The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Balanced Offseason Moves

9 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Basically, exactly this.

If Miller's going to be traded, he's going to a team that plans on competing for the cup next year, and we retain some salary to juice up the returns even more. Basically its gotta be a team thats fine with selling the farm and bet it all on next year.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Rangers circle back too.

To NYR:
Miller at 50% retained

To VAN:
- 2022 1st (contingent on NYR losing to Carolina - if they beat Carolina, they actually have to give this 1st to Winnipeg, and I guess they trade us their 2023 1st instead)
- Filip Chytil
- Nils Lundkvist
- Matthew Robertson
- Brennan Othmann

NYR gets a 100 point gamebreaker for 2.5m next year (lmfao) and we get a 1st, 3 fantastic prospects, and a 3C with upside (chytil). 

Expecting 5 high end pieces in return for a pending UFA is a bit too optimistic 

17 minutes ago, Provost said:

People need to start thinking about “win now” more differently under the cap era.

Young RFA players coming out of their ELC are now getting full market value contracts just like they were UFAs.  That never used to be the case at all, the economies of the game have changed.

What that has done is given a big push to “win now” when you have high end players on their ELCs when you are getting the most out of their contract efficiencies with the most surplus value.

We had a window to compete with Hughes and Petterson only taking up $2 million in cap combined and performing at $10-15 million above that.  We squandered that by being anchored with expensive inefficient contracts.  Now we are paying full freight for those players and have no cap space to improve the team around them.

Jersey has put themselves into a position with an excellent young core, and incredible pipeline of prospects ready to keep giving them efficient ELCs in the lineup for the next 5 years or so…. And they have no cap issues at all with expensive legacy contacts like Subban now off the books.

It is win now time for Jersey where they should be adding immediate impact players and even giving away futures. A trade like this makes sense for them and makes them much better now.  The term on guys like Pearson and Myers is perfect as it isn’t long and they expire as the Devils have prospects that should be graduating to fill those spots for cheap.  The money freed up can be used to pay the raises for their players coming off their ELCs.  Jersey is where we want to be and what JR is talking about being a continual playoffs team.  They have a super bright future.

They have over $25 million in cap space for 6-8 roster spots.  Miller makes a TON of sense for them.  Myers and Pearson aren’t cap dumps now that they don’t have as much term left.  Pearson is probably worth a 3rd round pick and Myers is probably neutral value.  He would cost what he is earning on the open market.

It doesn’t make sense for us to re-sign Miller because we are in a different position.  We don’t have any pipeline of players coming in and we have a cap crunch with expensive players on the books.  We are having to decide which players to let go just to keep us under the cap as raised come due… and that isn’t even trying to make the team better, just trying to tread water as a non playoff team fighting to occasionally get into a wildcard spot.

Thank you, that answers my query as to whether or not they are a 'win now' team. And also Baby Huggy has arisen as a NHL caliber force, which also helps them and their cap a lot. The added incentive for them is that Myers and Pearson have shown to excel in under playoff pressure. They have the cap room, let's see what happens.

NJ was 15.6 in PP %, ranking them near the bottom of the NHL rankings. I would posit that OEL may be another option instead of Myers.  Especially because the PP has shown to be very integral in the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

Expecting 5 high end pieces in return for a pending UFA is a bit too optimistic 

I think it would work for a team going all in next year.

Having a 100pt 1C at 2.5m even for one season is an insane edge in your contending window.

I'm tryna think of it the other way around:

If we were at the top of our division, a Stanley Cup favorite, and Calgary offered us Gaudreau for 1 year at 2.5m, and they asked for: Rathbone, Klim, 2x 1sts, Hoglander, I'd say we should do it and try to win it all that year. 

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Thank you, that answers my query as to whether or not they are a 'win now' team. And also Baby Huggy has arisen as a NHL caliber force, which also helps them and their cap a lot. The added incentive for them is that Myers and Pearson have shown to excel in under playoff pressure. They have the cap room, let's see what happens.

NJ was 15.6 in PP %, ranking them near the bottom of the NHL rankings. I would posit that OEL may be another option instead of Myers.  Especially because the PP has shown to be very integral in the playoffs. 

If OEL would waive and they wanted him, absolutely.  He has more term left, so I think is a harder pill for them as the benefit of Myers and Pearson are they are great short term fill ins that help them now.

Jersey still has a Hughes and a Boeser equivalent coming up to the big club in the next couple years  and both those guys will quickly be in the top half of their lineup.  They are set so well for cap going forward with continual high end ELCs filtering in.

They should be a playoff team if they add some veterans next season, and then have 5+ years of internal improvement with guys hitting their prime and new blue chip prospects.

The rangers are in a similar position, but wit both as much cap flexibility.

• Huggy Bear 1

Definitely like the moves in this proposal.  Have to say a pairing of OEL and Klingberg would be pretty amazing, and that doesn’t even factor in them being a second pair after Hughes.  

If we got 2OA, obviously Slafkovsky is the pick but if you traded it down to Seattle (Maybe 2OA for Geekie and 4OA) and got Nemec instead, you could have pairings in a couple years of:

Hughes Nemec

OEL Klingberg

Rathbone Schenn/Juulson/Woo/Someone

Edited by Kobayashi Maru
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Definitely like the moves in this proposal.  Have to say a pairing of OEL and Klingberg would be pretty amazing, and that doesn’t even factor in them being a second pair after Hughes.  

If we got 2OA, obviously Slafkovsky is the pick but if you traded it down to Seattle (Maybe 2OA with Geekie for 4OA) and got Nemec instead, you could have pairings in a couple years of:

Hughes Nemec

OEL Klingberg

Rathbone Schenn/Juulson/Woo/Someone

Yep exactly… a power forward or a young blue chip RHD.  I would actually like Jiricek more as a pairing for Hughes… but being fine with any of those three means you have a chance to trade down and still get one.

You can trade to 4th, and still trade down a spot if there were two of them left at that pick, which there might be

• Cheers 1