The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks enhance player development department

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I'm shocked with Komisarek being signed, the guys got balls the size of King Kong taking on Lucic and getting his a$$ handed to him but he'd take on ANYONE.. 

That's surprising, especially since your team has been soft as butter for the majority of it's existence. Hope it rubs off on the players when it comes time to stand up for each other, can never have enough of that. Especially guys who are built for the corner battles we need to win a lot more of as well. We need all the help we can get! 

If we had that when we took on Boston as in our roster WITH depth would have won us the cup... 

1 hour ago, Mustard Tiger said:

You can move on you know? Rent free JB strikes again!

We have a hall of fame president and one of the most experienced & winning % wise coaches out there.. it seems funny to me people still have no trust in that level of hockey minds. Worried over things that would be common sense to them.

But yes Jim Benning and Co has everything to do with that:huh:

Meanwhile I show that you are using old logic regarding the new hires

Every person that has any job in the NHL has more experience than I do, that does not make them all automatically good at their jobs

your reasoning is flawed whether I bring up JB and TG or not

We have a very experienced president, but many below him are new at their jobs

just because they were good at their old jobs does not make it a slam dunk that they will be good at their new jobs

10 minutes ago, lmm said:

Meanwhile I show that you are using old logic regarding the new hires

Every person that has any job in the NHL has more experience than I do, that does not make them all automatically good at their jobs

your reasoning is flawed whether I bring up JB and TG or not

We have a very experienced president, but many below him are new at their jobs

just because they were good at their old jobs does not make it a slam dunk that they will be good at their new jobs

I appreciate the effort, but you are digging way too deep into what I said..

I just have a slight issue with fans/media thinking the organization can't think of these common sense things people worry overly about

26 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I appreciate the effort, but you are digging way too deep into what I said..

I just have a slight issue with fans/media thinking the organization can't think of these common sense things people worry overly about

that is pretty funny given what the organization has done in the last 8-10 years 

See the source image

Edited by lmm

7 minutes ago, lmm said:

that is pretty funny given what the organization has done in the last 8-10 years 

Yeah hey. Cup final, and drafted a superstar at every key position. Not bad when you compare it to most. 

5 maybe 6 yearly competitive teams out of 32 in that time span. 

Why do you guys act like we are in the minority... one of the only teams to have a peak at the near top, and near bottom. Everyone in the world knows we did it as poor as you could, with the cheapest front offices ever.. 

What teams like Tampa, Chi, Pitt ect have done over that time span is rare. Snap out of this additude like it's normal to win a cup, Sell off all your expiring junk for picks, rebuild in 3 years and win another cup. That doesn't happen lol. 

Every team makes poor choices, just like we did / do

8 hours ago, GB5 said:

Nice to see some sandpaper guys in the mix. Samuelsson and Komisarek could both play and win in the trenches as well as put up points on the scoreboard.

Wut?  Komisarek's career 81 points in 551 games may suggest something different.  Just a hunch, but I'm going bet the Mike Komisarek has been brought in to help develop defensive skills, something he had plenty of during his playing days.  And also, teach the kids how to drive monkeys like Lucic crazy. 

In all seriousness, Sedins, Samuelsson and Komisarek are great hires, for all the reasons everyone has listed.  Looking forward to seeing how the young prospects develop under the watchful eye of Granato, Johnson, and the new hires.

9 hours ago, Muttley said:

Really pleased Mikael Samuelsson is on board. Played with grit, played hurt, even had a wee bit of a temper. Canucks missed him greatly when he left to cash in.         

Samuelsson was traded to Florida in the Booth trade.

7 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I doubt they would expect each individual player/prospect to match their ability.  They didn't seem to try and enforce any of that when they were leaders on the roster.  They might expect them to at least try and match their commitment to fitness, however.

Agree...

They lead by example, and if that doesn't motivate you, nothing will... just hope we'll never see another OJ floating on the ice again. We should never be beat because of poor conditioning...

Love that they will be part of it again. 

2 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

And also, teach the kids how to drive monkeys like Lucic crazy. 

Hopefully not haha 

Loving this. 

With Komisarek you get a guy who maybe wasn't naturally gifted as an elite player or top pairing D man, but a guy who was able to grind out a 500+ game career as a core roster player on some good teams.

And then we all know what the others bring.

A lot of games between these guys, our young prospects just gained some serious mentors. 

It makes me wonder how Virtanen, Juolevi, Gaudette, Gadjovich and MacEwen would've turned out for the Canucks if they had proper Player Development. What a waste. Hopefully they can still develop Woo into an NHL Dman.  

15 minutes ago, NucknAsia said:

Their path was not easy either. They did not come in like Crosby and hit 100 pts (not that it was easy for him but point is he had immediate success).

