The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada is the Best

UFCanuck

40 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Who here takes off their shoes before entering someone’s home? I thought all people did this, but to Americans it’s apparently something no one’s ever done.

I have not entered anyone's home in a while, but in my apartment, shoes are taken off at the door.  I have 5-pairs of shoes at my main door and 1 pair at my back door. It would be dirty to have shoes on in the home, so in the past, when people have been over, their shoes have been off, except for maintenance when in the apartment, I let that slide.  They had to fix something. If someone had their shoes on in my apartment other than maintenance, I would probably be staring at their shoes while on and be like - oh god, more wine. 

11 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Who here takes off their shoes before entering someone’s home? I thought all people did this, but to Americans it’s apparently something no one’s ever done.

I've been to the States a few times.  This was always the thing that got me the most lol.  

33 minutes ago, Industrious1 said:

I've been to the States a few times.  This was always the thing that got me the most lol.  

Something that drives my wife crazy on American TV is how frequently people get in bed with shoes on. Sure it is just an efficiency thing on TV but still yuck. 

On 5/25/2022 at 12:38 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

Agreed. I think we're definitely better than our neighbors to the south, but I'd still consider us behind most of Scandanavia.

Denmark or Finland would probably be #1 for me....

Taxes in Canada drive me nuts. I don't mind paying taxes but it seems I don't get anything for them.

I like how in some Scandavian countries the taxes are high but you get an education for free.

In one way I am really lucky as I don't need the system but it just seems like my tax dollars go no where. I get it they pay for kids to go to school etc but it just seems like more could be done I dunno.

21 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Don't get sick down there unless you have really good medical insurance. Major surgery can bankrupt even middle income earners. Low income earners often do not seek treatment because of the cost. Even drugs such as Insulin are very expensive down there compared to here.

I got sick in the US and honestly it was a dream. Being lucky enough to afford heath care it was amazing. Nothing worse than sitting in emergency for 12 hours on an emergency surgery wait list.

US you just give them your credit card and away you go.

Having said that it is absolutely not right to ever get turned away from health care based on money. Just seems like there are things to learn from both sides.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I don’t think there is a very reasonable way to answer this since it is so vague. 
For me it was a game changer and probably a life-saver moving to Canada. Housing is more expensive, heck everything is more expensive but we still maintain a significantly improved QOL over American’s as do most first world countries. 
I really don’t mind paying taxes if something positive is being done with them and in Canada I have much more confidence in that. In the US it is corporate kick backs and the war machine is what they collect taxes for. 
Your point I guess depends on the type of work. Doing my job in the US may pay a little more but has more headaches than could imagine.

Weather is nicer in some spots but I am not a sun worshipper. 
I think a recent republicans slogan defines a lot of issues Ihave with them. Jesus, Guns, babies. Get a face full of those things whether you want them or not, doesn’t matter what the majority wants, the tyranny of the minority rules the US. I want my kids to go to school where I don’t worry about them getting gunned down or told that they need to conform to a ultra-right wing religious ideals for thought, dress and sexuality. 

Great answer! I work in tech. I try not to get wrapped up in politics but I definitely agree with those points. I may have an opportunity to relocate in 1-2 years. I do really like living in Toronto but it was certainly more appealing when it was relatively affordable compared to Vancouver (now it is comparable).  I think getting around the winter issue is a lot easier now that I am a hybrid worker and could work remote in South America for a month. I can live with the insane taxes but its more so the double gut punch of housing costs AND taxes which make it seemingly impossible.

On 5/25/2022 at 11:16 PM, brilac said:

I have not entered anyone's home in a while, but in my apartment, shoes are taken off at the door.  I have 5-pairs of shoes at my main door and 1 pair at my back door. It would be dirty to have shoes on in the home, so in the past, when people have been over, their shoes have been off, except for maintenance when in the apartment, I let that slide.  They had to fix something. If someone had their shoes on in my apartment other than maintenance, I would probably be staring at their shoes while on and be like - oh god, more wine. 

Don't they usually have inside shoes or little booties to slip over?  Atleast the ones I have dealt with have.

9 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Taxes in Canada drive me nuts. I don't mind paying taxes but it seems I don't get anything for them.

I like how in some Scandavian countries the taxes are high but you get an education for free.

In one way I am really lucky as I don't need the system but it just seems like my tax dollars go no where. I get it they pay for kids to go to school etc but it just seems like more could be done I dunno.

What do you mean you don't get anything?  You are getting your health care paid for, schools, firefighters, police, MPs and Prime Mininister wage increases and fat pensions and expenses paid for life, ambulance, roads, transit, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Russ said:

What do you mean you don't get anything?  You are getting your health care paid for, schools, firefighters, police, MPs and Prime Mininister wage increases and fat pensions and expenses paid for life, ambulance, roads, transit, etc.

That's what I mean I said I am lucky enough to not use most of them but on the flip side the kids in my neighborhood do so it's not all bad.

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

That's what I mean I said I am lucky enough to not use most of them but on the flip side the kids in my neighborhood do so it's not all bad.

