The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks enhance player development department

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Really great news and excellent, smart use of the Sedins along with bolstering the department with even more proven, effective experience. This looks to be the beginning of a proper player development pipeline that leverages Abbotsford and hopefully/finally prepares prospects in the right manner.

We've spent so many years rushing prospects or not developing them properly. This is a chance for the organization to finally get it right for the future with the right people. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Daniel and Henrik providing on-ice development to the prospects?  Invaluable!  I think Linus Karlsson could develop into a Top 6 NHL player, how cool it'll be for him to be working with the Sedins.

Yeah, that “working daily on and off the ice with young players” part is exciting. Can’t wait to see what kind of impact the Sedins will have. And I’m sure the players (especially any Swedes and local kids who grew up watching them) are psyched for their chance to work with the twins.

The Sedins are really keeping to their plan to learn every aspect of the business. It’ll be quite interesting to see what eventually “clicks” for Hank and Danny, and where their post-playing careers take them. I’m still assuming it’ll eventually be on the senior management side (GM/PoHO type of positions, when they’re ready), but it’s also possible this on-ice work with prospects ignites a passion for coaching in one (or both) of the twins.

31 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

I mean, what better way to get young hockey players excited and motivated for their future careers than to work with that group of former players. 

The Sedins and Samuelsson all went to Game 7 of the SCF, they know what it takes. This is really great, it'll be inspiring for the young guys and they'll enter the NHL knowing how to play the game.

Nice to see some sandpaper guys in the mix. Samuelsson and Komisarek could both play and win in the trenches as well as put up points on the scoreboard.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Sedins getting on ice to work directly with players and prospects is great, but I'm actually more intrigued by Samuelsson's hiring. 

Samuelsson was a 5th Rd pick and took a few seasons before he found his footing in the NHL.  Not the fastest player, nor particularly physical, but very smart, had a great shot, solid passer, and provided a lot of sandpaper even if he wasn't necessarily hitting guys all the time.  Could be a good guy to bring in to help less less "exciting" prospects think through how best to lean on their strengths and overcome weaknesses to still contribute in the NHL.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, Chronic.Canuck said:

Sedins pretty much as skill coaches? Those guys are pretty good at hockey.

Petey gonna blow up next season.

I think professionalism and work ethic is part of player development too.   

I like the announcement. Love Samuelsson too, glad he is back in the organization. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Get yourselves some rollerblades prospects!

We’re going for a 40 mile hill skate!

I hope the twins understand we are not all created equally and they have a unique aerobic capacity.  Guys can train their guts out and be as lean as possible and never come close to the twin's level.

• Huggy Bear 2

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I hope the twins understand we are not all created equally and they have a unique aerobic capacity.  Guys can train their guts out and be as lean as possible and never come close to the twin's level.

I doubt they would expect each individual player/prospect to match their ability.  They didn't seem to try and enforce any of that when they were leaders on the roster.  They might expect them to at least try and match their commitment to fitness, however.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why are you so extremely concerned about so many aspects of this team right now when nothing has even happed and there’s no indication you should be concerned about each of these things. Always worrying about “what ifs” in life get you nowhere fast! 

• Like 1