The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] KADRI KANE TYPE OF PLAYERS...

35 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

If you were to ask me, I don't think it would've mattered. I'm not saying the league was necessarily 'against' us, but I'm also saying that the inconsistencies of the league have cost teams like the Canucks. I think the reffing is pretty terrible in many cases, and it's not due to the game being too fast for them. There are some obvious, obvious penalties that happen in front of them that don't get called. Moreover, the punishments that are dishes out for things that are potentially dangerous don't end up being serious enough to help deter future cheapshots. I can't name a player that was akin to a Scott Stevens, but the league is definitely not doing enough to curb dangerous plays, especially hits from behind, particularly around the corners. That being said, players also need to be responsible for themselves for not putting themselves into dangerous positions.

The Sedins were very tough players, and it's really time that we stop associating them with weakness. They were never the problem, period. Having someone whose a capable scorer AND enforcer might not have been enough. Penalties would be called on THEM for 'retaliating', but not for the initial penalties. In summary, the league is seemingly getting worse at understanding the game.

Yeah I hated the Rat days of Brad, but I wish times during the season they have given back at least "something" to say I'll skate away if it's minor OR slash you if it's major, in essence to say don't F around or else!! Yeah they were tough from being in shape but also admitted playing hurt at times which a lot do yes but injuries caused by dirty hits could have been prevented or at least some of them which would have come by a message sent but never was sent so it kept going, if we'd have made the playoffs, Miller, Petey, Brock, Bo, Garland all would have been open season and I certainly didn't want to see that with limited amount of pushback available so it was good to hear that JR has his sandpaper plans moving forward because we will need it when things move to another level where players will do that kind of Sedin treatment to anyone to win. It truly does have to end... 

• Vintage 2

20 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

lol. That's a really biased comment.

Did you like when the Canucks 2011 team lost the cup because we had guys like Torres, Lapierre, Burrows and Kesler? I sure didn't.

I wish we won with the douches that we had.

But there's a reason our team was arguably the most hated for a time period. 

I didn't like Raffi. I didn't like Lappy biting people. But neither Burrows nor Kesler were repeatedly suspended by the league for headshots, repeatedly glossed over for other headshots, and never suckered punched other players like the Bruins did. You can claim the 2011 Canucks were filled with Dorchester all you want, but we were the Captain America of those Finals, facing off against Hydra.

7 hours ago, hammertime said:

2011 says hi.

Show me any comparable from the 2011 roster for either Kadri or Kane in terms of on ice or off ice issues. We'll be waiting a ruddy long time, because even inudjng Raffi's long suspension, that roster was squeaky clean by Kadri and Kane comparison.

31 minutes ago, Azzy said:

Show me any comparable from the 2011 roster for either Kadri or Kane in terms of on ice or off ice issues. We'll be waiting a ruddy long time, because even inudjng Raffi's long suspension, that roster was squeaky clean by Kadri and Kane comparison.

I wouldn't exactly call 2009/2010/11 Canucks  Max Lap, Torres, Burr, Kes. SOB, Rome, Glass, Rypein, Hansen, Bieksa, Desbiens, squeaky clean they were far nastier than the Avs or EDM are today as a team. 

Or guys like Cooke and Ruutu from the WCE drove people nutz. 

• Cheers 2

Article in the Province on some of the pending UFAs available 

F. Forsberg

M. Domi

D. Perron

N. Kadri

E. Kane (I think he stays in EDM)

N. Paul

Any chance VAN can get one of these guys? Or too expensive?

4 hours ago, Azzy said:

I didn't like Raffi. I didn't like Lappy biting people. But neither Burrows nor Kesler were repeatedly suspended by the league for headshots, repeatedly glossed over for other headshots, and never suckered punched other players like the Bruins did. You can claim the 2011 Canucks were filled with Dorchester all you want, but we were the Captain America of those Finals, facing off against Hydra.

what constitutes being a "douche" then in your sense of the word? Do you need to have a suspension to be a "douche"? Is that the requirement?

Does Burrows bringing up and making fun of a domestic abuse situation that obviously brought trauma to an individual make him a douche? Or does that make him even worse than a douche, how about a degenerate?

What about Kesler's bitchy attitude towards the team and organization at times? His alleged sh*t talking to his USA teammates about Vancouver at the Olympics when he wanted to leave in 2014. The debacle between him and Schneider's wife.

Guess what? Our "pests" were some of our best players. Burrows is in the ring of honour for goodness sake. He literally saved our team from what might've probably end up being the worst choke in franchise history had we lost against CHI in that 1st round in 2011. We loved what he accomplished for us but he (along with Kesler) were the most universally hated players in the league at one point.

