The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] KADRI KANE TYPE OF PLAYERS...

3 minutes ago, GSP* said:

Matthew Tk... oh

I know it's been harped on to death but this one still hurts. It boggled my mind in the moment and it hasn't gotten any easier to swallow.

does his underwhelming playoff performances help soften the sting a bit? 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Not particularly, he's currently putting up a point per game these playoffs. His last game was his worst, but he had a hat trick in game 1 vs EDM.

17 minutes ago, JM_ said:

It also might just be the sting of being in the worst stretch of years in Canucks history in terms of making the playoffs. 1 playoff appearance in the last 7 years. Scrolling through their history it wasn't even that bad in the darkest days of the franchise.

https://champsorchumps.us/team/nhl/vancouver-canucks

11 minutes ago, GSP* said:

Not particularly, he's currently putting up a point per game these playoffs. His last game was his worst, but he had a hat trick in game 1 vs EDM.

outside of that, and for his career to date tho, he's been pretty meh. He hasn't been a difference maker in this series outside of 1 game so far. I fully expect him not to show up tonight. 

I'm all for adding 'sandpaper' and all, but if you're telling me that this player is a questionable human being - ill pass.  You can't tell me that there aren't 'truculent' players who are also stand-up people both on and off the ice.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GSP* said:

It also might just be the sting of being in the worst stretch of years in Canucks history in terms of making the playoffs. 1 playoff appearance in the last 7 years. Scrolling through their history it wasn't even that bad in the darkest days of the franchise.

https://champsorchumps.us/team/nhl/vancouver-canucks

Send your complaints to Bettman.   Going from a 21 team league (used to be most teams made the show) - to what it's like now.   The 80's we had EDM and CAL to contend with ... even LA ... not an easy out.   The 90's we were very good...almost a second round guaranteed with Linden on the team anyways.   Expansion ruined that for every team that cycles out more or less. The less of course is low tax teams and cities where UFAs all love to take a peak at (that's you NYR, been like that since the 70's).    We were always going to go through a lot of pain.   14 years only SJ and DET won as many games as us from 2000.   People need to open their eyeballs and look around the league.   Maybe check in with CAR. 

34 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I'm all for adding 'sandpaper' and all, but if you're telling me that this player is a questionable human being - ill pass.  You can't tell me that there aren't 'truculent' players who are also stand-up people both on and off the ice.

Totally agree with Fanuck.

Most Canuck fans would love to add more grit but I don't want a dirty player like Kadri or a d-bag like Kane. They're both really good players. Kadri is great at being a pest but he has far too often crossed the line, even at times during the playoffs that ended up getting him suspended. Kane has had too many off ice issues for my taste.

I want other teams to dread playing the Canucks, especially at home. Petey, Quinn, Nils, Garland, etc - don't scare anybody. The Canucks need a lot more gritty sandpaper, that can produce. Not just bringing in goons, but players that can play, and play physical. Canucks are too easy to play against, need to get tougher before any playoff talk.

10 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I am fine with Kadri.

But with Kane the problem is the off ice issues.

He's a good player but if you don't have a strong enough locker room or leadership core, Kane is just going to cause more problems. I guess it's no coincidence that Kane started having issues in San Jose once Thorton, Marleau, and Pavelski were no longer part of the team.

Unless Canucks have a strong leadership core and locker room (which I imagine still has some fragility), I can't see Kane being a fit in Vancouver.

this fits with Donnie and Dahli's poll question today

50% of fans said no to both.

I am not against either per se, however I believe the timing is wrong with both.

As you mentioned, the Canuck leadership might be too fragile to deal with Kane

When looking at leadership I look to the Quinn teams of the 90s

Pat Quinn was strong enough to deal with whoever came through, and the player leadership fed off of Pat Quinn

THis will cause a fire, but, I wonder if Allvin and the Chipmonks have the heart to deal with a Kane in the room?

Looking at Edmonton, (and they haven't proved anything yet) but they are a pretty veteran squad.

