The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] KADRI KANE TYPE OF PLAYERS...

13 hours ago, Oregon.Duck said:

I mean that’s not your original argument though. Your point was you’d rather lose with nice guys than win with a-holes.

Price and whatnot was not your original statement. It was personality. My goal was to state that you need a-holes. How much they cost, etc, that’s up in the air. I’d rather win with a-holes. At least we are winning. 

you’re having multiple arguments here. 

It's part of the same argument. Kes and Burr were nowhere near the same league as Kadri and Kane. If we're bringing in players of that persuasion, I'd rather they were homegrown ones we can cost control rather than pay $15m a season for two guys who miss games every season with suspensions and draw unnecessary attention to our team.

I don't compare Kane to Kadri.  He has off ice issues, but on ice he is valuable power forward that has great

offensive skills.  The 'stories' behind his off ice issues often seem enhanced or contrived; so far I don't think

there's been any arrests or conviction.  There may be something around the 'locker room cancer' but that's

pretty hard to determine as well.  I don't think Kane would be stupid enough to play in Vancouver.  The

judging eyes would have him under the microscope and it would just turn into an unhealthy scenario.

Kadri is another story.  He is a very dirty player and will do anything to reach his goal(s).  His intent is to

distract or contain, but sometimes it seems he crosses the line and the intention changes to hurt his

opponent.  Anyways, he will demand a huge contract and teams will be lining up to get him.

I prefer a solid, blended group of players that are focussed, passionate and disciplined, with everyone

playing their best in the role/assignment they have been given.

10 minutes ago, gurn said:

He certainly has a long track record of unsavoury behaviours and activities (accusations), but it appears he has

never been convicted in any of the charges to date.  Still, it might be wise for a team to stay away from a long

term contract, which he is likely looking for.

11 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

He certainly has a long track record of unsavoury behaviours and activities (accusations), but it appears he has

never been convicted in any of the charges to date.  Still, it might be wise for a team to stay away from a long

term contract, which he is likely looking for.

I was just clearing up the bit about charges.

AS to convictions, iirc in 1 case the charges were dropped, as he completed a period of time with out further incident.

A kind of "probation" as it were.

AN on the ice player like Kane would be great.

But Kane himself, would not be.

20 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

u ain't getting a kadri for 6mil long term.. if he's signing for 6mil long term? why wouldn't he stay in colorado they have plenty of cap space this year to sign kadri a goalie and their bottom 6 and a team that is a legit contenders for years to come

You're right I forgot Colorado have lots of caproom. But Kadri is not some bona fide signing. 32 points and 36 points only the previous 2 seasons before this. Stepping into 32 years old a 6 mil x 7 year contract is actually quite risky. 

21 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

u ain't getting a kadri for 6mil long term.. if he's signing for 6mil long term? why wouldn't he stay in colorado they have plenty of cap space this year to sign kadri a goalie and their bottom 6 and a team that is a legit contenders for years to come

Don't forget McKinnon likely will end up the highest paid hockey player after next season.    His salary is doubling.   No way he gets less then 12 which would be a discount.    And Makars cap hit .. Rantenen.. they will quickly end up like other good teams (CHI when Toews and Kane signed their monster deals)...it's extremely difficult for good teams to stay good in this league when they have top end talent.    Double edge sword because you also need that to win.   Their window will end up much like WSH, PIT etc ... end up needing to wait until cap goes up.   But think they've got a long one anyways just like those teams had. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I'd would rather have speedy, large forwards that are defensively responsible, and can score, and knock you into next week.

I want players that help dictate play, not the team to have to respond to the other team. We need guys that will wear you down.

That's way more effective than a guy for one game can get into your head. Or gets suspended in the playoffs.

I'll take a Jerome Iginla over a Kadri or Kane any day.

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'd would rather have speedy, large forwards that are defensively responsible, and can score, and knock you into next week.

I want players that help dictate play, not the team to have to respond to the other team. We need guys that will wear you down.

That's way more effective than a guy for one game can get into your head. Or gets suspended in the playoffs.

Iginla might be the last power forward we see for awhile that's HHOF level...they just don't exist anymore.   Miller is decent that way though ... same with Zib in NY.   Wilson is a D-bag but i'm sure they love him in WSH.   Used to be there was a ton of guys like Kane and Kadri (on ice) ... both will get decent deals ... Kane is a question mark

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So my choice is a Hockey Hall Of Fame level player, or Kane or Kadri?

Yah, I agree, take the Hockey Hall Of Famer :)

Edited by gurn

On 5/25/2022 at 10:13 PM, Azzy said:

I didn't like Raffi. I didn't like Lappy biting people. But neither Burrows nor Kesler were repeatedly suspended by the league for headshots, repeatedly glossed over for other headshots, and never suckered punched other players like the Bruins did. You can claim the 2011 Canucks were filled with Dorchester all you want, but we were the Captain America of those Finals, facing off against Hydra.

I love Raffi.... He was exactly what we needed. If anything we needed another Torres to destroy Ratboy... 

Imagine 11 years later we still discuss Ratboy... that's how far up under our skin he got...and awe are only fans. Imagine how the players felt....

• Vintage 1

On 5/30/2022 at 1:36 PM, Alflives said:

Players in years gone by could play good and fight.  I’m trying to think of the last really good player who was tough as hell (fighting tough and mean).  Was it Iginla?  

I think Mackinnon fights, but it’s not like he’s a feared fighter like Iginla was. 

Now, with the gone era over, young high end skill players should be adding fighting to their skill set.  It would be a huge add to what they bring.  Imagine if in every scrum (after whistles) our top minute guys could throw down like that!  Stay in their weight class and pound a top skilled guy on the other team.  Give the guy no choice but to fight.  

Who, from our top guys, do we have that could play like that? 

Pods and (if he makes it) Klim

Petey would be a fantastic fighter if he trained for it.  Long arms and wiry strong.  Grip and rip. 

Benn is a decent player and fights as well.... 

But Don't remember any as good as Iginla...and he 

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

Benn is a decent player and fights as well.... 

But Don't remember any as good as Iginla...and he 

Shanny ... he was pretty awesome.   Howe of course and Mark Messier the name that shouldn't be spoken lol.   Others too.   But yes Iginla was kind of the last of the power forwards .. Lindros, Neely ... and so many guys a level lower like Kevin Stevens, Shane Corson,  Gary Roberts, Rick Tochett, Clark Gilles, Mel Bridgeman, Wendel Clark... that's just off the top of my head but get where your going with this - really they're weren't that many.   Shanny, Messier, Howe, Neely are better or debatable, but not many guys.  Only thing id say about Iginla was he was a bit of a slow starter, and a lot of guys aged out before he became a world beater.    For sure a top end guy in the 2000's though. 

• Cheers 1

On 5/30/2022 at 8:42 AM, wai_lai416 said:

Avs are looking at MacKinnon  UFA next year for budgeting purposes... that eats a huge amount of that cap hit, they only have 6 forwards signed for next year, no goalie signed...

Have to sign Manson, Kadri, a #1 Goalie, Burakovsky, Nichushkin, Lehkonen all while assuming MacKinnon will be 10Mill +

They do not have as much cap space as you think...

Edited by Canucklehead73
spelling