This is why your opinion is biased and quite hypocritical when you point out players from other teams as if you didn't cheer for the same team that employed players with questionable behaviour.

Fact of the matter is, the Canucks aren't a team that have always/only had players with squeaky clean reputations. 

Stop acting like we're a some sort of holier than thou team.

• Cheers 1

Another player that canucksshould have signed tyler bozak..the guy is a hockey player...key players ....new hook was passed up and bozak could have been signed as free agent....the management back then just had no clue what a good player is...so many players the canucks pass up for europeans...

On 5/24/2022 at 2:21 PM, NUCKER67 said:

I want other teams to dread playing the Canucks, especially at home. Petey, Quinn, Nils, Garland,  etc - don't scare anybody. 

Petie, Huggins, Hogs, Garland, Hunt. Dries, Highmore, Petan, Dickinson - don't scare anybody. 

I'd excuse our top skill guys   but a  couple of the bottom skill guys can be (will be) swapped for a couple of truculent big guys.

If we can do it from within it would be cheaper. I would love to see Burroughs as a tough and nasty forechecker (insurance dman) on the 4th line. But there are forwards out there. Depending on their cost.

ps that's like 7 guys on our game to game everyday players, 7 guys, who are only or primarily skill players. That is not a balanced line up. The Giants could out hit that group. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Like 1

On 5/24/2022 at 2:21 AM, Azzy said:

I'd rather see this team lose with nice guys than win with a roster full of douches. No thanks.

Remember when we had Burr, Lappy, Kes, and Torres. That was the most successful year we’ve had in decades. 

When they’re your A-holes, you care less. 

• Vintage 2

4 hours ago, Oregon.Duck said:

Remember when we had Burr, Lappy, Kes, and Torres. That was the most successful year we’ve had in decades. 

When they’re your A-holes, you care less. 

As I've said elsewhere, I wasn't a fan of Raffi or Lappy. Kes and Burr were different in that they were both suspended for fractions of the times Kane and Kadri have been. Add in that Kes and Burr came through our system and not free agency in their late 20s, and they are two completely different scenarios. Also, they were dirt cheap - neither Kane nor Kadri will be.

Let other teams make those mistakes, we're been paying for our own for years already.

On 5/24/2022 at 3:06 AM, iceman64 said:

I don't think we have to go that far as the Op says but not Mr nice guys like the Twins either, look how that went... Fun to watch in the regular season but when it gets tough.. not so much.. 

Took the Canucks to game 7 of the finals...

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 3:12 PM, Azzy said:

As I've said elsewhere, I wasn't a fan of Raffi or Lappy. Kes and Burr were different in that they were both suspended for fractions of the times Kane and Kadri have been. Add in that Kes and Burr came through our system and not free agency in their late 20s, and they are two completely different scenarios. Also, they were dirt cheap - neither Kane nor Kadri will be.

Let other teams make those mistakes, we're been paying for our own for years already.

I mean that’s not your original argument though. Your point was you’d rather lose with nice guys than win with a-holes.

Price and whatnot was not your original statement. It was personality. My goal was to state that you need a-holes. How much they cost, etc, that’s up in the air. I’d rather win with a-holes. At least we are winning. 

you’re having multiple arguments here. 

Edited by Oregon.Duck

On 5/25/2022 at 10:23 PM, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

what constitutes being a "douche" then in your sense of the word? Do you need to have a suspension to be a "douche"? Is that the requirement?

Does Burrows bringing up and making fun of a domestic abuse situation that obviously brought trauma to an individual make him a douche? Or does that make him even worse than a douche, how about a degenerate?

What about Kesler's bitchy attitude towards the team and organization at times? His alleged sh*t talking to his USA teammates about Vancouver at the Olympics when he wanted to leave in 2014. The debacle between him and Schneider's wife.

Guess what? Our "pests" were some of our best players. Burrows is in the ring of honour for goodness sake. He literally saved our team from what might've probably end up being the worst choke in franchise history had we lost against CHI in that 1st round in 2011. We loved what he accomplished for us but he (along with Kesler) were the most universally hated players in the league at one point.

This is why your opinion is biased and quite hypocritical when you point out players from other teams as if you didn't cheer for the same team that employed players with questionable behaviour.

Fact of the matter is, the Canucks aren't a team that have always/only had players with squeaky clean reputations. 

Stop acting like we're a some sort of holier than thou team.