Love him or hate him, I think Dunc Keith is a bigger presence than E Kane

they have 8 players 30 or older not counting Kane or Kassian

I think those players are helping McDavid "Lead" as he is

Some of those players have done it before, some know this might be their last chance

Mike Smith is looking like a Tim Thomas, never did it before, but ready to play for his legacy now

Kane reminds me a bit of Anson carter, the year he played with the Sedins. 

If he takes the big money and moves on, he could be the next Loui E or Carter

Kadri was a good trade to Colorado at 28, but I'd rather keep Miller than sign him to Vancouver at 31.

A younger Kadri would be good though.

When the Canucks get to where the Oilers were at mid-season this year, that is the time to pick up a guy like Kane

I think those types are out there and hopefully PA and JR go and look for them, but agreed that they are more complementary guys (even if they do help shape the team toughness identity with the sandpaper they bring).  If I'm them I'd look at some desperate markets that now lack cap space and are expected to compete (either make the playoffs or have post-season success).

FLA: Gudas (not cheap at $2.5 million but brings edge and is an RD), or Sam Bennett (if we move Garland we could fit in that price tag)
VGK: Hague (dude's 6'6" and a pending RFA); Roy (6'4", 3rd line C with speed/ power game and right shot, pending RFA; Vegas has no cap space)
BOS: Carlo (if Bergeron retires, maybe we could swap Miller to them for Carlo ++?), maybe also get Haula or another gritty guy back
PHI: Laughton (if Philly retools after their season, maybe we could get him?  Big, fast, 3rd C, good on draws, aggressive player)
TOR: physical depth (Lyubushkin, Engvall - dude's 6'5" and fast, could be tough to play against)
NYI: will need to be a cap-in, cap-out trade since they also have many expensive guys, but with their coach's firing maybe they'll want to change from their defensive style and move some of their behemoths? (Nelson/ Lee are both towering, though substantial cap will need to be moved)
ARI: if we trade another young asset, maybe they would be open to moving Crouse?  Personally haven't heard anything against this

15 hours ago, Azzy said:

I'd rather see this team lose with nice guys than win with a roster full of douches. No thanks.

lol. That's a really biased comment.

Did you like when the Canucks 2011 team lost the cup because we had guys like Torres, Lapierre, Burrows and Kesler? I sure didn't.

I wish we won with the douches that we had.

But there's a reason our team was arguably the most hated for a time period. 

• Thanks 1

lol.

People complaining about "problem players" seem to forget about the players this team used to employ and fans used to glorify in their heyday. 

Players like Burr who cross the line with their trash talk (i.e that pretty serious controversy on Sullivan being abused by his dad), the hair pulling and biting (now in the ring of honour). 

Kesler sleeping with teammates wives, acting like a diva, and one of the most hated players in the league. 

Torres with his constant illegal hits, looking like he's trying to catch a murder case on the ice.

Lapierre not necessarily known for being classy on the ice and always been a pest/scummy.

..etc.

Stop with the holier than thou act with the "not on my team" as if you didn't cheer for these types of players before when we actually were contenders and benefitted off the "embrace the hate" motto.

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Got a kick out of listening Randip Janda extol the virtues of Nazim Kadri on the drive home show today.  This radio hack who probably has only seen ice in his glass and probably doesn't know how to tie  laces on a pair of skates was on his soap box today pontificating about how the Blues have lost their composure because of Kadri running Billington and how Kadri is taking the high road on all the racist threats he's been receiving. 

Kadri is a douche and will always be a douche.  His race has nothing to do with him being a douche.  It sucks that people are attacking him based on his race, but he deserves to have his head smashed through the end boards.  Blues are out, so someone should take a wild run at Kadri and put him out of commish for good.  The NHL without players like Kadri, Matt Cooke, Brad Marchand is a much better place.

3 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

lol.

People complaining about "problem players" seem to forget about the players this team used to employ and fans used to glorify in their heyday. 

Players like Burr who cross the line with their trash talk (i.e that pretty serious controversy on Sullivan being abused by his dad), the hair pulling and biting (now in the ring of honour). 

