.

That being said, I'd love to see what our top guys would do in the playoffs. Miller is big, he can hit and he can score. So can Horvat. I think these are the sandpaper players we need, not to mention Podkolzin. Do we really need more? I worry we run the risk of just being a crappy version of the Blues - big and slow and no talent.

Sure, we need a Maroon-type player in our bottom 6 but we have the bodies and skill in our lineup, we just need to use it more and to be honest come playoff time, I think our top big guys like Miller, Bo, Podz, Garland and co. will play the right way.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I am fine with Kadri.

But with Kane the problem is the off ice issues.

He's a good player but if you don't have a strong enough locker room or leadership core, Kane is just going to cause more problems. I guess it's no coincidence that Kane started having issues in San Jose once Thorton, Marleau, and Pavelski were no longer part of the team.

Unless Canucks have a strong leadership core and locker room (which I imagine still has some fragility), I can't see Kane being a fit in Vancouver.

Oilers dont necessary have a strong locker room... It's McDavid, Draisaitl and Nurse... 

Kane's obviously putting on his Mr. Nice guy performance because the other end is bankruptcy for him. How long does it last? Once he gets a new multi year contract, it will go poof. And it is also hard not to score playing with McDavid and Draisaitl. 

We can go after Kadri if we have the capspace. Getting a haul from trading Miller and signing Kadri for 6mil long term isnt that bad. 

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Oilers dont necessary have a strong locker room... It's McDavid, Draisaitl and Nurse... 

Kane's obviously putting on his Mr. Nice guy performance because the other end is bankruptcy for him. How long does it last? Once he gets a new multi year contract, it will go poof. And it is also hard not to score playing with McDavid and Draisaitl. 

I mean that is also true. Then again one season of Kane probably won't sour the locker room. Oilers signing of Kane was low risk high reward, but a much longer term will make things exponentially riskier.

Edited by iinatcc

• -DLC- changed the title to [Discussion] KADRI KANE TYPE OF PLAYERS...

The fact that you used character in your list is kind of funny to me.  Nope, not that.

They haven't won squat yet and, as I said earlier, they can be a liability when they're not being an ass..et.

Everyone has their opinion but I've followed this team for a long time and realize we can't get away with what some other teams do. So, on this team, they'd end up sitting in the box or suspended and that doesn't help at all.

Their grit is abrasive enough to bring a whole lot of attention that we just don't need. There are other options. Tough grit not mouthy arrogant grit.

They're having success right now...on some pretty good teams. That part counts too.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, iceman64 said:

You win by scoring goals...and they were pretty good at that. Despite not being the big bad Canucks some wanted them to be.

The Sedins were one game away. I'd say they did a pretty good job overall.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

These kinds of guys are complimentary pieces. Can they be "good" distractions, yep for sure. A Bortuzzo type player can also be just as effective physically. 

Marchand is the most skilled and annoying, but he's not a physically imposing player, he's a different animal from Kane or Kadri. 

We need players with some size and snarl to them, but we don't need to chase after problem people.

Thats why I hope we draft some kids with size the next few drafts, particularly on d. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

These kinds of guys are complimentary pieces. Can they be "good" distractions, yep for sure. A Bortuzzo type player can also be just as effective physically. 

Marchand is the most skilled and annoying, but he's not a physically imposing player, he's a different animal from Kane or Kadri. 

We need players with some size and snarl to them, but we don't need to chase after problem people.

Thats why I hope we draft some kids with size the next few drafts, particularly on d. 

It's not the be all and end all but we do need that ingredient if we want to go far. I was hoping DiGusippe would get a chance bit that doesn't look like it's happening. The best we ever had at it was Smyl. But our bottom 6 needs it. (And a physical RD.) We do have Burroughs who is that type and could agitate if coached properly. And he's high compete.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

It's not the be all and end all but we do need that ingredient if we want to go far. I was hoping DiGusippe would get a chance bit that doesn't look like it's happening. The best we ever had at it was Smyl. But our bottom 6 needs it. (And a physical RD.) We do have Burroughs who is that type and could agitate if coached properly. And he's high compete.

full agreement on this ^. 

I like Burroughs, I do think he has a good chance at making the top 8 but he's also on the small side so yeah he's physical but if only he was 30 lbs heavier.

I wish Bo could find that in his game, but I guess if we haven't seen it by now. And I'm not ragging on him, he's a great player just isn't really part of his game.

I have high hopes for Klimovich to bring some of this, and I really want us to draft a big d-man like Bischel. 

• Cheers 1