Burrows so infuriated a former NHL player, believe his name was Patrick Sullivan (could have that wrong if so apologies) that he repeatedly slammed and slandered him post career (and during his career as well).   Think Ron McLean had it in for Burrows lol - this was entirely different level stuff - he hated Burrows guts on every level, and made it his personal mission to blog cast or media or whatever he could to invalidate him as a player unworthy of the NHL.     Then there is Ben Eager.   Hated Bieksa so much ... it drove him nuts (after beating up Marleau even more so lol) and became a key moment in Canucks history (for those who don't remember - SJ was coming back harder each game and actually outplayed us in those last few games by a good margin - thank to Luongo and Bieksa for that series win, the rest weren't enough) ....2011 of course couldn't match up to Boston - but any other team in the league we could.   Was praying TB would win... they didn't and they rest is history.    And MG decided we needed more toughness and of course LA just wrecked what could have been an even better run.    

Thing is hockey keeps changing and moving away from these types of guys - it's also why they are so coveted now.   94 team would have destroyed both Boston and Vancouver even if they took all their "toughness  " and combined it.    Antoski would have beat up Thornton and Chara at the same time.    Marchand would have been knocked out doing what he did to D. Sedin to Linden.    He wouldn't have played his rat style at all,-and if he did he'd end up out of the series with an injury.   Gino sat in the box but was available for a nuclear deterrent - every single line had a fighter and toughness on it.     Diduck was a feared fighter like McQuaid.   We could match them and play any style of game needed.    So yes i agree 2011 had sand paper and toughness.    And douche bags on it too.   But they were our douche bags and we loved them for it. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Burrows so infuriated a former NHL player, believe his name was Patrick Sullivan (could have that wrong if so apologies) that he repeatedly slammed and slandered him post career (and during his career as well).   Think Ron McLean had it in for Burrows lol - this was entirely different level stuff - he hated Burrows guts on every level, and made it his personal mission to blog cast or media or whatever he could to invalidate him as a player unworthy of the NHL.     Then there is Ben Eager.   Hated Bieksa so much ... it drove him nuts (after beating up Marleau even more so lol) and became a key moment in Canucks history (for those who don't remember - SJ was coming back harder each game and actually outplayed us in those last few games by a good margin - thank to Luongo and Bieksa for that series win, the rest weren't enough) ....2011 of course couldn't match up to Boston - but any other team in the league we could.   Was praying TB would win... they didn't and they rest is history.    And MG decided we needed more toughness and of course LA just wrecked what could have been an even better run.    

Thing is hockey keeps changing and moving away from these types of guys - it's also why they are so coveted now.   94 team would have destroyed both Boston and Vancouver even if they took all their "toughness  " and combined it.    Antoski would have beat up Thornton and Chara at the same time.    Marchand would have been knocked out doing what he did to D. Sedin to Linden.    He wouldn't have played his rat style at all,-and if he did he'd end up out of the series with an injury.   Gino sat in the box but was available for a nuclear deterrent - every single line had a fighter and toughness on it.     Diduck was a feared fighter like McQuaid.   We could match them and play any style of game needed.    So yes i agree 2011 had sand paper and toughness.    And douche bags on it too.   But they were our douche bags and we loved them for it. 

Players in years gone by could play good and fight.  I’m trying to think of the last really good player who was tough as hell (fighting tough and mean).  Was it Iginla?  

I think Mackinnon fights, but it’s not like he’s a feared fighter like Iginla was. 

Now, with the gone era over, young high end skill players should be adding fighting to their skill set.  It would be a huge add to what they bring.  Imagine if in every scrum (after whistles) our top minute guys could throw down like that!  Stay in their weight class and pound a top skilled guy on the other team.  Give the guy no choice but to fight.  

Who, from our top guys, do we have that could play like that? 

Pods and (if he makes it) Klim

Petey would be a fantastic fighter if he trained for it.  Long arms and wiry strong.  Grip and rip. 

• Cheers 1

On 5/24/2022 at 2:21 AM, Azzy said:

I'd rather see this team lose with nice guys than win with a roster full of douches. No thanks.

I'd like to win ONCE though... then we can go back to being nice guys

• Haha 1

On 5/24/2022 at 6:05 AM, Drakrami said:

We can go after Kadri if we have the capspace. Getting a haul from trading Miller and signing Kadri for 6mil long term isnt that bad. 

u ain't getting a kadri for 6mil long term.. if he's signing for 6mil long term? why wouldn't he stay in colorado they have plenty of cap space this year to sign kadri a goalie and their bottom 6 and a team that is a legit contenders for years to come