The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rutherford interview on Donnie & Dhali

Rate this topic

Googlie

On 5/28/2022 at 11:52 AM, Fred65 said:

Frankly that's BS. the Luong contract was agreed with by both parties and approved by the league. Bettemman undermined the Canucks by retroactively chnaging the Luongo contract. Luongo for domestic reasons needed to return to Miami to pacify Mrs Luongo. In some ways it was similar to the Bure hold out, almost impossible to get a fair return. That wasn't on Gillis it was on Luongo/Betteman

It wasn't Bettman, it was the owners, and the NHLPA agreed to it. Nothing goes into the CBA without owner approval. Just as nothing goes into the CBA without the NHLPA voting in favor of it. Bettman is just the middle man between the two. Plus at the time Lou's contract wasn't the only one that could be affected by the new clause so it wasn't a Vancouver specific clause. Lou is just the only guy that didn't use LTIR to run out his contract and avoid penalty. Lou plays out his contract, that was signed in good faith. there is no penalty. The truth is the deal was cap circumvention and Lou had no actual intention of playing out the entire contract. If the contract was true and honest there would be no penalty at all. I had no problem with that clause. Lou's contract wasn't changed retroactively, it remained exactly the same. The CBA changed to penalize teams if, and only if, players on these deals didn't play them out.

On 5/30/2022 at 8:11 AM, Baratheon said:

Reinhart is a productive player but his play was very concerning in the playoffs.  I'd personally be pretty upset if this trade happened.  

I like Samoskevich though, for what it's worth.

I would buy a Samoskevich Jersey, it has great marketing potential.

Especially in our market where people will probably add an A in the middle. SamosAkevich :lol:

I'm not worried about Reinharts playoff production. After playing in Buffalo, it takes time to recover proper form. 

9 minutes ago, playboi19 said:

I would buy a Samoskevich Jersey, it has great marketing potential.

Especially in our market where people will probably add an A in the middle. SamosAkevich :lol:

I'm not worried about Reinharts playoff production. After playing in Buffalo, it takes time to recover proper form. 

Rhino is too slow and very soft.  Not a fan.  

• Like 2

Apparently JR thinks Canucks locker room is a country club. According to Kypper and John Shannon on Bob McCowns show. 

If this is the case. Imo he thinks we need a new Captain, someone who can lay the law down when needed. 

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/nhl-insiders-report-rutherford-thinks-canucks-room-is-a-country-club-5467588

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Apparently JR thinks Canucks locker room is a country club. According to Kypper and John Shannon on Bob McCowns show. 

If this is the case. Imo he thinks we need a new Captain, someone who can lay the law down when needed. 

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/nhl-insiders-report-rutherford-thinks-canucks-room-is-a-country-club-5467588

There would be a bidding war for Bo.  

Could we go back not next season with no Bo and no Miller?  

I think we should then trade Demko because we would be tanking and Demko is too good for that.

imagine the return for those three!

Bo

Miller

Demko

im thinking the Devils, who badly need a goalie, would fork over 2OA for Demko.

Hell, the bidding for Demko (with his contract) could go extremely high.  

59 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

There's a big thread I started on this! come on over! its fun! haha

• Cheers 1

On 5/27/2022 at 4:01 PM, Pears said:

So how come teams like Colorado are cup contenders year after year all the while having multiple top prospects in their system?

Between 2007-2018 they won a single round and made the playoffs 4 out of 12 seasons so your premise about them being cup contenders year after year is just plain incorrect.  Since 2011 they have had a 1st, 2nd and two 4th overall picks in the first round.  The Canucks luck in the lottery has been terrible by comparison netting two 5th, one 7th and one 9th overall in the same period.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RogersTowell said:

Between 2007-2018 they won a single round and made the playoffs 4 out of 12 seasons so your premise about them being cup contenders year after year is just plain incorrect.  Since 2011 they have had a 1st, 2nd and two 4th overall picks in the first round.  The Canucks luck in the lottery has been terrible by comparison netting two 5th, one 7th and one 9th overall in the same period.

But part of that was Sakic's understanding that the core they had wasn't going to win, and he sold off assets like ROR, Duschesne, Barrie. While JB has been unwilling to make the hard moves necessary. Sakic understood to reset you need to be in a good position to draft high, JB seemed to want to 'retool' and still try and make the playoffs, and in the end, hurt our draft odds. You can tank because its needed to move forward.

In business strategy what JB did is what's called 'being stuck in the middle'. Where you try to undertake multiple strategies to please everyone. You can't. You have to be honest with where a team is, what needs to be done, and then go do it, not fiddle and tinker, be decisive. Sakic deserves alot of credit for making very hard decisions and re-setting his franchise. 

Edited by NucknAsia
  • Cheers 1

I think the thing that bugs me the most, is the Canucks Management/ownership pushing the club in the final weeks of the season, for playoff spots that were historically lost back in November. Yes, it is true that teams can go on winning streaks and get in at the end, but the truth of it is, teams seldom do.

Now, what really bugs me about this is that playoff teams are resting their players to some extent, if their position is somewhat solidified, and then the Canucks would win a few, pass teams that were already packing it in, and would end up with a lesser pick. and a false narrative that we were getting better, when in fact we were not.

In saying that, it is in the past and I suspect, that this new management has a different philosophy, and will act accordingly. It is to be seen! 

3 hours ago, NucknAsia said:

But part of that was Sakic's understanding that the core they had wasn't going to win, and he sold off assets like ROR, Duschesne, Barrie. While JB has been unwilling to make the hard moves necessary. Sakic understood to reset you need to be in a good position to draft high, JB seemed to want to 'retool' and still try and make the playoffs, and in the end, hurt our draft odds. You can tank because its needed to move forward.

In business strategy what JB did is what's called 'being stuck in the middle'. Where you try to undertake multiple strategies to please everyone. You can't. You have to be honest with where a team is, what needs to be done, and then go do it, not fiddle and tinker, be decisive. Sakic deserves alot of credit for making very hard decisions and re-setting his franchise. 

They got lucky with the high pick from Ottawa give the Canucks that pick and they would be a year ahead and don’t forget Green has made us look like a Lottery Team.

Edited by CanuckleHorse