The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Great News for the Future.. Nuclear Fussion Breakthrough

SilentSam

A major breakthrough, possibly 30 years away,.  But with the way technology and innovation is working in this day and age.. perhaps we see it quicker.

Something I think our government should embrace and invest in.

Demographically ,  we could set the template , and be discovering the best course for infrastructure.

cheers.!!

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Meh.  We STILL have to significantly cut down on the pollution that we are making now and refrain from pinning all our hopes on some magical technological solution to the mess we've already made.  Sure, nice clean fusion power would be great, but it's still a ways a way from being a reality and the real reality is that we're creating too much pollution RIGHT NOW.  Way too much.  I've heard about "breakthroughs" in nuclear fusion technology every few years for last 5 decades.  I'm not saying it's all BS, it's great news, but we still have to clean up how we're producing energy right now.  We can't let "breakthroughs" like this distract us from the real issue which is reducing our dependence on fossil fuels.  Because people want the distraction and don't want to change the status quo, which by the way is leading us to disaster with or without fusion.

13 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Soon, we shall have the power needed to construct the Death Sta....... errrrr, I mean...provide clean energy to all humanity!!! ;)

Not completely funny. I'm sure potentially uniimited power across the globe will obliterate all political checks and balances. 

I wondered with dismay and the vitriol of the announcement by Pons and Fleishmann way-back- when but it makes sense given the threat to the status quo that it represesnted.

Imagine if magic carpets were invented. Great! Now everyone can fly everywhere! Oh wait... 

It has to happen though. I just hope we're mature enough to adapt. 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, frank einstein said:

Not completely funny. I'm sure potentially uniimited power across the globe will obliterate all political checks and balances. 

I wondered with dismay and the vitriol of the announcement by Pons and Fleishmann way-back- when but it makes sense given the threat to the status quo that it represesnted.

Imagine if magic carpets were invented. Great! Now everyone can fly everywhere! Oh wait... 

It has to happen though. I just hope we're mature enough to adapt. 

I love your optimism....  ;)

• Haha 1

The issue is can they produce fusion that makes more energy than it takes to run, and keep it running. 

It's been 20-30 years away since I was 15, and that's 40 years ago. 

Maybe it's time to look at molten salt reactors and thorium. 

That is something that can be done now. (Oakridge Laboratory in the states did it in the 1960's)

On 5/31/2022 at 8:30 AM, VegasCanuck said:

I love your optimism....  ;)

Actually, the "No wait..." meant i think it's a bad idea once you consider the possibilities. One example is if magic carpets existed post 9/11.

I usually think it's good if there are brakes on revolutionary things -- let things evolve properly -- but with this I'm not sure we have the luxury of time. 

• Cheers 1