For 2nd/3rd overall picks, their development was a-typical. Very slow, hard work, to turn into Hall of Famers. That process, that effort, that drive, that commitment to improvement every year, and the abuse they took along the way from fans, media etc, made them some of the mentally toughest (and physically toughest for all the abuse they took on the ice), players to play the game. I can't think of better role models for our prospects than them. 

They send a message to our prospects that its earned through commitment and effort not raw talent, and their path shows it was earned, and their success shows you need to stay committed to be the best. Brilliant move.

This. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

It makes me wonder how Virtanen, Juolevi, Gaudette, Gadjovich and MacEwen would've turned out for the Canucks if they had proper Player Development. What a waste. Hopefully they can still develop Woo into an NHL Dman.  

Don't think much could have been done for Jake, it is a personality issue with him. It came easy, he didn't know how to work hard, and clearly has entitlement issues. Perhaps Juolevi had similar issues but to a lesser extent and we know injuries hurt his development. 

Gadj and MacEwen have developed fairly well but it seems from their own drive and committment

Without the drive to be their best/committment, its hard to get a player to develop. You see so many with so much skill but who lack the drive. That's the difference at that level. 

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

About driving monkeys crazy... are you sure you're not thinking of Jarkko?  :bigblush:

Best Jarkko GIFs | Gfycat

:lol::lol::lol:

One of the greatest moments in hockey history. :lol:

I’d rate Ruutu’s troll job on Phaneuf right up there with the “Flying Orr” goal and Paul Henderson at the Summit Series . ;) 

Speaking of Jarkko Ruutu, would love to get him back working with the Canucks in some capacity, if they could ever poach him away from Columbus.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 3

On 5/30/2022 at 11:06 AM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Canucks enhance player development department:

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Patrik Allvin announced today that the club has made multiple additions to its Player Development staff to support the growth of Canucks prospects at all levels.

After spending a season gaining knowledge and experience in the club's Hockey Operations department as Special Advisors to the General Manager, Daniel and Henrik Sedin will transition to new roles within Player Development, working daily on and off the ice with young players in Vancouver and Abbotsford. Joining the club are former NHLers Mikael Samuelsson and Mike Komisarek who will primarily work with Canucks prospects throughout the organization.

Assistant General Manager Cammi Granato will continue to oversee the Player Development department alongside Senior Director, Player Development and Abbotsford Canucks General Manager Ryan Johnson, while Chris Higgins remains in his current position as Assistant Director, Player Development.

"We're pleased to have solidified our Player Development department for next season with the additions of Mikael Samuelsson and Mike Komisarek, as well as Daniel and Henrik Sedin," said Allvin. "Cammi Granato and Ryan Johnson led an extensive search to find the individuals with the right attributes, winning pedigrees, and who fit the overall strategy of the Vancouver Canucks moving forward."

Samuelsson, 45, most recently served as general manager of Södertälje SK in the HockeyAllsvenskan league for parts of three seasons from 2019.20 to 2021.22. Previously, he spent three seasons as a European development coach for the Chicago Blackhawks from 2017.18 to 2019.20.  

Prior to his coaching and management career, Samuelsson appeared in 699 career regular season games over the course of a 13-year NHL career split between Detroit, Florida, Vancouver, Pittsburgh, New York Rangers, and San Jose, collecting 346 points (149-197-346) and 370 penalty minutes. The right winger played 155 games with the Canucks from 2009.10 to 2011.12, during which he recorded his two highest offensive outputs of his career, tallying 30 goals and 53 points (30-23-53) in 2009.10, followed by another 50-point season (18-32-50) in 2010.11 to help the Canucks earn their first ever Presidents' Trophy.

A native of Mariefred, Sweden, Samuelsson is a member of the Triple Gold Club, having won a gold medal at the Olympic Games (2006) and World Championship (2006) in addition to a Stanley Cup Championship with the Detroit Red Wings in 2007.08. He played in 104 career playoff contests, including 23 with Vancouver, registering 60 points (23-37-60).

Komisarek, 40, joins the organization after spending three seasons as a player development coach for the Buffalo Sabres from 2017.18 to 2019.20. Previously, he spent two seasons as an undergraduate assistant coach with the Michigan Wolverines at the University of Michigan while he completed his degree in Sports Management and Communication.

Selected by Montreal in the first round, seventh overall in the 2001 NHL Entry Draft, Komisarek played 551 career regular season games over 11 seasons in the NHL as a defenceman with Montreal, Toronto, and Carolina, recording 81 points (14-67-81) and 679 penalty minutes. He also collected three points (1-2-3) and 56 penalty minutes in 29 career playoff games.

Originally from West Islip, New York, Komisarek also represented the United States on multiple occasions, including two times each at the World Junior Championships and the World Hockey Championships.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/canucks-enhance-player-development-department/c-334381328

Willing to give this a chance and wish them success...