The frustrating thing with Canada is all the wealth is created through real estate - someone is better off making $60K pear year buying a house in 2005 vs making $200K per year buying a house post 2017 but our tax structure is so heavily weighted to income tax. Property tax is so insanely cheap and a lot of money circulating is off of tax free real estate gains. Also high salaried workers are using far less public services, medical services etc. So a baby boomer can make $350K per year in tax free gains contributing $3K in property taxes while using up far more services while a young high income worker is paying over a hundred thousand in income tax, using no services, and can't even afford to get into the housing market anymore. If you use the 3x rule at $216k any home over $650K would be unaffordable yet the average home in Canada is around $800K. When you consider a lot of those high paid jobs would be in the GTA where the average home is over $2 million it is so out of line. 

The top tax bracket should be shifted from $216K to $539K to match the US and property tax should be 2-3x higher (their average home is around $430K). 

On an approx $1M home I pay $3K per year in property tax. On the other side of the border on a $1M home in Michigan I'd be paying $15,400 per year and in New York $17,720

Edited by canucklehead44
  • Cheers 1

On 5/25/2022 at 12:49 PM, King Heffy said:

I'd be pretty happy there too except in the winter.  There will always be improvements that are possible but looking at how life is in the rest of the world, we have it pretty damn good.

Yeah, I wonder how bad it would be....both Helsinki and Turku are right on the Baltic, as is Copenhagen. (which has the added benefit of being across the bridge from Malmo)

43 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

The frustrating thing with Canada is all the wealth is created through real estate - someone is better off making $60K pear year buying a house in 2005 vs making $200K per year buying a house post 2017 but our tax structure is so heavily weighted to income tax. Property tax is so insanely cheap and a lot of money circulating is off of tax free real estate gains. Also high salaried workers are using far less public services, medical services etc. So a baby boomer can make $350K per year in tax free gains contributing $3K in property taxes while using up far more services while a young high income worker is paying over a hundred thousand in income tax, using no services, and can't even afford to get into the housing market anymore. If you use the 3x rule at $216k any home over $650K would be unaffordable yet the average home in Canada is around $800K. When you consider a lot of those high paid jobs would be in the GTA where the average home is over $2 million it is so out of line. 

The top tax bracket should be shifted from $216K to $539K to match the US and property tax should be 2-3x higher (their average home is around $430K). 

On an approx $1M home I pay $3K per year in property tax. On the other side of the border on a $1M home in Michigan I'd be paying $15,400 per year and in New York $17,720

I find high taxes also has a tendency to slow growth and creativity. Why work OT or get a second job/business when half of it goes to taxes?

That's an interesting point of view on real estate I never thought of that.

Edited by Chris12345

4 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Why work OT or get a second job/business when half of it goes to taxes?

Why work at all?- If your problem is taxes, they can be mostly avoided by simply not working.

• Like 1

For all those who think the US health care system is better:

https://www.cheknews.ca/new-law-puts-nhl-great-konstantinovs-24-7-care-in-jeopardy-1036537https://www.cheknews.ca/new-law-puts-nhl-great-konstantinovs-24-7-care-in-jeopardy-1036537/

This was painful to read as someone who was a huge fan of the way he played the game and remember how brutal that accident was.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

https://www.cheknews.ca/new-law-puts-nhl-great-konstantinovs-24-7-care-in-jeopardy-1036537https://www.cheknews.ca/new-law-puts-nhl-great-konstantinovs-24-7-care-in-jeopardy-1036537/

This was painful to read as someone who was a huge fan of the way he played the game and remember how brutal that accident was.

So much for contract is a contract.

I'd guess there will be a class action lawsuit, which will likely win- costing the people of Michigan in court costs, reputational damage, and just general ill will.

Also note the politicians that say "We didn't mean for past cases to be effected"

HOW ABOUT READING THE FREAKING BILL YOU ARE VOTING ON!!!!!!!!.

Those ones should be turfed out of office-automatically.

15 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

It's not better. It has pros and cons. Mostly cons. No one should be denied health care based on finances.

The question is what can be learned? There's always learnings, could be minor but there are learnings.

53 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

It's not better. It has pros and cons. Mostly cons. No one should be denied health care based on finances.

The question is what can be learned? There's always learnings, could be minor but there are learnings.

I agree with this. I don't have too much of a problem with the total taxes it's more so on how the taxes are distributed. Young families are taking the brunt of the tax burden making it so hard to get started while middle class boomers are sitting in big homes and millions of equity and paying very little. If property tax were to increase more in proportion I'd much rather see older couples have to downsize their homes to move into condos and have families in condos move into homes. Homes and home equity are being hoarded because of the tax structure. 

Actually what I find interesting where I live in Toronto is commercial buildings sitting vacant for years. Not being rented out or torn down just empty - I've lived in this area since 2017 and there are large buildings that have not been occupied over the time I've lived here. That just seems wild to me given the value of the land and the housing shortage. Like who is paying to just have it sit vacant?

Edited by canucklehead44