Kesler sleeping with teammates wives, acting like a diva, and one of the most hated players in the league. 

Torres with his constant illegal hits, looking like he's trying to catch a murder case on the ice.

Lapierre not necessarily known for being classy on the ice and always been a pest/scummy.

..etc.

Stop with the holier than thou act with the "not on my team" as if you didn't cheer for these types of players before when we actually were contenders and benefitted off the "embrace the hate" motto.

Can't dispute your commentary.  Burr with his finger biting and hair pulling and Kesler with his diving was pretty damn embarrassing at times.  But, they did provide a lot of entertainment.  Torres with the crazy eyes.  Forgot about that.

17 hours ago, Dazzle said:

The team didn't lose because of the Sedins at all. This is a terrible myth that keeps getting perpetuated by this fanbase. Look at the amount of abuse that the Sedins took, then look at the penalties that weren't called when things happened to them. It sounds conspiratorial, but being punched several times like that SHOULD'VE resulted in roughing penalties. The reality was that the refs put their whistles away when it came to things involving them, but the refs seemingly had NO PROBLEM calling the other stuff.

That's not a "instead of" that was a contributing factor.  The real problem was not putting another Anson Carter with them, we had that in Bert but he was needed with Naz so it never happened but it shows how important grit really is to balance skill but it doesn't end there, it's all well and good but unless it's provided with solid younger depth who are breaking into the roster has to be there to because there's always injuries, sickness, or suspensions.

In the end, without depth you end up like us after the Bruin's. (At best) At worst 1st round exits is worse than not making it at all. Nothing worse than to get teased and your hopes up and then.. (well every Canucks fan in franchise history knows how that goes)!

However we're close to having that for a change and I'm still in shock that management wants to address both issues, toughness and depth along with D, which I'm pretty sure JR will address after the draft and sign contracts that mature around the time their ready, 2-3 years for most and I'm sure D will be targeted heavily. Demko and Martin have G wrapped up for quite awhile so just tougher along with D and we could be in for some fun for a change! And it's not as if we don't have trade bait so who knows... ;). GCG! 

1 hour ago, iceman64 said:

That's not a "instead of" that was a contributing factor.  The real problem was not putting another Anson Carter with them, we had that in Bert but he was needed with Naz so it never happened but it shows how important grit really is to balance skill but it doesn't end there, it's all well and good but unless it's provided with solid younger depth who are breaking into the roster has to be there to because there's always injuries, sickness, or suspensions.

In the end, without depth you end up like us after the Bruin's. (At best) At worst 1st round exits is worse than not making it at all. Nothing worse than to get teased and your hopes up and then.. (well every Canucks fan in franchise history knows how that goes)!

However we're close to having that for a change and I'm still in shock that management wants to address both issues, toughness and depth along with D, which I'm pretty sure JR will address after the draft and sign contracts that mature around the time their ready, 2-3 years for most and I'm sure D will be targeted heavily. Demko and Martin have G wrapped up for quite awhile so just tougher along with D and we could be in for some fun for a change! And it's not as if we don't have trade bait so who knows... ;). GCG! 

If you were to ask me, I don't think it would've mattered. I'm not saying the league was necessarily 'against' us, but I'm also saying that the inconsistencies of the league have cost teams like the Canucks. I think the reffing is pretty terrible in many cases, and it's not due to the game being too fast for them. There are some obvious, obvious penalties that happen in front of them that don't get called. Moreover, the punishments that are dishes out for things that are potentially dangerous don't end up being serious enough to help deter future cheapshots. I can't name a player that was akin to a Scott Stevens, but the league is definitely not doing enough to curb dangerous plays, especially hits from behind, particularly around the corners. That being said, players also need to be responsible for themselves for not putting themselves into dangerous positions.

The Sedins were very tough players, and it's really time that we stop associating them with weakness. They were never the problem, period. Having someone whose a capable scorer AND enforcer might not have been enough. Penalties would be called on THEM for 'retaliating', but not for the initial penalties. In summary, the league is seemingly getting worse at understanding the game.